what is the real risk of a MH being stolen

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Dec 21, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have been pondering a dilemma tonight, we have to fit a tracker to our MH or we do not have any cover for theft of vehicle

Cost of tracker with monitor is about £300 year 1 then £150 / year

Not much really, our MH is worth about £60K, so do I 'self insure the risk' and not spend the £300

I have been a member for 2 years on here, there have a been a couple of posts about third part thefts, but as far as I know no members have lost theirs in that time

With modern immobilisers etc, coupled with possibly the most awkward parking on our own grounds, is it really much of a risk

Mathematically I think £300 = 0.5% of value, just do it, then I think £300 = 15 litres of gin :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

£300 or risk losing £60k .... hmmm big decision there .... :xdoh:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Sounds a lot.
    Previous owner had a CobraTrak fitted. All I had to do is take out a subscription. I think I got them down to £320 for 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Insurance over and above the legal minimum is a gamble. When you pay for insurance or to meet the requirements of your insurance company, you are betting that you will suffer a loss, they are betting you won't. It is of no benefit to you to go claim free, it is only of benefit to the insurers.

Now they cheat of course and load premiums, much about with no claims bonuses etc, but like any bet, the only way to come out on top is to consistently win.. in other words claim every year more than the cost of the premium.

So what's the alternative? You put the money you would have spent elsewhere and hope that by the time you need it, you have saved enough to cover your loss...

My life isn't long enough to recover £60k at £150 per year...

• Like Like x 4
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

My van was insured for £59995 with Aviva and only a Thatcham alarm was required

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Aviva seem to being a bit selective about which tracker I can use, they appear to want a genuine Tracker, so need to buy plus subscribe, being the 'market leader', they are not the cheapest

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

been down the alarm option, we have a problem with how the Hymer was built, access o the wiring loom is restricted by cabinets, would be expensive and risky to remove / refit, so others say, so Tracker seemed best route

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Must be honest, even allowing for depreciation £300 / first year then £150 = £900 in 5 years, I would need to own my current MH for over 100 years to break even :D

But, what is the real risk of it being lost to theft, very small I reckon

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

@ 60K surprised alarm not a stipulation...sounds a bit mickey mouse. I am at a loss to understand how insurance does not cover theft...Penny wise pound foolish springs to mind.

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we insured it on our fleet insurance at work when first bought 2 years ago, at £1200 / year don't think the insurers were really bothered about alarms etc

Just moved it to a more conventional private policy, still with Aviva frustratingly, so not really Mickey Mouse? (don't really get your point there) but they now asked for an alarm

see above post for reasons no alarm fitted

so they now want a tracker

11. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

I can say without hesitation and even though I dislike insurers (having dealt with them on a professional basis) Insure it pronto and not just with the basic alarm simply to comply with the insurers needs.
    Having your MH stolen or wrecked is soul destroying so get the best device you can. As yours is worth so much may I suggest having fitted the alarm/tracker made and supplied by Eddie Van Bits.
    He's a member of this forum and although not cheap its reported to be one of the best around. Contact Eddie and have him send you the lit that explains what the alarm come tracker does

• Like Like x 1
  12. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Forgot to mention about the theft risk. I'm informed that the travelers are now taking a very real interest in MH's as apposed to caravans Why? because they can nick them without hitching up and they are worth more when shipped either to Ireland or the Continent where they are known to have swop meets with their continental brothers who been nicking the same over there

• Like Like x 2
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have had a dialogue with Eddie already, it might come to that, although he might have same issue with not being keen to remove the cabinets around the nearside door area (no door) where the connections to the wiring loom need to be made

we would be covered for attempted theft or damage while parked, it is only if stolen and not recovered that we would have no cover (accepting that if stolen we don't want it back)

and we do have the basic Mercedes alarm already fitted, not good enough for the insurers though

I probably will get something done, the big issue with alarms is, like our house, forget to set and you are still not insured how ever much you have paid to have it fitted, at least a tracker cant not be set

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would look at other insurance companies. You should be able to get cover without the requirement for trackers etc. Just shop around although I accept there is a postcode factor - some of you folk live in dodgy areas!
    The thieves these days know where to look for trackers so they no longer provide the assurance they use to. Alternatively, they can just jam the tracker while they locate it: http://www.jammer4uk.com/car-gps-jammer-c-1.html
    All of which adds up to the fact that if the crooks target your MH they will take it and there is little you can do about it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

keeping the keys secure seems to be the biggest security measure (y)

• Like Like x 2
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I agree and a great let out clause for the insurance company if the vehicle is stolen with the keys.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

We insured ours with caravan guard for £60k+ and they only insisted on a tracker locate were not concerned it didn't have an Alarm and cost was about £400 pa and I didn't have any NCB due to having a company car

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Somebody has to be here to keep them in profits, everybody always pays less than me for everything, so I am not overly surprised, we are paying just over £600 / year. including 10K miles, could have had £520 for 6K miles, but did not want to be watching the mileage, we plan on using it more not less going forward

I am committed now to this years insurance with Aviva, but next year will shop around earlier, but compared to our fleet policy premium I am quids in at least :)

19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I would dump Aviva and go with some on else I am sure it has a manufacturers immobiliser.
    And will be perfectly safe on that one the only time you don't sleep in it is when it's on your drive.
    I would think just make it a bit moor difficult for them put a hidden switch on your fuel pump.
    If they can't start it they cant nick it and immobiliser can be over ridden
    they got to find a hidden switch mitigate the risk
    put a drop in post in the centre of your drive.
    but I do think that Aviva are at it I have left them after years using them
    try comfort or safeguard Adrian flux I am currently with Adrian flux
    bill

• Like Like x 3
  20. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

Not certain but I think Comfort is the trading name of Adrian Flux - and they use Aviva as their underwriters.

I expect Aviva own the tracking company as well (or am I being to cynical for this time in the morning?)

Out of interest does anyone have a policy not underwritten by Aviva?

• Like Like x 2