What kit do we need to ditch from the Caravan ? (2 Viewers)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Simple question after 20 years tugging we have accumulated loads of stuff

We KNOW we won't need
Wastemasters and outlet adapters
one of the Aquarolls
and maybe the corner steady security locks
Extension mirrors
trailer board

BUT
do we need to keep
waste hose (5m)
Two 240v cables (Probably will)
Storm Strap for awning

Know we DO need to KEEP
Ramps and Chocks
Groundsheets for under awning carpets
Water hose to fill tank
240v cable x1 possibly both

Open to suggestions on what is I know a short list so much stuff we have got

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Re: Wastemasters (and adaptors)
Wastemasters might come in handy if you go to a site or camperstop and you're there for a few days. You can take the grey water to the service place.
You will need every adaptor known to man (and a few more) if you go abroad with your 'van. Those Johnnie foreigners have committee meetings to decide how to bu&&er up your filling at an Aire by putting a fitting for which you need an adaptor you don't have.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Youll still need water carriers, connectors etc, this is what we have:

water - carriers.jpg
Water - funnel 1.JPG
water - hose connectors.jpg
Water - hoses.jpg

Attachments

• Water - Tap pipe.jpg
    Water - Tap pipe.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Not dumping hose pipe and the multiple tap fittings 14 years of Continental touring have taught us well
one item I have not mentioned is the Electric test meter for polarity have been on TOO many sites where every power outlet has been wired up differently

Re Wastemaster did not consider that as we do tend to stay on sites regularly so go for one with pitch drains
We never considered that Camper stops might only have a central empty point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends how you intend to use the m/h if like us 1 or 2 days then move on no need for water carriers waste containers awning s (except wind out) and a load of other stuff. If you intend to use it like a caravan ( on sites parked for a week or two ) you might want most of the stuff!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Depends how you intend to use the m/h if like us 1 or 2 days then move on no need for water carriers waste containers awning s (except wind out) and a load of other stuff. If you intend to use it like a caravan ( on sites parked for a week or two ) you might want most of the stuff!!!

We intend to do both
At this moment we had already booked for Camping Arena Blanca Benidorm and Camping Alergria Del Mar Benicarlo before we fully made the decision to change over to a motorhome
This is why we had gone ahead and put Solar Panel on the Caravan ready for when Steph had retired this March we had already planned 90 nights out as an outline

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Probably your things to take away list will expand to fit your storage space!
We have no space for hoses, waste water containers, awning carpets and the like as the main storage under the bed is taken up with the two Bromptons. It is surprising how little you need if have been used to a VW T4!
Our 5 litre fresh drinking water container is used to top up the main water tank, slow I know but you quickly learn the value of running water.:)

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Eventually, no-one will need to carry a BSP to Hozelock adapter, as I am very thoughtfully leaving them on the tap at most sites that we visit. My stocks are running a little low at the moment, though, so I will make sure to buy some more at the earliest opportunity.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one item I have not mentioned is the Electric test meter for polarity have been on TOO many sites where every power outlet has been wired up differently
Oh jeez, you did it, didn't you.......

You mentioned reverse polarity.
Other than gassing and A frame threads this comes tops again and again and again and again and aga........

Upvote 0

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(n) Have I missed something ? Have you been and gone and done it ?:eek:
Are you now Motorvanners :cry:
Shall we see it at Twin lakes or even before ?:clap2:

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Why do you need water carriers?
If I only go away for one night I use 5L bottles, save the hassle of filling and draining down and saves wasting water, use waste water to flush the loo. Never go anywhere without 5L, since first trip to France wth empty tanks, closed campsites and aires with water turned off.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl I have hose attachment envy !
:D
I have similar that I carry in the garage everywhere we go. Never use any of it , just use my 10 litre watering can to top up all the time
Why do you need water carriers?
We actually do use our bits and bobs quite a lot - we wild camp or use aires (never on sites) and drink the water from the tank so on a 7 weeks trip we prefer to keep the tank level at around 50% in case we aren't anywhere near to a fresh water source for a few days, this means that if we see a fresh water source we can use the containers to keep the tank topped-up. It also means that if the tap isn't near to where the camper is, or we can't get close to it, we can use the containers so can still get fresh water from any 'fresh water' outlet, not necessarily a MH specific one ... it can be done more discretely than using a hose too. (y)

As we have a PVC and carry 2 folding electric bikes and 2 inflatable canoes and all the gear (not toy ones) plus other stuff (ramps, spare toilet cassette etc) we don't take a watering can which would take up valuable space ... our collapsible containers work for us and are easy to store ... in fact we have 2 of the tall slim 5L ones which can be slotted quite easily into small spaces and are easier to carry back to the camper than a single large carrier as we are more 'balanced' by having one in each hand.

