What I-Pad?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Aug 31, 2014.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Interested in a Apple Mini I Pad, Only need it for taking photos, E Mails etc what do you think.

Some have I think the name Retina what is that?

Colyboy

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Don't know what Retina means in an ipad. I've had my iPad mini about a year and a half. Love it, very light to carry in a bag/backpack. Takes good photos easily. Nothing about it I dislike.

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Retina is Apple's high res display (326ppi vis 163ppi on the standard one) If you are only reading text it doesn't matter but if you watch video or look at pictures it does make a lot of difference. Well worth the extra 60 or 70 quid on the iPad mini IMO

4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Love my ipad. Use it to surf the net. Read my mail and the daily mail on line ! And of course MHF. Don't do face book or twitter.

5. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

By how much can you zoom in? My small camera does 35X?

I mention this simply to point out that though the resolution may be OK most tablets have cameras are very limited.

6. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Don't buy an iPad for photo's

Buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

The iPad is OK if you are already an apple user. The Samsung has a far superior camera, with more effects, and much better results all round.

I used to train people to use these tablet computers. The Galaxy is far superior. More apps, better battery, screen is more than adequate, and easy to see in the sunlight. Plus it has the same OS (Android) as your phone (Unless you have an apple phone)

iPad has a very limited camera capability, less functionality, far lower quality picture output.

The "retina" display is just the name they give the technology used in the screen. No biggie

• Like Like x 1
  7. OddSocks

How much of that 35X is optical though? You loose quality with digital zoom.
    Neither the iPad nor the Samsung has much optical zoom capability. They are not camera after all.....

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm an Android fan for phones, but there is not a tablet yet that will beat an iPad. The build quality is superb and it will outlive most the samsung products, we have the a first generation iPad that works everyday, and even though its old even it is better than ANY android tablet I've ever used, and I've used a few. IMO Nothing comes even close to the stability or usability of the iPad. Photos though is a different matter, cameras on Apple devices have only just got any good and are still way behind others.

• Like Like x 4
  9. OddSocks

Beg to differ I'm afraid. I trained dozens of people on whatever device they happened to have purchased. Probably 40% iPads, the rest Android based, many Samsungs. In every case the student leaned more quickly and easily on the Android device. I found them to be reliable and well built. Yes, the build quality of Apple is very high, and they work well, but my father had one last year which went so wrong so often apple gave him free lessons for a year it was so bad! They have gone down hill. Plus, the OP stated he wanted to use it for photography, and you can't beat the Samsung for that with any tablet.

Plus Apple are a horrible company. Seriously nasty business practices, treat there staff in China like slaves. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! When they had a problem with too many workers commiting suicide off the roof of their buildings they solved the problems by putting up nets to catch them. they also wrote into contracts that an atempted suicide would result in termination without pay. They employ girls as young as 16 to work 12 hour shifts for a few dollars a day. Unethical and mean spirited. And the richest technology company in the world.

• Like Like x 3
  10. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

If you want to take photos buy a camera.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Mrs BB has an iPad mini with retina display. From IT virgin to enthusiastic apple fan in the first six months. She loves it, shame I can't afford one too. Her photos are brilliant and our eleven year old goddaughter teaches her something new each and every day!

12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

If your buying new then I think you will only get "retina" version as they are the latest ones.. Second hand or refurbs units may not have retina but still very useable...

GO FOR IT....

13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have an iPad mini. Love it. Great apps, easy to use, great screen too.
    I've tried Android, so have all the family, but we all ended up with iPads because they are easier to use. My mother in law struggled for 4 years trying to get her Galaxy phone and android tablet to do what she wanted. She gave in and bought an iPad mini and iPhone 4 and could use them perfectly in a couple of days.
    What a relief, I don't know how many times I explained how to use her Galaxy, it was just too complicated for her.
    If you are going to be taking pictures to email and use on the web, the ipad will do it. Photos aren't it's best feature through, especially as the light starts to go.
    Allan

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

My 5 year old loves gadgets. He has used my iPad for almost 2 years. We got him a good Android tablet and after a few days he said,

"Can I use the iPad again Dad, it's so much faster and easier to use. This (Android) Tablet is so lumpy!"...

out of the mouths of babes...........:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. JonMac46

JonMac46 Read Only Funster

Recommend you look into the ProCamera HD app for the iPad rather than use Apple's one.

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I wouldn't get an iPad just for photos. It can take them but as has been said you can't really beat a camera.

As for usability I consider the iPad is far superior to any other tablet I have used. For a start it is idiot proof and reliable so much so that even elderly people with no computer experience soon get the hang of them.

My daughter is now using my first generation iPad which is about 4-5 years old I think and no problems. I currently have the IPad Air which I love. Personally I would avoid the IPad 3 because the one I had was very heavy on the battery,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I told Mrs BB what you wrote about her and she doesn't like you anymore!:D(y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I've a standard sized iPad and my wife has the Mini version.

She loves hers. I love mine. I'd never have the Mini as I find it just a trifle too small. The larger version is better for zooming in on things occasionally, whereas I find myself doing that a lot on the Mini. My eyeseight is perfect, but I just prefer the larger screen.

Agree the camera isn't brilliant, but as we both have late model iPhones with good cameras, all images are shared anyway. It's easier and more convenient to take a photo with an iPhone rather than an iPad.

19. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

It is a joke!!!

Why do people spent £400 on an iPad just to browse the net, look at Facebook, do some emails and take the odd photo.

You can do all of this just as easily on an Android tablet costing £130.

Unless you have money to burn then an iPad is a ludicrously expensive piece of fashion technology that has been built up by amazing marketing and a me-too mentality.

I'm constantly amazed how zombie-like people are when it comes to buying iPads and iPhones. It seems perfectly rational people lose all their common sense when it comes to analysing their tech needs and then making a purchase based on those needs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Except an iPad will outlive 3 cheap android tablets. Infact our original iPad has outlived at least 6 Hudl and Samsung tablest (lots of kids) And the user experience just browsing is twice as good as the best Android let alone the 130 quid ones. People buy them for the same reason they buy German motorhomes ;)

• Like Like x 2