what I love about motorhoming (1 Viewer)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Go where we want, stop where & when we want. (More or less). Eat what time we want and don't have to get all titivated every night to go for dinner. Can go posh if we feel like it. Always got our own bed. Take different foods and wines home & reminisce while drinking/eating before we set off again. That's just for starters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I think being able to totally relax in your own space, wherever you are.

That's exactly it for us. We enjoy being 'strangers' too, although I'm not quite sure what that means now I've typed it. I think it means that we're unlikely to bump into people we don't want to talk to! :)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Before we had a motorhome we always use to say wouldn't it be nice if we could just transport our home to another location now we can, great. Also we too have big smiles whenever were in the van. :)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I thought it would be just like caravanning.....but it's SO much better! Still very new to us so lots yet to experience, but I ADORE my little home away from home, and the VERY best bit is sharing these adventures with amazing new friends made through FUN, as well as escaping on our own away from all the stresses of work and family.
And a fridge that holds lots of beer. And wine. And gin. And wine. Did I mention wine? :wine:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The ability to go where you want, when you want, to take the car on an 'A' frame, get up when you want, take the dogs where they want, to wave goodbye to work every weekend, (to view the envy of your workmates), see places you have never seen before, friendships building along the way, fart when I like, the dogs fart when they like without being yelled at, falling asleep in the sun under the wind-out, cracking a can when you want, having a snooze when you want, being overtaken by people that wished they were in our van, brewin up in a traffic jam, sea views, meadow views, remote real ale pubs, long walks, short walks, seeing birds come to investigate their new neighbours, finding uninhabited beaches, being our own masters, being courteous to other motohomers AND tuggers, popping the barbie open whenever you want, walking bare foot in the grass, emptying the Thetford, cleaning MoHo, buying accessories you will never use but have to take (just in case), smelling fresh air, smelling bacon on the go in the morning, seeing castles, stately homes and thatched cottages, being able to just get up and go to Spain 'for a ride', be tortoise like in having your home on your back, celebrating your excellent solar system and bragging about it when not on EHU - what is an EHU? playing with a ball with the dogs, seeing the smiles all around, wandering along country lanes not knowing what's around the corner, joining in with the locals - wherever that may be, wearing what we want, not shaving or brushing what's left of my hair, coming back after a long hard walk along the jurassic coastal path, finding chocolate hidden for her 'cool' moments, sleeping in my over-cab bed with the window open and the cool summer breeze blowing over my half naked body, hearing kids playing in the distance, seeing violent coastal storms whilst huddled warm in MoHo, lightening, thunder, rain hammering on the roof, the dawn chorus, seeing seagulls waking the neighbours up at silly o clock as they jump about of the roof, taking the bike, reading a book, seeing the dogs asleep whilst being content with their surroundings, taking the grandkids, following Chinese sat-nav to new destinations without the stress of remembering the route - "at loundabout take next light and you are over the speed rimit", laughing at ourselves, smiling at other motorists to the point of insanity, WAVING to other MoHo'ers, not waving to unhappy MoHo'ers, fuelling up and thinking "I bet no one in here is going to have as much fun as us for this £50 I'm sticking in the tank", did I mention farting??? Oh yes, keeping a journal and reliving the past trips, never seeing the same place twice, seeing the same place more than twice if we wish, sleeping under the stars if we wish, seeing whales, porpoises, crabs, going to places we did as children, being part of this wonderful forum,,,,,,,,,,, But other than that, not much really.:p

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Gerri19
Agree totally about it being so much better than caravanning, no faffing when you get to site. Just pull up, spin the seats round, get a drink - marvellous(y)

Added of course that we can share the driving (and I love driving the mh) and so easy to turn the van around if you're not parked quite right for the sun/wind etc :D

