What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (5 Viewers)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well finally got round to fighting our gas low system have reached a new higher tich le-vile of bogging to every thing gets put in place with chemical metal that will fix it a wee dab of chemical metal fixed the window winder the wardrobe doored the gaslow plastic insert firmly in place in the wrongly cut hole the wing mirror firmly secure
just cant at this moment think of anything to stick down with it but sure i will find something :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: we need a fix it smiley for all us boggers out there::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Absolutely nothing fixed. A bit boring this van, nothing ever goes wrong with it :Doh:.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
De calcified my boiler (white spirit vinegar) as per recommendations.

When I put everything back I drained the water, only to find that the gauge reads 50% even though the tank is empty. Couldn't be bothered to take things apart again so that will have to wait till next time.

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Daylight running lights

Fitted daylight running lights to the Hymer, ( got them off the tinternet) wasn't happy with the quality of them so had a wee run down to Halfords ang got a better pair and put them on, much better.

Right pain to fit, wiring turned out to be more complex than originally thought!

Old adage of buy cheap buy twice lol :Doh:

JJG

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Fixed 5th gear ::bigsmile:

Also fitted a battery tap which is so simple yet genius, I recommend everyone to fit one. No more faffing around disconnecting the battery when leaving the MH in storage, just unscrew the tap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or fit a battery isolator key as used in motorsports. less hassle getting to the battery and highly secure. you can also fit a low current bypass wire to keep the alarm alive and radio coded:thumb:

Link Removed

100A continuous 500A for 5 seconds to start engine. dont try using a lower current switch or it will burn out quickly

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Took the van for it's first service and Fiat recall, then up to the DVLA office to put my Reg off retention on to the van, best service ever walked in no queue first young lady filled the papers in then over to the window for the new tax disc in and out in 4 minutes, and they are going to shut these offices and rely on Swansea what a shame. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yes, a real shame they are closing. Lots of jobs lost and the government promised that unemployment would drop!
I visited our local office a few weeks ago to change the tax class on my van from PLG to PHGV. Short wait and a very helpful and efficient lady dealt with it. A few minutes later I had a new tax disc, promise of a refund and a temp V5
Then it all went wrong as Swansea had to complete the changeover
First up, I got two refund cheques. Delivered the same day and numbered sequentially.
Next, the new V5 came with the wrong details on it. Right tax class, wrong max weight shown
Now, if the local office had done this it could have been sorted in a few minutes. I've deposited one of the cheques and have been waiting almost 5 weeks for the new new V5 to come
I don't envy anybody having to deal wholly with Swansea.
Allan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Yes, a real shame they are closing. Lots of jobs lost and the government promised that unemployment would drop!
I visited our local office a few weeks ago to change the tax class on my van from PLG to PHGV. Short wait and a very helpful and efficient lady dealt with it. A few minutes later I had a new tax disc, promise of a refund and a temp V5
Then it all went wrong as Swansea had to complete the changeover
First up, I got two refund cheques. Delivered the same day and numbered sequentially.
Next, the new V5 came with the wrong details on it. Right tax class, wrong max weight shown
Now, if the local office had done this it could have been sorted in a few minutes. I've deposited one of the cheques and have been waiting almost 5 weeks for the new new V5 to come
I don't envy anybody having to deal wholly with Swansea.
Allan

progress NOT Left n Right hands not knowing.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Watt you fixed on the motorhome this week

Hi all,Interesting story of no lights and no water pump,this is in a field with no leccy,checked fuses etc nothing,called a mobile engineer and rang the supplier,engineer said i think its the control panel,supplier said control panel,my son who is quite handy looked at it with a tester and said no earth so with a small bit of leccy wire and two plastic connectors all up and running,so if you have telly and fridge on battery but no lights or pump a small tester with a small bit of 12 volt wire and connectors,what a usefull thing to carry in the tool kit,and cost very little.regards H.:winky:

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Having had limited success with a portable satellite dish finally bit the bullet and fitted an Oyster 85 dish to the roof. Works fine on the drive, using the box from the portable rig. We'll see what it's like in France later this week. Should anyone need similar electronic accessories - alarms etc. I can recommend Nick Stevens at Adventure Motorhomes of Highbridge - www.autosat.co.uk.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Having had limited success with a portable satellite dish finally bit the bullet and fitted an Oyster 85 dish to the roof. Works fine on the drive, using the box from the portable rig. We'll see what it's like in France later this week. Should anyone need similar electronic accessories - alarms etc. I can recommend Nick Stevens at Adventure Motorhomes of Highbridge - www.autosat.co.uk.

best watch as unsolicited advertising on this sit is not allowed may be wrong just check with jim :thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Does a recommendation from a satisfied customer count as advertising??:Sad:
i don't know but i have seen comments on her ware satisfied customers have posted links and comments have been made like i sad i don't know but if it is not ok sumone will let you know no offence meant bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well have now started to get every thing ready for a engine transplant the operation is due to begin next Saturday parts permitting so not fixed yet but preparation on going

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Monday morning two Motorhome/Caravan fitters called to do the Hab check , all ok, did one or two little bits for me, took about two hours £120.00 inc VAT, Fiat service last week so ok for an other year (hopefully) :winky: Pete :thumb::thumb:

Ps anyone wanting their number let me know.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We fitted a length of awning rail to the side of our van yesterday.
We are now looking for a Kampa Motor Rally 390 XL awning, they appear to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment though.

