what leisure battery ? 2 x 110ah or 1 x 220ah ? via solar panel (1 Viewer)

brianrfc

Free Member
Apr 7, 2014
falkirk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hi there guys im having a little problem with my leisure batteries there only a year old and knackered so time for new ones my thoughts were on 2 x 110 ah batteries but when i started looking i noticed 1 x 220 ah battery this sounds strange but does 2 x 110 batteries charge quicker or same time as 1 x 220 ah battery via solar panel also whats better idea to go for 2 x 110ah or 1 x 220 ah ? i dont really know much about the way they charge i was thinking 1 x 220ah but got told that it might take longer to charge .......i would of thought 2 seperate batteries would take longer im so confused please help

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Both the same number of amp/hours so same amount of time to charge, 2 batteries would be easier to handle that's my thoughts.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have not heard of a battery that big but that doesn't mean too much

two points from me

1, if you can get them that big you might need to modify the mounting as it will be physically much bigger than your 110A

2, from experience we effectively lost the use of both batteries when one failed, so one might be a better option

As for charging benefits, over to the rest of you :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

brianrfc

Free Member
Apr 7, 2014
falkirk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
alpha batteries online very cheap plus free delivery my dad bought 2 x 125ah xplorer
and hes been in spain with the motorhome for a year and never had any probs living full time in motorhome watching tv for average 6 hours a day

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The first thing is how much room have I got ?
Can I lift a big battery into the space ?
And if I have 2 or more batteries and one is duff, and I take it out of line, :winky: have I still got power. :Smile:

We have 3 x 85ah batteries = 255ah and it works for us. :thumb: Bob.

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Newbie question...if you have a solar panel fitted is there really any need for large capacity storage batteries?

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Iwould say 2x 120a batteries is the way to go, due to weight and storage, but first i would investigate why you only got 1 year out of the ones you have it could be they have been damaged by over charging or over draining,
pete

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
hi there guys im having a little problem with my leisure batteries there only a year old and knackered so time for new ones my thoughts were on 2 x 110 ah batteries but when i started looking i noticed 1 x 220 ah battery this sounds strange but does 2 x 110 batteries charge quicker or same time as 1 x 220 ah battery via solar panel also whats better idea to go for 2 x 110ah or 1 x 220 ah ? i dont really know much about the way they charge i was thinking 1 x 220ah but got told that it might take longer to charge .......i would of thought 2 seperate batteries would take longer im so confused please help

Don't replace the batteries until you've worked out what fried the originals. If you killed a battery in a year, there is something wrong either with your electrical system, or the manner in which the batteries are used. Non traction lead acids do not like deep discharge, whatever the marketing sh*te on the side says.

However, once battery usage is sorted, there is no difference between 2 x 110Ah or 1 x 220Ah, provided you're strong enough to lift the 220Ah and have room to stick it. Either setup would have ridiculously high CCA and would live or die together. Personally, given identical quality, I would go on price between them.

I've got a 180Ah, and room for another, if I move the engine battery back to the engine compartment where it belongs...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back