What kind of awning and how much? (1 Viewer)

blueraven

Free Member
May 7, 2008
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since Apr 08
:Smile: Hi
I know we all have our favourites and you might not agree, but here goes... Sorry, I've not posted a thread before, only been extremely interested in the depth of knowledge and level of help on this site. Keep it up!
We have a wind out awning (omnistor) on our hymer classic but wanted more of a 'room' as opposed to a 'canopy' and wondered what to go for. The ones like the movelite look easy to put up but not very roomy.
We moved to a motorhome after having touring caravans for a few years (not going back there anytime soon!) but alas miss our 'proper' awning. Only problem is there seems to be too much choice. Help please...! :thumb:

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
awning

Hi Blueravan

I have tried the larger safari type awnings and found that they were very cumbersome to put up and carry around.

I found the best solution a Euro Camp type one.

You just wind out your awning untill you can reach it ,incert the top of the awning into the groove on the rail that come out, wind the awning back in, push the three bendy nylon rods in place on the awning, secure guy rope etc Bob your uncle! it weight appro 10 kilos it fits into a bag the same size as a larege sports bag
Price £128.

Take care Les.:thumb:

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Hi,

We have a Movelite XL (3m * 3m), and with 2 kids (7 & 5) find it's got plenty of room for a table and 4 chairs when you want to eat outside, when it's raining. When the kids go down, there's still loads of room to entertain, unless you get the whole site to pop in for a drink.:RollEyes:

Perhaps you should pop into one the next time you're on-site, before you make your mind up. You should also try to watch the effort to put up the various types (driveaways / safari rooms) so as to decide if the effort is too much for the one you fancy most.

Set-up is 10 minutes, and the beauty of it is that you can drive away from it in less than a minute.

Happy shopping!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We also have a Movelite XL - purchased second hand a couple of months ago. We went away at the beginning of the month and put it up on a very windy campsite on the west side of the scottish highlands.

Initially we had it attached to the motorhome by means of the straps that go over the top. After a night of tapdancing on the roof (at least, that's what it sounded like with the straps tapping away at the slightest gust) we moved the motorhome and used the awning as an outhouse. I must get the fixing kit to attach it to the windout...

As previously stated, there is plenty of room for a table and chairs as well as storage for other bits and pieces. It also serves as a great pitch marker when you go out.

Phil

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
Hi blueraven

We had a Fiamma Zip with our first van, it creates a huge space, however there are downsides, when the wind blows the van rocks & the canopy roof slaps on the windout arms keeping you awake all night. Also from the moment you put it up you're stuck on site.

We now have a Khyam & a Movelite, the Khyam is up & pegged out in about 15 mins & the Movelite is up & pegged out in about 30 mins. The upside of both is that in blustery weather you feel & hear nothing from the awning & you can detach & drive away for the day in a couple of minutes, likewise when you return to your pitch. There are no downsides for us but as you point out neither provide as much space as a full safari room.

The Khyam is a more substantial product & is much better quality than the Movelite, the Khyam tunnel fits closer to the side of the van, it's also quicker / easier to put up & pack away. The downside to the Khyam though is that it takes up at least twice as much space in the garage than the Movleite does.

We tend to use the Movelite most, purely because it takes up less room when packed away & provides just as much outside undercover space as the Khyam.

You can get more conventional looking caravan type dirveaway awnings from companies like Harrison but they are big & heavy when packed away.

My advice would be try to pick up a secondhand Movelite & give it a go.

Movelite picture attached

Bryan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a Movelite we use for winter in the UK .. great for storing coats, boots etc also prevents the ice blast when you open the door

I fitted an awning rail to give a snug watertight fit ..

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back