what is the nicest panel van conversion? (PVC)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Judge Mental, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Thinking of downsizing everything, house car and camper:Sad:

I have been looking this week at panel van conversions..... the nicest I have seen (so far) are the Globecar and probably the Hymer Car 322. want standard layout, bed acroos the back and front lounge with seating for 4

anyone else have a suggestion or opinion?

Other recommendations most welcome:BigGrin: Prefer 6m and 3500kg chassis option

3 litre auto or 2.3 6 speed? (Fiat:Doh:)
    Plus is the fiat "JUDDER" still an issue with 2010 vans?:RollEyes:

2. TomTee

TomTee Deleted User

It's not a panel van but consider the Hobby Van Exclusive. 6 metres, transverse double bed, large garage, superb build quality, big payload, four seatbelts and on a Ford Transit, but make sure you get the uprated engine (140 bhp).

It's not too wide either which I value. The only drawback may be the price as they're a bit more expensive than some British ones.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I was looking at these at a show the other week, don't know much about the company but they did look good Panel Van Motorhome

4. Terry

Terry Funster

That's IH motorhomes :thumb: nice vans on a par with timberland :thumb: both some of the best I have seen
    terry

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yip, IH take a lot of beating ... unless you build yourself :Wink:

6. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Horizons Unlimited http://www.horizons-unlimited.co.uk/ make some, but more "compact" and no rear lounge. IMO the best made (e.g. oak framed furniture etc) - and our usage/abuse of ours proves the point.

IH also good (but different)

When looking around, some converters do use cheaper build methods which I'd suggest you avoid. You really want a well made and well insulated one as, out of the box, PVCs are less insulated than coachbuilt.

Trannys/Mercs have the best (most efficiient) space utilisation.

If you don't have a make in mind, can you wait till the big NEC show in Oct?

• Like Like x 1
  7. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

I would have liked a panel van conversion , but no panel van seems to be wide enough to fit a transverse bed which is long enough to fit a transverse bed ; byr the time you have put in some insulation , about 5ft 6in would be the maximum comfortable height

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

After looking round the panel vans IH.seems one of the best, but I still have reservations on the Fiat base, and have seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Maybe when the new Renault appears it will have a slightly wider body and make a crosswise bed a possibility, as I had a Devon Master conversion and all I found wrong was the crosswise bed length to short.

I would wait and see myself.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

9. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

I'm 5'10 and sleep across no problem at all and with legs/neck straight.... And yep, thats with good insulation. Don't think the transit is unique, think the fiats have roughly the same?

10. Terry

Terry Funster

:thumb: :Rofl1::Wink:

11. Terry

Terry Funster

one word Ambulance :thumb: 6 ft 6 ins wide internal :thumb::Rofl1: The new shape Ducato etc are 6 FT 4 INS INTERNAL SO KNOCK OFF 2 INS FOR INSULATION LEAVES YOU 6 FT 2 INS OR IF YOUR NAME IS HYYMER THEY CLAIM 6 FT 4 INS WIDE :Rofl1: so they must not use insulation :thumb: - sorry for caps
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  12. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

according to fiat the current ducato van is 1870mm internal width
    deduct 2 x 40mm for the insulation and panelling and you have under 1.8 metres

I'm no longer over 6Ft , but I wouldn't regard that as comfortable

13. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I have measured one and 1870 mm is between the strengthening struts not panel to panel = 6 ft 4 ins = 1940mm- insulate between the struts :thumb: 1 INS OF MODERN INSULATION IS EQUIVALENT TO A 1 FT OF FIBERGLASS :thumb: Leaving you 6 ft 2 ins or internal usable width :thumb:
    terry

14. Judge Mental

we actually slept in a PVC overnight at Belgium dealer when our van was in for some warranty work. it was a Karman Davis and we slept very well indeed, we are both about 5.9-5.10 and found the bed fine. Me being FAT the corridor was a different matter:cry:

the UK vans seem to be strictly for 2 and dont like the rear lounge layouts my back just dont do making up beds:Smile: We have tennagers who come with us occasionally (can sleep in small tent) so front lounge, 4 belted seats and rear bed best for us

so far this is in the running a globecar, the quality looks good and someone over on another forum has ordred the longer twin bed version which is lovely but to long:Sad: love the pull out drawers...sensible or what.

http://tinyurl.com/34dox8o

But most of these vans have poor insuation (lucky to get 10mm) and a small fridge. The euramobil quixta has 27mm insulation and heated tanks as standard(extra cost with most)

The Hymer has biggest 97 litre fridge, and the best bed according to recent tests in Promobil German mag and came out well for winterisation due I guess to the 7 kw deisel heating (i prefer the gas/electric heating and Ill fit a refillable gas tank under van)

I guess from a resale view the hymer will always be easier to sell on.....

will go to Dusseldorf show end of August to have a good look around (have been twice before and excellent) and see whats new for next year.......

15. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

try autocruise accent seems to fill all you requirments
    rgds bill

16. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

try autocruise accent seems to fill all you requirments
    ive got one on order
    any one out there got one???
    rgds deepstar
    rgds bill

17. georgio

georgio Read Only Funster

Evening all,

I have an adria twin , the bed is ok for me 5ft9ins. I reckon its ok for six foot people .

The insulation is ok for sub zere camping and not too expensive.

georgio

18. Terry

Terry Funster

I am 5.11 and I would not consider any van without at least 6ft 2 ins bed-- been there and got the tee shirt :Doh: hence my post to newbys layout / comfort is the most important thing in any van
    terry

19. Macytia

Macytia Read Only Funster

I have the new shape Ducato, selfbuild with fixed rear bed, 6ft tall and no issues, go for the 2.3 and Remap it, a lot more fuel efficient than the 3.0. I am averaging 35mpg from mine and don't hang around.
    My advise would be to buy the base van from a main dealer and approach a conversion company to design your ideal layout. If the converter is unknown this will affect your future resale but if you plan toi keep a few years you can't go wrong imo:Smile:

20. Judge Mental

interesting...who did you get to remap and how much is it? does it affect warranty? dont really want the 3 litre or auto but concerns regards "JUDDER" are pushing me that way.....

I have a hightop 2.2 ford and that goes like the clappers , so 2.3 should be more then enough in a panel van.