Free Member
Jun 28, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2010
Afternoon funsters, I am looking to buy a BBQ, must be portable and big enough for two. N
I have seen the Cobb and the Lotus being pushed and both getting good reviews. Has anyone used the items or have an alternative. Any information is welcome

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Love the Avator!
We have both the gas and briquette type cobb, we bought the briquette one first with all the add ons and found it a bit slow sometimes ... Longer to get going, but maybe I was a bit ambitious with a leg of Lamb!
We then bought the basic gas kit ie new lid and base because all the other plates etc fit it.
Having used both I would really recommend the gas one most, thats the one we will always take with us in future, it is a bit bigger than the other because of the cannister holder but much quicker to cook with than the briquette, the gas of course gives instant heat. We use the frying pan, griddle, done pizza, curries and casseroles.
If you love cooking its a really nice bit of kit.
The other one will now be used in the garden at home. Easy to clean, pack up when you know the order and some nice recipes in the book. We just sit it on small table and it is easy to clean and you can move it about even when it is hot. I haven't any experience of the Lotus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Got the Cobb, takes ages to get hot and a pain to clean but does a good job. Got a Cadac safari chef and it's my preferred option.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Like most on here I have a Cadac but don't rate it at all. You have no control of the heat, it's either full blast or off. The griddle has badly corroded after two years, so would welcome other suggestions on this thread.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Got the Cobb, takes ages to get hot and a pain to clean but does a good job. Got a Cadac safari chef and it's my preferred option.
Yeh we have a Cadac Safari they seem to be very popular and it does the job for the two of us.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Like most on here I have a Cadac but don't rate it at all. You have no control of the heat, it's either full blast or off. The griddle has badly corroded after two years, so would welcome other suggestions on this thread.
If it's the solid griddle you have a problem with then send an e-mail to Cadac including photos of the problem, we did and they sent us a replacement, no quibbles

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
If it's the solid griddle you have a problem with then send an e-mail to Cadac including photos of the problem, we did and they sent us a replacement, no quibbles
Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had all sorts and this is our preference - it comes in its own plastic suitcase so any fat, mess etc that you happen to get on it is contained; it is a grill, BBQ and stove in one; it is very controllable and runs off the standard 'aerosol' type canisters which can be bought absolutely everywhere which is ideal as we like to take one of the standard suitcase stoves too which run off the same cansisters. If you want to use it like most people do a Cadac Safari chef simply buy a griddle plate to go on it!
Marksman grill.jpg

suitcase 3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg

suitcase gas stove.jpg

griddle plate.jpg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Dont bother.......Just wait until the family in the next van have finished cooking, then saunter up with a plate of sausage and say "Hey, mind if we use your barbie before it gets cold"? That way, they get to clean it whilst your eating. (y)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We also have a Cadac but recently bought a "Weber go anywhere" BBQ as I was against having a charcoal style due to mess and time factor but I have to admit there is no mess really and it is hot very quickly and the food does have more flavour

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a cadac.. But lately I've been looking at that 'Son of Hibachi'.. I really like it.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
This looks pretty good. Thinking of getting one myself even though I have a Cadac and a portable gas stove.
Broken Link Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Best? I have tried and sold most BBQ,s my favourite (which I don't sell btw) is the Magma Gourmet. American, all Stainless Steel runs of cartridge or bottled gas and is so easy to clean.

You need flame for a crispy steak, that is still red in the middle lol

My Son always insists on his Cadac which is OK from breakfast, especially bacon, but he still arrives with his steaks when the Magma is on since I pointed out that the Cadac "boils" steak leaving it "grey" in the middle.

No Eddie ducks lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back