Nearly everything in our 'kit' was used at least once last year ... some of the connectors weren't needed last year but are still kept as they have been used in previous years, we have some spares of the smaller connectors too and gave a spare one to a Spanish chap last year on an aire we stayed at, he was desperate to get water but didn't have anything to fit the tap as the hose that came with his hired MH has some weird 'fits all outlets' connector that didn't ... he was a very happy chappie!

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well done and enjoy the change.May I suggest you absolutely do keep the storm strap for awning,if you have one on your van of course!
There have been threads on here in the past of them doing a lot of damage to vans in strong winds plus it doesn't take up much space.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
As you have them already, definitely keep the mains leads. I have been on a number of sites in France when long leads were required. My longest yet is 3 leads joined totalling approx 60 metres on one site ;)

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Eventually, no-one will need to carry a BSP to Hozelock adapter, as I am very thoughtfully leaving them on the tap at most sites that we visit. My stocks are running a little low at the moment, though, so I will make sure to buy some more at the earliest opportunity.

Made me laugh and reminds me:

First ever time filling up on our fist ever trip in our motorhome thought nothing of getting out hozelock hose supplied by dealer and plugging it in to tap at campsite. Got a shock next day to find no hozelock adapter on tap, drove around all the taps on the site and none had an adapter so tried the adaptor for a normal house tap (the big rubbery thing with a jubilee clip) and got absolutely soaked!!!!

Thankfully a nice motorhome owner owner lent me theirs and next day bought two adapters which thankfully I still have.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I really should have 'restocked' for ALL the Funsters when we were in Portugal.
You know that really big one that needs an insert or two to fit on a 'normal' tap.
I went into an Ironmongers in Bu&&er Off Nowhere in Portugal and he was selling them for 95cents. I should have bought him out of them, could have made a killing.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy,
What good is a 'Funnel' if you've got to stand on your head to read wot it is? Sort it, will you.
... as you wish ...

Water - funnel 1 - Copy.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
(n) Have I missed something ? Have you been and gone and done it ?:eek:
Are you now Motorvanners :cry:
Shall we see it at Twin lakes or even before ?:clap2:

You missed it photo's are in Showcase we pick it up when Steph's money comes through end of March/Beginning of April

We got a 07 Lunar Roadstar 800 huge garage and compared to caravan HUGE payload

BUT we will possibly be at Twin Lakes either beginning of August or middle of October whilst you are at Twin Lakes we are in Benidorm as we paid for our pitch last year and we got the last available big one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As you have them already, definitely keep the mains leads. I have been on a number of sites in France when long leads were required. My longest yet is 3 leads joined totalling approx 60 metres on one site ;)
Cheers
Trevor

Wow we have used 50m(plus reverse polairty lead ) up to now in France fingers crossed won't need too much more

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Made me laugh and reminds me:

First ever time filling up on our fist ever trip in our motorhome thought nothing of getting out hozelock hose supplied by dealer and plugging it in to tap at campsite. Got a shock next day to find no hozelock adapter on tap, drove around all the taps on the site and none had an adapter so tried the adaptor for a normal house tap (the big rubbery thing with a jubilee clip) and got absolutely soaked!!!!

Thankfully a nice motorhome owner owner lent me theirs and next day bought two adapters which thankfully I still have.

Always use a 14 litre watering can now and a bucket for waste,,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
One of these can be quite handy if you are staying on aires and 2 star municipal campsites...

IN0010_3702c309-e33c-4647-aa55-b8f0e79445aa_grande.png

as there is often not enough power post, or some are broken/tripped

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
One of these can be quite handy if you are staying on aires and 2 star municipal campsites...

as there is often not enough power post, or some are broken/tripped

Yes but
we have been around France a lot and find that a large number of sites have only 6 amps which is why we went over to Solar charging for the battery so we could at least have the fridge running thereby saving gas

We have seen someone try to use one of these for two vans in the UK the site was 10 amps and they couldn't understand why the post kept tripping when they switched on their microwave :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We get at least 3 weeks in the summer on one 11kg gas bottle for hot water/cooking (a bit!) and the fridge so don't really think its worth running the fridge on battery especially as it doesn't seem to keep it cold as well when its in the 30's outside.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back