What have you seen at NEC that was bad (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My own "what moron designed this?" comments are usually directed to whoever puts wall cupboards above single beds so you can't sit up and bang your head whenever you get in. Surely they can't ever spend a single night in their product? Or maybe all motorhome designers are 5 foot tall? Bed lengths are also sometimes laughably short. When Bailey brought out the 730 transverse island bed model I read that the bed was only 5'10" long, thus making the whole van unsuitable for 50% of the population. Why? They don't make the ceiling of the van only 5'10" high.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Am I the only one bored with "wood grain" finish. We chose the Titan silver grey furniture just for a change. How radical is that ?
Phil
I'm glad someone has broken cover on this one! I find shiny wood, especially the dark finishes very depressing. It must be like living in a sauna though clearly it is a very popular finish but it looks very old fashioned to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We are going to the show on Sunday, cant wait as its our second time and now we are a year into Motor-homing we have an idea on what we know and want to look for ..

I started a post a few weeks ago which related to the "same old" layouts with the majority of manufacturers, and the impractical use of space, especially an oven at head height above the fridge units ?????? :eek:

We are really keen to see the new Autotrail models, as agreeing with some earlier post(s) we are big fans of AT's, they suit our layout requirements especially with 2 young kids, however I am also slightly scared of posts Ive read recently with AT's from 2010 to present (of which we purchased this year :sick:), our 2006 Apache was in great shape, but our 2010 Arapaho, I am starting to uncover some things I dont like the look of and trying to understand how good/bad a purchase I have made :sick::sick::sick::sick:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Since we bought our chausson in 2014 it's been perfect, no problems with lowering the bed at night and up again in the morning, so far!!!
BUT.... to this day despite all our contortions we have not been able to find the hole to put the gizmo in to manually lower the bed.:mad:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Just had a thought if anyone comes across a chausson flash 616 at the show can you ask to see how you manually lower the bed please and don't take their word for it, we did, we should have had a demo:ROFLMAO:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Am I the only one bored with "wood grain" finish. We chose the Titan silver grey furniture just for a change. How radical is that ?
Phil

same here, same van as yours by the look of it!, be nice to know how youre getting on with it as we get ours april!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
same here, same van as yours by the look of it!, be nice to know how youre getting on with it as we get ours april!
We think its great. It ticks all our boxes and is a great tourer. Good on fuel,easy to drive, and well made.
Hope you enjoy yours.
Phil

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
. to this day despite all our contortions we have not been able to find the hole to put the gizmo in to manually lower the bed.
Find the motor... there will be a fitting on that to take an Allen key handle.. you may have to push some wiring aside to spot it
Think they are located either center of bed behind the light cover or on left side of the bed behind a humped profile.
Andy.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not a recent picture I admit, but I once spotted this dodgy-looking pair at The NEC:

Broken Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

In our shower the wall with the sink and mirror hinges round and completely covers the toilet and sink so only the shower area is wet.

Good luck with the new van (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

If you're not finally committed on the 584 find a b544 and take another look as even our last 544 a 2003 model had the same hinged sink/shower wall arrangement as our new one, last years model.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We think its great. It ticks all our boxes and is a great tourer. Good on fuel,easy to drive, and well made.
Hope you enjoy yours.
Phil

hi Phil, cheers for the reply, i hope we do too, only snag maybe the 'woolster' as he's nrly 50 kg, and 5ft when stood up on back feet:eek:, so he's gotts find his place in the van too!, is yours a 600 sp twin, or 640?, looks like your hab door and awning on other side to ours?, is it rhd? sorry for the q's!

si jayne and saul (aka 'the woolster')

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Signs on the doors of frankia's and hymers saying view by appointment or assisted viewing only
Really wanted to look at the hymers but I'm not waiting for a viewing appointment :cautious:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Signs on the doors of frankia's and hymers saying view by appointment or assisted viewing only
Really wanted to look at the hymers but I'm not waiting for a viewing appointment :cautious:

Really? :confused:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
hi Phil, cheers for the reply, i hope we do too, only snag maybe the 'woolster' as he's nrly 50 kg, and 5ft when stood up on back feet:eek:, so he's gotts find his place in the van too!, is yours a 600 sp twin, or 640?, looks like your hab door and awning on other side to ours?, is it rhd? sorry for the q's!

si jayne and saul (aka 'the woolster')
Twin 640 slx RHD. Sliding door offside.
Extras include fullsize awning over sliding door, drivers pack, cruise etc, solar panel, LED lighting pack.
Great machine.
Phil

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
What have I seen at the NEC that was bad ?

Well, on my first visit a few years ago, my wife and I arrived a bit early and were sitting having a coffee close to one of the hall entrances, watching the world go by, when I spotted a striking, long blonde haired lady in the distance, wearing a short denim skirt and tight top.

As she got closer, something wasn't quite right about her walk and it occurred to me that this may not be a lady, which I asked my wife to confirm with a discreet look.

Undecided at that point, but soon confirmed after the lady passed us and dropped something. As she stooped to retrieve it from the floor, there was no ladylike movement of both legs to one side, but a straight on manly bend over, with ball sack barely retained in white underpants :Eeek:

I'm not knocking it, for those of that persuasion, just a bit taken aback is all :whistle:

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
One of the positive points of buying a base panel van and having it converted was that we were able to incorporate our ideas into the design, meaning we have an interior that works for us.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hmm what did we see that was bad

Hoards of salesmen waiting to pounce on some stalls
Salesmen too engrossed in conversations with colleagues to spot potential customers
Rip off coffee prices

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Since we bought our chausson in 2014 it's been perfect, no problems with lowering the bed at night and up again in the morning, so far!!!
BUT.... to this day despite all our contortions we have not been able to find the hole to put the gizmo in to manually lower the bed.:mad:

It'll be the same as on our Flash 10. Look under the bed, see the rounded lump near the kitchen units ? Feel up the side of the bed between the bed and the wall above the lump and you should find a hole to put the manual winder in. Tho it would be the Devils own job to wind the bed up from the down position manually !!!!

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
So looking at the Lakia what do you get without the 10k Dolce Vita Pack , a Steering wheel and four orange boxes?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
People...too many people, especially those who block the aisles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back