What is the most expensive UK site you know of ?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by scotjimland, Feb 8, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

There is a lot of chatter on the forums about how expensive some UK sites have become.. many now almost as expensive as staying in a B&B ..

Two questions..

what are you prepared to pay for a site for two adults.

a) A basic site , no EHU , no showers . Just fresh water and waste disposal.

b) As above, with an un-metered 10 or 16A EHU

Finally, what is the most expensive UK site you have used or know of .. ?

for me

a) up to £10
    b) up to £15

some interesting reading
    https://www.pitchup.com/about/media/
    most expensive I've read about.. :LOL:

At £9,600 for two for a four-night stay, Britain's most expensive campsite is believed to be Camp Kerala in Shepton Mallet, near Glastonbury. The cost includes interstage festival tickets and Winnebago access, food and concierge (it's £900 extra for an ensuite toilet, and visitors pay extra for drinks, spa treatment...and helicopter transport)

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We stayed at the campsite in Bath that is right next to the park and ride, two people with EHU for one night £26.00. There is no way on earth I would have paid that much apart from the location being exactly where we needed it. But now we have been there, done that and no need to go again. :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Stayed at Lysander Arms, York, £25 a night, 2 adults, 3 free dogs inc leccy, water and waste to each pitch, adults only. It was more than CC which would have been £18 a night at Rowntree park in January. By August price is cheaper than CC as it is £25 all year except Xmas & New year when rises to £30. A lot more expensive than going abroad but for us we needed the location and an alternative to CC as not renewing membership this year, joined Fun and Britstops instead :):):)

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

wow .. 50 odd reads and only two with a comment

maybe our sites aren't so expensive after all :LOL:

5. dryad

dryad Funster

camp kerala=:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: flippin' 'eck, more money than sense..

personally would balk at more than£15/20 a night for a basic pitch, but the reality is that during the busy summer months, quite a lot are more than that..

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I stayed at Sango Sands at Durness last month, they don't lock the gates but are technically closed, free use for no services allowed by owner, water and dump open, (provided not frozen) he even offered to turn out to turn water on for me when needed.

But he does charge for electric, £7 night, but to be honest at -5 and permanent snow on ground I felt bad and gave him £10 night to cover my possible electric consumption, but I had to fight to make him take it

I reckon my 3Kw Alde on all the time and never seemed to cut out (set at 20C) must have cost him £10 / day, before adding in fridge and chargers

I don't think any CL can really afford to run for less than £10 /night even with out electrics. They have tax to pay on that as income, plus insurance, I would not be surprised to find a £500 insurance bill for liability only these days, spread that over the relatively few days occupancy they get, it is hardly worth opening

Add in the cost of electrics, leave them unmetered and I think £20 night will soon be the norm for CL's and small sites as a minimum

In our earlier lives we thought a CL for retirement sounded great, till you do the costings, if you were lucky and got 50% occupancy (very unlikely all year round) would get a maximum of £9K for the whole year, take off insurance, pay tax (possibly) not a lot for the effort / inconvenience for a whole years effort

To answer OP, you have definitely found the most expensive already :eek:

But CC can be £30 / night at wrong times for 2 people, much too much for us

My rates as per above

£10 no services

£20 with unmetered electrics (we do like out of season colder periods though) so may be a little too generous on electric consumption

• Like Like x 2
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Well I'm wondering if were used to them being so expensive and remember one mans bloody expensive is another mans reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Might be that many MH owners just DON'T stay in these places that charge the earth.............. for a 8 x 8 metre bit of ground. Now £25 a night x 365 = £9125 a year and if you have 10 pitches £91,250...... thats some profit.

9. scotjimland

very true.. hence my asking ;)

10. Spidey

Spidey Funster

The most we paid was £52 a night with a caravan in Hidden Valley campsite,

http://www.hiddenvalleypark.com/north-devon-campsite-tariff

It has come down a bit in price instead of the £52 a night i think it is now about £50 ish, far too much money. Nice site and located a 2 min drive to the vets my daughter had work experience with. Thats the only reason we booked. It was with a caravan as well. :-(

• Like Like x 1
  11. olley

olley Funster

Paid £6 a night for a bumpy grass field at a cl, and paid around £75 at a site near Venice, and a similar price at a holiday camp at Burnham on Sea one Easter. If its where you want to be, you pay the price.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

not if you're a tight git like me .. :LOL:

seriously , no I wouldn't pay that sort of price.. we have paid £30 a night for a site at Royan.. but that was an exception..

13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Seaview International in Cornwall wanted £48 per night for 3 of us and our dog
    I just lught and walked off
    now that was rip off went to the king Arthur car park stayed three nights
    bill

14. olley

olley Funster

Jim you just don't want to be anywhere badly enough. :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I am in the same figure as Jim. £ 10 without ehu and £15 with. Would not happily pay any more for unwanted extras like toilets, showers.

Hotels are a problem too, charging the earth for pools and gyms when all that's wanted is a bed for the night. Thank goodness for premier inn etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We sometimes (hopefully soon more often) Stay at pubs for free, with access to water and toilets/shower(leccy extra) but usually end up spending about £40-£60 on meals and drinks in the pub, so not sure how cost effective our free nights are ;)

17. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes - the canalside campsite at Bath was expensive, but it was freezing cold when we were there so we made full use of the electric and it was dead handy for Bath as has been said. After there we went to the CC site at Minehead and that was a bit cheaper and for that we got snow and wild deer on site every morning!

We hardly ever go on sites though, CLs mainly. One we use in Norfolk the lady is always moaning cos the CC keeps wanting her to put her prices up and install electricity which she doesn't want to, neither do the people who use the CL. You can hardly ever get in the place as there are so many regulars. And she only does it for a hobby, not a living. Think she probably only keeps it CC because of less hassle with insurance, so she only has to renew the one thing and not several.

Think she still charges about £9 a night.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dryad

dryad Funster

only use sites when i need to charge my powerchair and scooter batteries up, (apart from meets on sites of course) electric costs for all those is less than 50p worth, rest of the time i wildcamp or use britstops as i'm going to use a pub to eat anyway, 'tis only me, and don't find pleasure in cooking for just one anymore..

19. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I paid around £40 a night for the site at Seahouses. Lovely site, right in the town with access to their swimming pool and gym, well worth it. There are some tight gits out there aren't there?(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We did stop at Skegness Sands just after new year for one night it was £25 inc electric showers etc. The C/L we usually use is not open at that time of year so little choice really.