Brisey.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
head done

well finally after a fare bit of work it's back together cylinder head that is
it's had fore new valves valve guides valve sets re cut fore new cups shimmed up the tapits
injectors tested that's the top end::bigsmile:
bottom end
bores re honed
pistons re ringd
con rods inspected
new bearings fitted big ends little
crank shaft inspected new seals on every thing put back together
turns over nice smooth but a bit tight owing to new rings
fit head tomorrow as her indoors thinks i am having a afar in the garage with an engine
she has only seen my hand as she passes food through the door for the last week:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Nothing is more satisfying than the first start of an engine you have rebuilt yourself. I just love to savour that blue smoke as it clears its throat.

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Redid the earthing between gearbox and body, which should, I hope, be the end of our charging problems.

Fitted a curtain rail behind the driver's seats onto which we hung some nice heavy curtains (made by my other half) to quieten the noise when driving. Seems to work pretty well.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Nothing is more satisfying than the first start of an engine you have rebuilt yourself. I just love to savour that blue smoke as it clears its throat.

Very true. 40 years since I last did a full rebuild & I still remember the mixture of pleasure & relief.

Better yet was the look of surprise on my Dad's face when I did one at home & it struck up first time. He wasn't an easy man to impress! He didn't know what I'd been learning while I was away in a different part of the country.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Had to change one of these. Only problem price in France €5.50 plus p&p. Sourced from UK price 69 pence!!!! Don't know how Dometic can justify the difference in price between France and UK.
Both prices were sourced using the Dometic web site.:Eeek:

Some say rip off Britain.....think again.

Attachments

• Dometic.jpg
    Dometic.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 105

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
New wheel arch to replace the one I cracked trying to get to Bovisand CC site:Angry:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Oh and a new washbasin to replace the one my wife buggered up cleaning it with some sort of solvent :Eeek:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well I would not call it fixed but the cylinder head gasket went on the way back from salt fleet gale
So I followed Wildman’s advice and put sum kseel well blow me apart from all the rusty water stains under the bonnet you wouldn’t think it had happened watt the hell is that stuff probably gummed up the work’s but seem to have worked Frome stemming traction engine to purring petrol will give it would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it my shelf a good run today to try it out on to eBay

Bill this might come a little late for you but not for others who might think of using K Seal. However it will prepare you for what happens next.

"I bought this because my Rover 400 had Head Gasket problems. According to the K-Seal website, it is a fantastic product. I didn't really believe it, but thought that it would be worth a try. Since you pay only a small amount for this 'mechanic in a bottle' compared to buying all the replacement parts. I hoped that it would allow me to use the car for a few more miles before addressing the underlying problem.

Well.... I was wrong! It did not work at all. This wasn't my main problem. When I was replacing the HG myself, it took me a LOT of time to clean out the cooling system! K-Seal was blocking small hoses, radiator, and there was some in the thermostat (it wasn't oil mixed with coolant; it was K-Seal.. exactly the same consistency as it came out of the bottle). In other words, it did not only NOT work; it also resulted in a lot of extra work!

Summary: do not buy this, unless you want to have spent a Saturday cleaning out your coolant system. "

This is a real review copied from an Amazon's customer review.

You have proved in your case it solved your problem but it seems when the time come to replace the gasket you might have a lot of cleaning to do.

Norman

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill this might come a little late for you but not for others who might think of using K Seal. However it will prepare you for what happens next.

"I bought this because my Rover 400 had Head Gasket problems. According to the K-Seal website, it is a fantastic product. I didn't really believe it, but thought that it would be worth a try. Since you pay only a small amount for this 'mechanic in a bottle' compared to buying all the replacement parts. I hoped that it would allow me to use the car for a few more miles before addressing the underlying problem.

Well.... I was wrong! It did not work at all. This wasn't my main problem. When I was replacing the HG myself, it took me a LOT of time to clean out the cooling system! K-Seal was blocking small hoses, radiator, and there was some in the thermostat (it wasn't oil mixed with coolant; it was K-Seal.. exactly the same consistency as it came out of the bottle). In other words, it did not only NOT work; it also resulted in a lot of extra work!

Summary: do not buy this, unless you want to have spent a Saturday cleaning out your coolant system. "

This is a real review copied from an Amazon's customer review.

You have proved in your case it solved your problem but it seems when the time come to replace the gasket you might have a lot of cleaning to do.

Norman

thanks norman i no longer have that van had to Chang the gasket in the end had very lital problems in that regard the van sold and is ruining well i am currently replacing the engine in my new to us van complete re build there wont be any ksel in this one and i am unlikly to use it agane i did have sum cleaning out but wasent that bad thanks for posting bill:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back