What is the best BBQ

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Billy23, May 24, 2012.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I am thinking of buying a BBQ and wondered if you guys could point me towards a small ( just for 2) gas BBQ, it would be better (I guess) if it worked off a large gas bottle as we spend a lot of time in Spain and getting the small bottles maybe a problem when not in UK.

I could buy it in UK or Europe, just thought that with all the experience on this forum, I should ask the question.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Price, well price is not a problem but I was looking for whatever you guys consider a "Good Buy"

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. acting_strange

acting_strange

3. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Having used quite a few over our camping and caravanning years we decided to buy a new one this year for our new MH adventures. We looked long and hard and finally decided upon a Weber Q 220. This is our first gas BBQ as I've always been a die-hard caveman of fire, sitting there cooking half a dead animal on charcoal embers.....

Anyway have to say that we are very pleased with the 220 although you mentioned only for 2 people, then the 100 or 120 would be enough.

I've modified mine so that it can fit the larger and cheaper gas cartridges rather than the weber only, smaller and more expensive versions... didn't want a heavy bottle even if it's overall more economical either way they are worth a look at.

You can get a stand and a nice cover if that's your thing.

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

try a cobb

suggest you find out about a Cobb .. used them for 3 years now.. and they are fantastic.

Bob

5. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Webber are very good BBQ's but we chose the Cadac as it was close to £100.00 cheaper many use cadac because you can run it off a bottle or straight off the van gas saving carrying bottles.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thanks for the info Bob, I looked at them on line and it seems you have to get special brick type fuel for them, is the fuel easy to get? And can you get the fuel in Europe do you know?

Have to say I like the idea, thanks again.

7. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We had a Cadac for 1 year then sold it and bought a Weber - 100 or 120 - can't remember off the top of my head - sorry! We've had it 4 years now.

It's brilliant!:BigGrin:

I use it all the time in UK in the summer and Spain in the winter with a CampingGaz 907 bottle which we can exchange just about anywhere!

I use it for normal BBQ stuff but also for roasts and roast potatoes - even pizzas! I've even made my own Cornish Pasties and cooked them in it!:thumb::thumb:

8. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Hi Rick
    Cadac seem like a good one, can you remember the model you got?

9. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Carri chef delux......we bought a set of smaller legs £10 which gave us the option of freestanding or tabletop.....we also bought the paella pan and we don't use any thing else.......we have BBQ for two but we have also done more than one for a lot more people........it is the most versatile one I have found......light weight and packs down for easy storage.

All the best Rick

10. Carreraboy

Carreraboy Funster

Weber Q120 for us. Top quality bit of kit and certainly made to last.

They come with Weber gas canisters making it totally portable or we plug ours straight into the gas outlet in the side of the van. You can of course connect it to the normal gas bottles with an adapter.

Kevin

11. aba

aba

on recommendations i got on here i am going to purchase a paella pan and one of those £10.00 gas rings that run on the aerosol size cans of gas. compact and cheap.

most people with cadacs only use the paella pan as cleaning the rest of it seems to be a pain and if i feel like cremating half a cow somewhere i'll just buy a couple of disposable ones.

12. manda3000gt

manda3000gt Funster

Weber 220 for us, run it off the gas outlet on the RV
    Although we are looking at getting a Cadac with the paella pan seems quicker and cleaner for breakfast's

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Like Rick, we have a cadac carri-chef delux.

and like rick we only use the solid pan, in our case the skottle top or the cast iron griddle.

use it as a conventional BBQ with wire grill and they are a bugger to clean.

cooked lemon chicken, curry and pizza on mine, as well as the usually BBQ meats etc, though I started using the silicon baking sheet so the Cadac doesn't need cleaning at all...just wash the sheet and dry.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richgj

Richgj Funster

We to use a cadac carri-chef delux. It's great for cooked breakfast, curries standard bbq's and so on. It's down to personel preference but we find it a great all rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

We have a safari chef too, attach to a BBQ point inside the locker.

Love the many different configs it can do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Drew

Drew Funster

Personally, and because I make charcoal in my spare time :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:, I would suggest the Outwell Cazal Portable Notebook Grill BBQ http://www.tauntonleisure.com/outwell-cazal-portable-camping-grill/p4924?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1
    It folds flat so you will have plenty of room for the bag of charcoal (get proper barbecue charcoal made in the UK or locally on the continent not briquettes or cheap lumpwood charcoal they are not worth using) and one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Master-Chimney-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0030BN0DA"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Master-Chimney-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0030BN0DA[/ame]
    There's nothing like cooking over charcoal. :thumb::thumb:

17. Bill123

Bill123 Read Only Funster

We've got a Cadac (the Safari Chef, I think) - Mr Bill loves it - although he's only really done breakfast on it. Good thing is it all packs together, and the main unit lives on top of the spare gas bottle in the gas locker out of the way.

18. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Yes that's like ours, we mainly use the little bags of "instant light" charcoal.
    The space taken up by the charcoal on the way out is then taken up by wine on the way back:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Used a Cobb for years now, really nice bit of kit, but just bought a cadac so I can use it off the LPG tank on the RV. Gonna use it for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it as so many people recommend them. :thumb:

20. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Just as I thought, a wonderful selection of BBQ from you guys. It seems that the Cadac has the most " followers" so I shall be looking into getting one.

Thanks 2 everybody for taking the trouble to guide me in the right direction.