Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
Looking at getting a jack for my Autotrail Delaware just to have in case of a puncture as the vehicle doesn't come with one. What sort/make would you recommend please and what would you use as the jacking points.
Thanks
Nik.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The one that came with the van, under the passenger seat.
Used once in Morocco to get someone else out of trouble..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Removed the original. Now have proper 6 ton bottle Jack in plastic case that's more than suitable for the job.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The factory issue jack, but I also carry a 2.4 tonne rated axle stand to prop it up on if I had to.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
5 tonne bottle jack in a nice case from Lidl on one of their specials days.
Used it a few time last time couple of months back rear tag axle puncture.
Nice little jack works well reasonable cost and far superior to the one supplied by Hymer which is really not fit for purpose.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the kit that came with the van under passenger seat. dont know why i carry it as there is no spare and i would call recovery anyway.
changing wheels at the road side is not for me on a motorhome. too damn dangerous.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I purchased my last MoHo (4 years ago) I purchased a new spare wheel and tyre and a good quality hydraulic jack, the new van has both as standard so if anyone wants one please pm me. The jacking point is fairly obvious to me when looking underneath but I couldn't possibly suggest to another where to safely place the turret of the jack without seeing it.

(underneath the spring hanger in a position where it can't possibly slip plus a decent axle stand for additional safety).

I would also add that I would call out breakdown cover if I felt that changing the wheel to be dangerous but at least I have the choice and as I understand it you can't just expect them to turn out if you don't at least have a spare, but I'm quite sure I will be corrected on this one.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I carry a 4 ton bottle jack and the standard scissor jack. I needed both last month. The bottle jack lifts the wheel off the ground and the scissor jack lifts the body to allow rear wheel removal.

Boy are those wheels bloody heavy:rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bought an 8 tonne hydraulic jack after trying to lift the van with the standard scissors jack failing miserably as it was too far away to be able to turn the handle properly. I did weld a cup bracket on top of the piston as there was NO WAY I was working on a vehicle just balanced on the piston tip. I did need it a couple of weeks ago going to Stafford show and the dress rehearsal I did at home showed it was worth it. Spares and jacks beat pumps and Glop everytime but the wheels do weigh a bit.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've just got the standard jacks but as a PVC that should be well up to the job. If I ever need to change a tyre and it isn't raining I might even put it by the wheel for the RAC chap...

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
5 ton bottle jack, a pair of 5 ton axle stands, the standard Fiat jack and tools, a Britool torque wrench and a substantial bag of other tools and spares. Autotrail provide a spare wheel so I can do it myself rather than wait around for the recovery services.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've got a selection of jacks. The oldest is still the easiest to use, an exhaust driven air bag jack, its so easy to use. The Sprinter that we have carries its own bottle jack, these often find their way onto ebay & that's because they are so very very good. I also have a 3 tonne rocketlift jack. This one is only ever used at home if I'm doing some work on any one of our vehicles. Common sense applies, always use an axle stand. It makes sense to carry a jack as you might have no phone signal or might have come to a halt in a dangerous position on the road & this might harm you or other road users. It makes sense to get mobile as quickly as possible.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Recovery is great and we have the top cover. But sometimes it's quicker and easier to change a wheel ??

if you have alloys don't forget your large mallett .. my mondeo has a habit of popping valves (don't start me on that one they are £113 each grrrr) and every time one has gone I have had to get the RAC out to free the wheel from the hub..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't think there's a problem if your van was never fitted with a spare.

That's what is says in the small print on my recovery documentation. They won't come out if you don't have a spare UNLESS the vehicle was supplied without as standard (mine was without as was the car we trade in on Tuesday).

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a rescue Jack Russell about 7 years old, white with brown head,great fun to have around;) Oh sorry you ment vehicle jack, well it's a standard Fiat scissor type for me, lift my 3.5T Hymer OK, I've used it a few times to change wheel.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I bought a 10 ton bottle jack which is more than up for the job, however, like others have said, I think I'd be tempted to ring the breakdown company and see how long their call out is before I could be bothered changing it myself.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I don't recommend the one AC/DC sing about :whistle:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
if you have alloys don't forget your large mallett .. my mondeo has a habit of popping valves (don't start me on that one they are £113 each grrrr) and every time one has gone I have had to get the RAC out to free the wheel from the hub..
When alloys wheels are removed they should be refitted with copperslip around the flange between the wheel and hub,
This will stop the corrosive affect of dissimilar metals touching each other,
As to jacks! I carry a Land Rover discovery two ram bottle jack that has sufficient height and load capacity for my needs, unless my MH was in a dangeous position ! ( But why would that be) because I would drive it to a safe position regardless if the tyre was flat,
Bugger the tyre or wheel if your safety was at risk! No contest!

motorways would be an exception if flat tyre was on the offside,

I monitor pressures with tyrepal and regularly check tyre condition so I consider I have covered most of the bases,
Having spent my life in the motor trade I wouldn't dream of calling a breakdown service for just a wheel change,

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When alloys wheels are removed they should be refitted with copperslip around the flange between the wheel and hub,

I have done this myself when maintaining my own vehicles but have never not once ever seen or heard of a commercial enterprise doing this for their customers..

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i change my own. and we only carry a spare tyre, so have to fit that myself too.
ps. wife makes a brew though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back