What is it and how can I get rid of the thing

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Stewart J, May 1, 2014.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

This last week whenever I'm checking through the forums I've noticed certain words are highlighted blue, these can be anything for example in the awning woes thread dealer is highlighted. Hovering my mouse over it brings up a box inviting me to "Dealers Survey £75 gift" and "click here to answer 3 questions and claim todays gift wort over £50 "

Its very irritating and I cannot find any program associated with it?

Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of the damn thing :Angry:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Its just highlighted "very" on the above post:Eeek: and this one!

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Stewart See my thread entitled words underlined in red .... I have the same problem just a different colour.

(I just started Firefox but held the shift button down... that worked for a while) Joy

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Already tried Malwarebytes, just downloaded and run Spybot, its still there :Angry:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You might have to restart to get rid of it, depending on how it is embedded.

7. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Every time I try these free download computer repair sites , I always end up with a lot of strange programmes downloaded with it.

I then find my home page has a strange search engine and I have to go through and delete programmes to get rid of them.
    :Eeek:

8. scotjimland

ok.. I assume you have updated your anti-virus and done a full scan ?

if so.. try here for more removal tools..http://www.techsupportall.com/

9. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

I've had that in the past (as well as large unwanted adverts covering up the pages.)

I've installed 'Adblock' and that seems to have eradicated it. It took time but it's done the job. I'm on 'Chrome' I assume you can get it for Firefox. If not, you could migrate over to another system, annoying but worth it to get rid of it. Good Luck:thumb:

I've just looked on Google and it can be installed on Firefox.

10. Yorick

Yorick Funster

This is how I imagine Dawn B sorting hers :Laughing:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. movan

Hate to tell you this Yorick, but at Peterborough Dawn really DID go for gun practice with Mike. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sift

Sift Read Only Funster

13. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

The problem seems to be offers4u :-

The Offers4U infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.
    Offers4U it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program. Offers4U is an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, and distributed through various monetization platforms during installation.
    Offers4U is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program. When you install these free programs, they will also install Offers4U as well. Some of the programs that are known to bundle Offers4U include 1ClickDownload, Superfish, Yontoo and FBPhotoZoom. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Offers4U is a virus.
    Once installed, the Offers4U browser extension will highlight words on the websites that you are visiting transforming them into hyperlinks. These Offers4U links are placed inside your text (hence the name), and they come with a double underline to differentiate them from normal links. Once the user rolls the mouse over the link the advertising will pop. Should the user click on the Offers4U links the browser extension developer will get an affiliate revenue.

Will revert once I sort its removal

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/offers4u-virus-removal/

• Like Like x 4
  14. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

change your browser to Torch and use the facilities which stop malware and adverts

If son was home he could give you more info :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

15. movan

Stewart, I went onto that removal site and the Offers4U virus kept locking my computer screen...:Angry: If I could get my hands on them ... I would ..... oops best not say in case little Charlie is reading. :Blush:

16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Google "how to remove shop4u" there are a lot of solutions for different browsers I use Firefox and seem to have it under control at present time will tell. :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thats easy to avoid......

When you download a program simply check carefully for pre ticked boxes allowing installation of unwanted browsers and programs.

Free programs will nearly always carry 3rd party downloads of some description and If you just wade in agreeing to terms etc without checking they download automatically.

• Like Like x 3
  18. scotjimland

absolutely correct John.. but they are getting clever..

some you need to untick .. others tick.. and some make it look as though you must tick in order for the download to continue..

I'm pretty clued up on it,.. but have been caught out by some of the new tactics..

Just recently my PC got infested by malware that took ages to clear out.. :Angry:..

• Like Like x 1
  19. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I thought she looked like this with a MHF list at hand -:Eeek:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting "free repair sites", well I hope not. We do suggest some programs ( apps to any teens reading this ) that are know to fix problems.

There is even a problem in some of these, to fund the free ones they sometimes sneak little check boxes like "Make Chrome my browser", you have to look out for these and uncheck them.

Never take sweets from a stranger, never accept free "anything" unless you are absolutely sure it's not going to bite you.

• Like Like x 2