Can't wait to go again:)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
The ability to go where you want, when you want, to take the car on an 'A' frame, get up when you want, take the dogs where they want, to wave goodbye to work every weekend, (to view the envy of your workmates), see places you have never seen before, friendships building along the way, fart when I like, the dogs fart when they like without being yelled at, falling asleep in the sun under the wind-out, cracking a can when you want, having a snooze when you want, being overtaken by people that wished they were in our van, brewin up in a traffic jam, sea views, meadow views, remote real ale pubs, long walks, short walks, seeing birds come to investigate their new neighbours, finding uninhabited beaches, being our own masters, being courteous to other motohomers AND tuggers, popping the barbie open whenever you want, walking bare foot in the grass, emptying the Thetford, cleaning MoHo, buying accessories you will never use but have to take (just in case), smelling fresh air, smelling bacon on the go in the morning, seeing castles, stately homes and thatched cottages, being able to just get up and go to Spain 'for a ride', be tortoise like in having your home on your back, celebrating your excellent solar system and bragging about it when not on EHU - what is an EHU? playing with a ball with the dogs, seeing the smiles all around, wandering along country lanes not knowing what's around the corner, joining in with the locals - wherever that may be, wearing what we want, not shaving or brushing what's left of my hair, coming back after a long hard walk along the jurassic coastal path, finding chocolate hidden for her 'cool' moments, sleeping in my over-cab bed with the window open and the cool summer breeze blowing over my half naked body, hearing kids playing in the distance, seeing violent coastal storms whilst huddled warm in MoHo, lightening, thunder, rain hammering on the roof, the dawn chorus, seeing seagulls waking the neighbours up at silly o clock as they jump about of the roof, taking the bike, reading a book, seeing the dogs asleep whilst being content with their surroundings, taking the grandkids, following Chinese sat-nav to new destinations without the stress of remembering the route - "at loundabout take next light and you are over the speed rimit", laughing at ourselves, smiling at other motorists to the point of insanity, WAVING to other MoHo'ers, not waving to unhappy MoHo'ers, fuelling up and thinking "I bet no one in here is going to have as much fun as us for this £50 I'm sticking in the tank", did I mention farting??? Oh yes, keeping a journal and reliving the past trips, never seeing the same place twice, seeing the same place more than twice if we wish, sleeping under the stars if we wish, seeing whales, porpoises, crabs, going to places we did as children, being part of this wonderful forum,,,,,,,,,,, But other than that, not much really.:p

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

What he said:p

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My wife is an Aspie and she doesn't like going anywhere outside of the home but the MH is the home ,it just happens to drive anywhere I want to go, and she feels safe in it. Going on holiday before was a nightmare as she hate crowds such as airports in planes etc and wants to stay in the Hotel not going out hardly at all. We can now go and I can go out she will happily sit and read etc with no pressure from me to go out.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
1. Being able to do what we want when we want. If that's a nap in the middle of the afternoon in the High Street of a village or town so be it.

2. Being tucked up in bed 20 metres from the sea eating fish and chips watching a film.

3. Knowing that the moment we don't like where we are we can be gone in under 2 minutes.

4, Being able to pull over in a lay by, put the kettle on, put my feet up and relax in the middle of a journey with all the creature comforts of home around me.

5. Not having to pay someone about 80 quid a night for a bed for us both with a fry up before being asked to vacate the room.

6. Getting out the chunnel on the French side without a bloody clue where we're going to go for a month and then spreading the map across the table, drinking a coffee and deciding.

7. Travelling through France for a week in a mini convoy with French and Belgians who we had met during the journey, BBQ'ing and drinking with them all in beautiful places watching the sun set over the sea.

8. The excitement of currently planning how to spend 4 months of the year down on the Costas to avoid the British winter.

I could go on......:)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
What is motorhoming? It’s about freedom, real freedom, going where you want when you want, being surrounded by your own things, not continually emptying suitcases, filling suitcases, sleeping in beds that are too soft or too hard.

It’s about enjoying the scenery around you. It’s about the people you meet and stay in touch with.

It’s about the pace you do things at. It’s about control. It’s about seeing places you would not normally see.

It’s about escaping - arriving at Calais and deciding to head north, south or east. If it’s raining in the north then go east or south. If you arrive at a place and decide it’s not what you expected, then you can move on to somewhere better.

You have your own personal lounge, dining room, bedroom, kitchen and even loo that you can transport to wherever you want to go.

Our 'van is our cottage in the country and our beach hut when on the coast. It's a seat by the window in a restaurant with the best view possible. And a hotel with a fantastic view from the bedroom, the kitchen and the loo!

A motorhome enables you to make the very most of every free day that you have.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It's about a life that's completely different than our work/home lives where in the Motorhome freedom is the key, wether it's meeting up a few times a year with our Funster friends or exploring Scotland's beautiful landscape and having the ability to park up in beautiful places without another soul in site.
It's having the means to explore Morocco Italy Greece at your own pace in your own home.
It's even doing what we are doing at the moment for £7 a night. We just love it.
image.jpg

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I liked my caravan but i love my MH Fifi. :). Everything that has already been said is how I feel. I am new to MH, coming up to my 1 year anni. But i felt really sad when we had to leave her at the dealers last Saturday for the week :-(. I hope she is ok, that sounds very soppy i know.

