Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Items or tips do you wish you had have taken thought of when you first started motohomming.

I haven't even got my first MH but I do like to be prepared as much as I can so I would like to call on the collective advise of the people that have been there and done it.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
We bought this book before we bought our first motorhome! Found it very useful!
I have a spare copy if you want it PM me and I can send it to you.:)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I still fail to understand how I made it into my 50s before owning a digital multimeter and using a soldering iron.

A basic understanding of how 12v electrics work has proven very handy for me, not least when a dealership failed to install my solar panel properly and I was able to point out their error.

Layout - our choice was based on not wanting to convert beds into chairs into dining tables into beds etc ad nauseam, which had been the case in our old VW.

Given the layout is right, I wish I'd got comfier chairs in the habitation area. If I was buying again I'd go for the swivelly cab seats option to make better use of the space, but we were on a budget first time round.

Having the telly high up may give you a crick in your neck - think about where's comfortable to watch a screen, and whether that space is available for it.

If you want to be truly independent when travelling have a solar panel fitted, and consider getting a refillable gas cylinder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think I have already nailed down the layout that would be good for my clan.

Are there any little tips that you guys maybe didn't think of before setting out on your first trip?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't forget some drinking water, we take a 5L from any of the supermarkets, refill that and use for drinking and making tea. You never know how your fresh water tank has been looked after, and will want to get away as soon as you can, factor in giving water system a good clean. Assuming this is a used van. Think through your day, washing, dressing, eating and take the minimum you need for that, don't forget a can opener, it is the thing we have been asked to lend the most. have some for of entertainment for you all, think stuck in the van in a muddy wet field miles from anywhere. Take your favourite tipple, relax and enjoy. Don't forget about the payload ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Are there any little tips that you guys maybe didn't think of before setting out on your first trip?
If you have several people (as opposed to just 1 or 2) you are going to carry then payload becomes even more important, and even more difficult to keep within. And the number of proper belted travel seats also becomes very important. You will be surprised at how often you will come across motorhomes that have berths for 5 or 6, but seat belts or only 3 or 4 people.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
DON'T visit an accessory shop and think "that would be a good idea"! Get a couple of trips under your belt first to find out what you REALLY need. I bet most of us on here have got a box (or even half a garage full) of bits they bought but then found they didn't need them. That will go part way towards "payload"!

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Something to drain the washed dishes etc onto. We use a microfibre sponge thingy from Lakeland (cheaper elsewhere) which is easy to dry out and store. Also a small container for washing up liquid. We have a 30ml (ish) sample size that we have had since our caravanning days (20 years ago). We've never seen any since and would be loathe to lose it! It all helps with the weight (did somebody mention payload?).

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes , check the payload if you've got kids and all the trimmings that go with them.
You may be on for a shock if you plan on taking bikes , scooters , kayacs etc. Go to a weigh bridge with you the wife and kids plus any pets in the van. Before you start to decide what you'd like to take with you........... There may be just enough for a tank of water some clothes and a bit of food. Depending on how much all the family weigh.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Also a small container for washing up liquid. We have a 30ml (ish) sample size that we have had since our caravanning days (20 years ago). We've never seen any since and would be loathe to lose it! It all helps with the weight (did somebody mention payload?).
We've got a mini ( white plastic) fairy washing up liquid bottle, we used to use when tenting with the kids , and before kids ! We've had it that long , I washed it out and put it in the loft with other sentimental bits and bobs and use a normal one in Pug now.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Only 2 important things to remember

1 Layout Layout Layout

2 Sense of humour

Getting the first right will save a fortune and loads of heartache.
The second copes with everything else motorhoming chucks at you.
:)(y)

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
You can try too hard to "get it right" so Forestboy's no2 is by far the MOST important. Try to remember this is supposed to be fun.:):)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't buy from accessory ships, poundland and the like, range, B&M, supermarkets are, on a whole, cheaper. Have 3 of the foam drainer things, use one to cushion hob lid and stop the rattles, other 2 are used as intended. know it i great to get new, but as much from home as possible, then anything you don't really need goes back where it came from.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

Know where the fuses in the van are, and take some spares. Measure the height and width of the van and have it on a sticker within sight of the driver. For first trip, go somewhere close to home! We found out our leisure battery was knackered on the first night when after half an hour it suddenly went very dark.....

Don't spend a fortune on accessories beyond the bare minimum until you've been away a couple of times and worked out what you really want & need - our van came with a brand new "safari room" (sides & front to turn a wind out awing into a full awning), previous owners clearly never used it, we used it once and are unlikely to ever use it again. An expensive mistake for someone. We've got a fancy automatic satellite system on our van, a very expensive bit of kit, again on the van when we bought it - I think we've used it twice in 2 years, we tend to avoid TV when away.

I note that you say "clan" - how many kids and what age?

If they're young think about where you'll sit at night after they've gone to bed - an easy thing to forget to consider! If every seat turns into a bed, where do you sit? Some layouts aren't great - I've seen a "4 berth" with a double dinette that turned into a double bed, plus a double over the cab. Trouble is, once the dinette was turned into a bed you couldn't use the ladder to get into the bed over the cab......

If you're looking at vans with bunks, watch the size of the bunks, some aren't much use once your kids are beyond the age of about 12-14. And be careful with the number of belted travelling seats - my "7 berth" van has 6 travelling seats, it's not unusual to have less belted seats than berths.

If you've got teenagers make sure you've a USB adaptor and a charging lead for their phones - apparently the world stops revolving if they can't get on their phones at least at some point during a break. :rolleyes:

Payload - my van was at 3500kg when I bought it, a quick trip to the weighbridge showed it to weigh 3300kg empty, just me in it! Luckily I was able to get it replated to 4000kg easily and I've got the right licence.

Other than that we've never really had a problem, but I had a list of little jobs & modifications to do that got longer after every trip during the first year. If you're taking kids bikes then take a puncture repair kit - they tend to pick up thorns through tyres on campsites, especially if you stay on farms a lot ( we do ) - nothing worse than a disappointed 5 year old because you can't repair their bike, as we found in a very rural part of Wales on the Sunday before a Bank Holiday Monday!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Ohh yeah - a decent towing strap, preferably with D shackles on both ends. Bought it, hoped to never use it, but at a very wet & soft site few weeks ago boy was I glad I had it! That and the campsite owner's ancient tractor....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back