What is the french for the vet check before returning to the UK? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to keep asking questions about this
What do i ask a french vet for when i ring up about getting our dog seen for the pet passport?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Its just in my experience most french have bad English
I'm not quite sure what I'm asking for myself
A check up and worming tablets for the pet passport to travel to england?
Can you tell it's our first time ? haha

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just ask in english they are unlikely to have a problem
Assuming they speak English, we prefer to try and speak the language of the country we are in, it's more polite.
Something like Je voudrais fait un rendezvous pour mon chien return a Angleterre, will work, but we don't profess to be fluent in French.
it gets us what we want, just make sure you understand the reply.
They usually ask your name and give you a time, they may ask when you are returning. Our vet usually gives us an appointment time of 14:30.
Sometimes they will change to English if they can speak it, but don't expect them to all the time.

Do you know which vet you will use? It may be easier to physically visit the vets, it easier talking face to face than over the phone.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No help, but the first time I saw a pet passport I wondered why, unlike a passport for humans, it wasn't written in both English and French?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No help, but the first time I saw a pet passport I wondered why, unlike a passport for humans, it wasn't written in both English and French?

Pet passports seem to be written in the language/s of country of origin plus English. Mine are in Greek, Turkish and English ! ( issued in Cyprus)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yeh i agree about the politeness aspect and we love trying to speak French any way
We just thought there was an actual term for what we are asking for. Pet passport will do it i guess.

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
I try to keep it simple.
I've just found my last invoice it says " veloxa chien "
That's the tablet and chien is dog.
It also says " retour Angleterre" - return to England.
Hth

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Don't bother ringing up but just walk in to the Vets, show them the Pet Passport and 99 out of a 100 Vets and their receptionists will recognise the Passport and know exactly what you need.

Plenty of 'Merci beaucoup Monsieur/Madame' and 'Au revoir' as you leave should suffice for the non-French speaker.

Worked for us first time.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
je vousdrais prendre un rendezvous avec un veterinere.
I'd like to make an Appointment with a vet

I'm sorry, but their reply would be totally incomprehensive to me as they give a list of appointment times and dates.

We found it's much better face to face where the use of pencil and paper and the usual hand signals and shrugging gets a better response and result.

Everyone to their own but we prefer the personal approach which works better for us.

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
I'm sorry, but their reply would be totally incomprehensive to me as they give a list of appointment times and dates.

We found it's much better face to face where the use of pencil and paper and the usual hand signals and shrugging gets a better response and result.

Everyone to their own but we prefer the personal approach which works better for us.

Yes, I see, but the original post was asking for the French

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
French is no longer the lingua Franca.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Typical request - they'll know exactly what you are asking for:

"Hello, I would like to make an appointment for a veterinary control of my dog before I return to England. I have a reservation for the ferry at 1600hrs on Monday 5th June"

Translated: Bonjour, Je voudrais faire un rendez-vous pour un contrôle vétérinaire de mon chien avant que je retourne en Angleterre. J'ai une réservation pour le ferry à 16h00 le lundi 5 juin

By the time you've said that, they'll realise that rather than let you mangle the language any further, it's easier to reply in English....:D

If you let them know the scheduled time of your ferry, they'll fit the appointment in within the time-scale permitted

HTH....

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We take our own pills and pop into a vet when we see them and everyone so far has done it there and then. Max charge i think was 30 euros but most dont charge, I speak little french but every vet has spoken English to one degree or another.

Dont do it anywhere near a port as it get very expensive then .

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Typical request - they'll know exactly what you are asking for:

"Hello, I would like to make an appointment for a veterinary control of my dog before I return to England. I have a reservation for the ferry at 1600hrs on Monday 5th June"

Translated: Bonjour, Je voudrais faire un rendez-vous pour un contrôle vétérinaire de mon chien avant que je retourne en Angleterre. J'ai une réservation pour le ferry à 16h00 le lundi 5 juin

By the time you've said that, they'll realise that rather than let you mangle the language any further, it's easier to reply in English....:D

If you let them know the scheduled time of your ferry, they'll fit the appointment in within the time-scale permitted

HTH....

Not too bad! Hadn't seen it before I answered!
Have you build it up by yourself or did you ask google? Google is usually rubbish

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Its great to ask in the language of the country but will you understand the reply?

That's what I usually say! Get trained with me first LOL, if you can understand me then, you shouldn't have any prob!

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013

Please don't tell me how you mime " worms" :X3:

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
The treatment required is against tapeworm.

I would like treatment against tapeworm please and in French

Je voudrais un traitement contre ténia s'il vous plaît

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Haha, I cannot tell a lie - largely made up myself but confirmed (and slightly changed from) Google Translate - which provides the accents! I have a house in France but sadly my language skills are woefully short of where they should be. I manage most of the time though:)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Haha, I cannot tell a lie - largely made up myself but confirmed (and slightly changed from) Google Translate - which provides the accents! I have a house in France but sadly my language skills are woefully short of where they should be. I manage most of the time though:)

Keep trying , and one of the tips I usually give, is never learn a word by itself , learn the whole sentence. Mainly because everything will change according to gender and number. If you don't find any example in which the word is used then always learn it with its gender.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back