We like the fact if we wanted to we never have to fly again, hate flying do it only when necessary. So being able to put all my bits and pieces in the lovely MH and go off is amazing. Off to Europe for the first time this summer excited and nervous. We love parking up and no matter what the weather sitting out with a drink.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I liked my caravan but i love my MH Fifi. :). Everything that has already been said is how I feel. I am new to MH, coming up to my 1 year anni. But i felt really sad when we had to leave her at the dealers last Saturday for the week :-(. I hope she is ok, that sounds very soppy i know.

We like the fact if we wanted to we never have to fly again, hate flying do it only when necessary. So being able to put all my bits and pieces in the lovely MH and go off is amazing. Off to Europe for the first time this summer excited and nervous. We love parking up and no matter what the weather sitting out with a drink.

Bet you start planning your return trip to France within weeks of coming back. It's fantastic over there. So Motor Home friendly. Not like the UK with it's 'no overnight' signs everywhere and height barriers on every car park. Empty motorways, a fiver a night maximum and an Aldi and Lidl in every town / village. Oh yeah and diesel at around a quid a litre. We're booking the chunnel this weekend for another 5 week trip there this July / August. Crawl down the South Brittany coastline. - the views are awesome and you can park at many aires that are literally over the road from huge empty beaches. The best we stayed at had free electricity, free water, each parking space had its own lawned are, there was an huge supermarket 1 mile down a lane, the views were across rolling countryside, the nearest house was about 2 miles away, it was spotless and the nightly charge? Free. It puts us to shame over here it really does. Honfleur is crowded but is a must visit. It will take about 200 motorhomes by the river and is a short walk into a fantastic town by the sea. Google it. The pictures alone will make you want to go - it really does look like that.

You can't gauge the size of the country from maps which are very misleading. You can easily spend 2 or 3 weeks driving through Normandy and Brittany stopping every 20 or 30 miles and you won't even get a third of the way down.

See you there.

PS - Don't bother with Bayeux - it's literally a city centre car park. We stayed for 3 hours and moved on.

Paul

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Being able to switch off.

Having been self employed for yonks, I find that when I am home, even though I used to set out to 'have a day off' I always ended up working.

get away in the motor home and .... relaaxxxxxxxxxxx !!!
I have to question how relaxed you were on your last trip back through France......;)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
It's about a life that's completely different than our work/home lives where in the Motorhome freedom is the key, wether it's meeting up a few times a year with our Funster friends or exploring Scotland's beautiful landscape and having the ability to park up in beautiful places without another soul in site.
It's having the means to explore Morocco Italy Greece at your own pace in your own home.
It's even doing what we are doing at the moment for £7 a night. We just love it. View attachment 59888
Cor, that's a bit civilised Carol. ;)
Was just thinking that we really ought to get ourselves some outside chairs and a table. Trouble is, after booking only our second trip out, I'm still hankering after daft things like a croquet set, and swingball! :LOL:

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We bought our motor home with the aim of nurturing our family bonds. A sort of 'those who play together, stay together'.
After 11 nights away (longest 24/7 break for a good while), we didn't kill each other, husband and I are still very happily married and my youngest cried when she reached her bedroom and realised she wouldn't be sleeping with her sisters that night. Awwww.
I'd say, so far, it's working. (y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Probably the quickest way to upset the neighbours is to set a swing ball up!! its almost as annoying as a Genny.

Banned on most caravan sites I think.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Cor, that's a bit civilised Carol. ;)
Was just thinking that we really ought to get ourselves some outside chairs and a table. Trouble is, after booking only our second trip out, I'm still hankering after daft things like a croquet set, and swingball! :LOL:

Sounds as if your doing ok, when your getting your bits and bobs , why not look in the charity shops lovely crystal glasses for next to nothing does not matter if they get broke (though we have only broke one) as well as lots of other bits and pieces.:Smile:

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
All of the above and also, seeing a spot and thinking what a great place to stop for a run (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Lightweight....We shall see when we meet up....whats
your tipple?
Embarrassing isn't it:blusher:.....:giggler:....but white wine or whiskey or G&T or wodka & tonic or southern comfort & lemonade or bacardi & something...you get the gist lol....I'm easily pleased:D....hope you're not going to lead me astray Sandra?:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back