What Is It With Some People?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big Lad, May 24, 2015.

1. Big Lad

Big Lad Funster

Now, ive not been motorhoming long, but I understand the etiquette regarding the general waving when you see a fellow motorhomer coming the other way....

But...

I have to say, there are some miserable so & so's about.

When i go anywhere, I do tend to keep myself to myself, but will always say hello or good morning to others and have a natter if the chance arises with other motorhomers...

But I have encountered some this past couple of weeks some who
    Totally blanked me when i said good morning, and some who dont bother waving... worst offenders seem to be those in new motorhomes for some reason (I know theyre probably a minority) is this a BMW vs ford mondeo syndrome maybe?

Now, I have checked and made sure I used my under arm deoderant so i dont think it was that.

To top it all, we had some woman at the storage compound i use look down her nose at us (she was towing a caravan so i dont think this counts) :)

maybe im reading too much into this but it seems some caravaners dont like motorhomers, and then theres a hierarchy within the motorhome community?

Anybody else encountered it?

• Like Like x 12
  2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Encountered both!
    But 99% of people we meet are great whether tuggers or chuggers!

• Like Like x 12
  3. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I always make a point of waving at oncoming motorhomes. The main exception to this is when on a motorway as I sometimes like to look where I'm going.

As you say, there are some miserable people about but I still always say hello if appropriate, they are the ones with a problem.

Paul

• Like Like x 10
  4. Big Lad

Big Lad Funster

Yes I agree paul.

I think it is a minority but I seemed to of encountered the total 1% that week :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

No hierarchy we are aware of, but one thing that caught us out for a while,
    Many motorhomes, even those on UK plates are LHD, including ours. So while I always try to wave I was not sure I had been seen. So now we both wave, passenger and driver, to be sure.
    So next time you think that someone has not waved, glance over to see the near side just to check that the driver is not waving frantically.

Or maybe the oncomming occupants are just not into the spirit of the comaradarie of motorhoming

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Yes.
    To prevent people blanking you; shout loud enough to penetrate their ear wax.
    Many seem to go out of their way to avoid communication.
    The drill for them is to park up, put up window blinds, let dog out for a crap, shut themselves back in again.
    Weird!

• Like Like x 8
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'm a waver..... wave at other motorhomes. horse boxes, van, travelling shops....... If people wave back it makes me smile - if not it's their loss.

I've also been known to wave when in the car and even when on foot :)

• Like Like x 8
  8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

we always used to give the cool camper man v so sometimes it gets misinterpreted for something more offensive
    so we reverted to waving.:Eeek:
    we find the Hymar and RV owners the worst offenders for not waving back.
    but in general 98% wave or flash there lights.
    so keep waving and smiling :BigGrin:
    bill

• Like Like x 5
  9. Highwayman1

Highwayman1 Funster

It`s nice if they do wave but I don`t worry if they don`t. Lots going on in other peoples `space`. My old mum used to say to me that "Every house we pass have their own problems, some big and some small ".
    Yep there are some miserable so & so`s about but I deal with them as they arise. Saying `Good morning ` to people who don`t reply is followed with a louder `Not good morning then`.
    Holding open a door for some one who doesn`t acknowledge the fact is followed by `Don`t mention it`.
    I try to instil in my boys the common courtesies that I was taught growing up and it has worked to a greater degree so far. We are all individuals and I take the view that most people have their own insecurities - `some big some small`. If you`ve been in the Armed Forces then you will know how different the NAAFI is to the Officers Mess haha

• Like Like x 12
  10. Big Lad

Big Lad Funster

Puddleduck, had to laugh, I have to admit ive been caught out with the horse boxes and morrisons vans :)

• Like Like x 6
  11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

I think that sometimes it depends where you are and when it is. We have the M4, M5 and the A303 around us. These roads get busy with traffic heading to or from the West Country so you can be passing one van after another during busy periods. I find most wave back on the smaller roads if nobody is travelling in a virtual convoy. If people don't wave back, no problem...not obligatory. Nice when they do though...:smiley:

• Like Like x 3
  12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I try and wave but often don't on the motorway ..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I nearly fell of my bike waving at a camper when I was out with jay the look I got from the occupant's of the van
    bill

• Like Like x 3
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A quick flash of the headlights followed by a wave seems to work.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

People are weird and sometimes it takes an 'event' to get them to open up. We were caravanning up near Kiel years ago. Hubby would say Guten tag every day to this German guy....totally blanked....and then we survived a very wild and windy night. static homes were blown over or had roofs ripped off. Steve had tied the awning down inside with parachute cord in a series of cross cross lines. German guy was very impressed with English ingenuity and thereafter spoke, smiled and brought hubby the fish he caught!

• Like Like x 3
  16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I think you are reading too much in to it. Wave if you want, but don't let it bother you if someone doesn't wave back, its no big deal. If you say good morning someone and they blank you, move on in the knowledge that you tried to be polite and friendly but on the end do you really give a s..t.

As for snobbishness, the same applies, if someone acts that way they are probably insecure and trying to boost their own idea of their own importance, do you really give a s..i.. No move on and forget it.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I once said Guten tag to a guy in a motorhome with a D on the back at Parc Verger!
    He responded in perfect English with a laugh....I am Dutch!!!
    Obviously lives in Germany!

• Like Like x 3
  18. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I like to say Hello to everybody I meet, and I wave for the first few miles, then sometimes I wish we had the queen travelling with us
    [​IMG]
    Him Indoors doesn't speak to anyone if he can help it (he's quite deaf & would worry about mishearing whatever was said back to him) and he NEVER waves - too busy concentrating on the road whether it's him driving or me! He certainly isn't into hierarchies or snobbery; so please don't take any of it personally.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  19. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Glad I have a Hymer then:D and I always wave except when I don't notice the other van :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I once done the Gutentag bit to this guy in Belgium her responded with my mum lives round the corner from you I have a German register van because I live there not German.
    I had seen a German registered car in the street Frome time to time his face was familiar but never put two and two together small world
    bill

• Like Like x 3