What is your most annoying "on site" thing? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Had a really funny one a couple of weeks ago. Pitched up where directed by site owner and sitting having lunch under the awning and a panel van rolled up, "You'll have to move that's my pitch!". Transpires this guy had been on our pitch until an hour ago. Told him I'm parked where I was told, "Soon sort this out" and he stormed off. Came back a few minutes later a bit humbled and pitched up next door.
We had a very similar one to this last year in Andorra! We checked in, and were instructed to follow the owner on his bike to our pitch, which we did. We arrived at the pitch he indicated, it was sloped away from the tarmac track on grass, so I elected to reverse onto the pitch, with the owner guiding me back (what a nice chap). Got the thumbs up from the owner, who scooted away on his bike.
We started to get setup, the incline was greater than I first thought, so I had to put the levelling blocks under the back wheels, then hooked up to the electricity, wound out the awning and pegged it down and we were just getting the outside chairs out when the owner returned.
Apparently the family on the neighbouring pitch had complained that we were too close, and were spoiling his view of the mountains!!!! The owner very apologetically asked if we wouldn't mind moving. Now rather than cause a scene, I thought screw it, even though I had to wind in the awning, unplug the EHU and take in the furniture and roll off the blocks, anything for a quiet life. The owner waited for me, since he was going to guide me to a new location. 10 mins later ready to roll, or so I thought :D
Put the van in gear, started up the slope to the tarmac, nothing, wheels spinning wildly on the grass. I backed up as far as I could (there was a camper on a pitch behind us, which was 90 degrees to us) and then took a run up at the hill, got halfway up before sliding back down.
I swear I couldn't have planned it better, we ended up staying on the pitch, the grumpy family next door left that afternoon, which was good, because I used that pitch to free our van when we left (it had gravel and was slightly less inclined) :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Adults playing with a ball right next to the van ( in one instance in Austria this year actually using the van as a goal post ! )
They were MOST indignant when I asked them to move.. I suggested they could use their own van as a goal post .. That went down like a lead balloon !

CC sites in general ( do they go out of their way to employ the most obnoxious least helpful folk in the world ?? )
I am sure there are some very nice folk who work for them.. Just that we have yet to find a single one !!!!

Un-necessary rules

Sites that advertise motorhome suitable waste points only to find when dump time comes it is a wee drain tucked in trees that is only accessible if you have a van the size of a postage stamp AND the drain point is in one very specific place on said van

Sites that charge extra for an awning ( really penny pinching and pathetic and we ALWAYS leave a site that tries it on

ACSI sites that when you get there try and charge you more

Sites that offer big pitches and then want to charge for a trailer ( small sites with small pitches I can understand but when a wee trailer can sit on the pitch you are already paying for... nahhhh.. Driven off of quite a few places that have tried that one

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
People...

and washing hanging up...

JJ :cool:
Oh dear, you wouldn't like us then :D
After years of struggling using European campsite tumble driers which appear to vary in efficiency from being able to remove 0.5% - 1% of the water in ones washing, we now use a portable rotary clothes line, sorry about that :D

Reactions: kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Not a lot irritates me but there are a few things that make me smile a lot. Caravan and motorhome snobbisness for one. Don't say it doesn't exist, it does.:Cool:
the worst snobs are the people with ancient Hymers, who think they're the greatest....trouble is I kinda agree

Reactions: JJ
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dogs that pee up your wind break,,,usually on the end of those stupid dog leads on a fishing reel. If i owned a site i would ban those stupid leads. BUSBY:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not a site for @JJ Us pitched up near Lake Como :D
DSCF0081.JPG

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've been to music festivals where I've had to move guy ropes so I can open my door, listened to peeps chatting, playing music and getting high until the sun came up, no problem. Put me on a campsite and if the same thing happens, I turn into a cross between Victor Meldrew and Mary Whitehouse, we're probably our own worst enemies :D

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Not one for busy sites, but if we do stay on one it's only for a short period, so noise has not been a problem.
What does grind on me is people asking in a derogatory way, "what does THAT thing do to a gallon"? I always reply, "the same as yours sat here not moving".
Or,
"I wouldn't have one of those if you paid me"!, to which i say, "no-one will pay you to drive one, so get over it".
Generally i find folk very nice, and inquisitive, and i am happy to do a 'tour' of our RV.

Craig

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What does grind on me is people asking in a derogatory way, "what does THAT thing do to a gallon"? I always reply, "the same as yours sat here not moving".
We have become obsessed with MPG figures as a nation haven't we. I once got asked that question by a chap who was tugging a gigantic caravan behind his type R Jag estate. My answer was "more than you!"

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The only thing that really annoys me is rude people and yapping dogs.

Do sometimes wonder what the obsession is with panel van owners and the constant door slamming.
Like to see kids and families having a good time though that's what it's all about.
If someone or something is really annoying just start up and move on.
Simples really :)(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ah... Music festivals are different...
Anything goes at them... no problem!
JJ :cool:

So are bike racing sites. A common form of fun is an old bike, no wheels, seat, exhaust and rev it half the night, usually in competition with another one on the other side of the site. It's all about excitement and burning the candle both ends and in the middle.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The only thing that really annoys me is rude people and yapping dogs.

Do sometimes wonder what the obsession is with panel van owners and the constant door slamming.
Like to see kids and families having a good time though that's what it's all about.
If someone or something is really annoying just start up and move on.
Simples really :)(y)
Gosh ! I forgot about yapping dogs! I do hate them.

Craig

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
So are bike racing sites. A common form of fun is an old bike, no wheels, seat, exhaust and rev it half the night, usually in competition with another one on the other side of the site. It's all about excitement and burning the candle both ends and in the middle.

Ha ha you haven't lived until you've been to a Spanish MotoGP and listened to that noise for 4 solid days and nights. Takes a week to get over it. :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As Billthedrill states "live and let live no point in getting wound up you're on holiday" living in our home, why on earth get wound up, just move on. Life is to short to worry about silly things other people do. As it states below my post:

Everyone wants simple things in life: Peace, kind words, long life and happiness. Nothing lasts forever: So live it up, drink it down, laugh it out, avoid the bullshit, take chances, and never have regrets..............

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ha ha you haven't lived until you've been to a Spanish MotoGP

Maybe next year. I expect the Italians to deliver the goods ! Might be a bit quiet in the Donington Hotel site.

The one I had in mind for my post was Monza. It's great campsite there, just outside the gates and right on the home straight so those that got there early watched FOC sat on the roof of their vehicles.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
"Awning Man"

ie those people that insist on gathering in their awnings making lots of noise or watching TV late at night

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
people complaining about the noise i made when i came home the night before they should bloody well be asleep at that time in the morning when i come home
and also the site bar closing to early so long as there is someone there drinking they should stay open imho of course :whistle::)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Apologies now to all those that hate the sliding doors on PVC's - I have one. However when I open the door early in the morning (I usually go to the shower around 6/6.30am) I make a point of pulling the door to as quietly as possible, I will leave in on a first catch rather than slam.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Any sort of dogs
Surely not all dogs! :LOL:
Our Labrador barked once, I think she shocked herself so much at the noise, she's never done it since. And if you ever met her, she'd probably sleep at you (in a very threatening manner of course):D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back