What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (10 Viewers)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Update on my previous post where I fixed ( pulled off the door) the bathroom towel ring holder, I have now fixed it back onto the door
I was surprised at the unbelievably poor assembly by Auto Sleeper on my new van. They had fixed the towel ring bracket to the door by screwing it straight into the hardboard panel without any wood or anything behind it. Consequently, the screws just pulled out of the door!
I had to open the original screw holes out and insert two spring toggles and screw the bracket back onto the door.
This is a premium British product!
Luckily, they seem to have assembled the rest if it ok.....
Allan

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Update on my previous post where I fixed ( pulled off the door) the bathroom towel ring holder, I have now fixed it back onto the door
I was surprised at the unbelievably poor assembly by Auto Sleeper on my new van. They had fixed the towel ring bracket to the door by screwing it straight into the hardboard panel without any wood or anything behind it. Consequently, the screws just pulled out of the door!
I had to open the original screw holes out and insert two spring toggles and screw the bracket back onto the door.
This is a premium British product!
Luckily, they seem to have assembled the rest if it ok.....
Allan
that is a good solution well dune:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Been beavering away sorting out the cylinder head on the old van got one given to me by a friend had it skimmed and gave it a bit of an over hall striped the old one off put the new one on and new cam belt just got all the bit's and boobs back on filed with coolant re shimming the tappets was fun knuckles bleeding just air filter to go on tomorrow then give her a turn over :thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Had to fix the hab door last week in the rain in France because it refused to shut after a trip to the supermarche. The handle went floppy!
Seems if both of you try to open the food at the same time from either side, the mechanism collapses inside.
You would think Hartal would have thought of that!
Allan

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
thinking of having a fix it swap shop meet where you come along and help each other with problems especially get some of the shelf builders involved bring along your motorhome crap you don’t use and swap it for more crap or sell it
:thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Fixed the cupboard as it had run out of whiskey, it's now a happy cupboard.:thumb:

Will fix the fridge when driving down to Shepton Mallet as it's running low on lager.:thumb:

Love fixing things:ROFLMAO:

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
The strap which holds the small water tank (which is upright and hence wants to fall over on bends) tore away from the wall - so replaced the poncy screw with a more substantial bolt through the wall.

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
daft

Decided to wire the tow bar electrics, as some may know i'm in a wheelchair. so I got to the back of the motorhome and some stupid idea in my mind thought, I can just drop to the floor ,do the job and pull myself up on the bike rack back into my chair... :thumb: all went well I got on the floor and watched my chair roll down my sloping drive!! What a twat! :Doh: 2 hour's later wife comes home....she's still laughing at me.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
5th Gear went caput last night on the A1, finally got Home this aft after the obligatory backwards & forwards phone calls to the Breakdown service. Seems they want your premiums but don't want to honour their own schedule when it doesn't suit. Anyway Van's at the Garage & I'm hoping the damage is confined to one gear only.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Been beavering away sorting out the cylinder head on the old van got one given to me by a friend had it skimmed and gave it a bit of an over hall striped the old one off put the new one on and new cam belt just got all the bit's and boobs back on filed with coolant re shimming the tappets was fun knuckles bleeding just air filter to go on tomorrow then give her a turn over :thumb:
could not weight went back out fitted the battery and turnd and turnd the key noting
i looked definitely getting petrol so went in to the van to have a sigy siting there watt the! rotter arm watt’s that doing there must have taken it:Doh: out any way put it in turn the key running good happy bit of smoke for first five min ok now:thumb: end to a verry good day sel it now

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Seen this button thing at the top of the page rate this thread thought mmmmmmmm lets have a look :swear: it does work on your own thread then franticly looking for sum way of retracting it nope cant
:swear::Doh:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987

Where can one buy a van with these extras?
Allan

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Fitted new wheel bearings to the Hymer

Well actually, I didn't, my son Richard did while I was offshore. :thumb
It had been whining (The wheel bearing, not Mrs G!!) :ROFLMAO: for a while so I decided to bite the bullet cost wise and change them both, thinking that if one was on the way out, I might as well do both while we were at it("Royal We of course").
It turned out to be a bit of a nightmare as Rich broke a couple of presses trying to get the outer race out of the hub on one side, ended up going to the local Scania dealership to use their press to get it out, def not a job for the faint hearted.:Eeek:
My baby is running so quietly now, can even hear " the better? Half talking to me,lol,Thanks Richard!!:thumb:

Stay safe

JG

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Stuck back on some edging on the washroom worktop!::bigsmile:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I lost the top hat off one of the flues so I replaced it:Smile: , now that's gone:Angry: I will make sure the next one never comes off again, screws and silicon should do it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Headlamp aim was a bit iffy and the gap between the front edge of the bonnet and front panel was a bit odd. Undid the screws on top of the front panel, pushed down and there was a click. Perfect gap now
Took the headlamp out and noticed there is a peg at the top that fits in a rubber mount, but it wasn't actually in the mount. Pushed it back in and hey presto, lamp fits perfectly again
Bonnet side gaps were uneven too, so undid the bonnet brackets and front lock, realigned and bolted up. Looks much better.

Now, I might have to admit, this was probably all my fault.
First trip out, I tried to level the van by driving onto a couple if breeze blocks. The wheels slipped on the blocks and there was a bang. No damage seen, but it looks like the blocks jumped up and hit the underside of the front panel. I am guessing this knocked the panels out of alignment and the headlamp jumped out of the bracket. The headlamp fixing bolts were loose either before (more likely) or after my little mishap.
Anyway, it's all sorted now
Allan

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We put the MH in to a repair centre and we now have it back with the reversing camera fixed (new fuses) and the fridge working on 12v again (something corroded?). Let's see what I can bugger up next!! :winky:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just opened the wardrobe in the van to find everything on the bottom of it!! The pole has pulled thought the very flimsy support...ah well off to B and Q later then.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Just opened the wardrobe in the van to find everything on the bottom of it!! The pole has pulled thought the very flimsy support...ah well off to B and Q later then.

where you can spend an hour thinking how you can modify what they have to what you actually need!
Allan

crimbo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
Four new continental vanco camper tyres fitted last week, a milenco habitation security door lock and a steering wheel lock this week and booked in for full cambelt kit and water pump for the end of the month =£966

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Just moved one of the over head lights on our Laika ecovip, very bad design fault ment that you hit your head on it, so moved it about 8" towards the corner, prefect. :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Don't ask, as type I am sat in the Fiat main agents in Le-Mans having warranty work done on injector system or roughly translated as such. Coming down from Mailleraie the engine management light came on and went into limp mode

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't ask, as type I am sat in the Fiat main agents in Le-Mans having warranty work done on injector system or roughly translated as such. Coming down from Mailleraie the engine management light came on and went into limp mode
Thanks’ for posting hope you get it fixed and the dealer isn’t to hard on you:Sad: hope it doesn’t spoil the holiday to much let us know what it was
:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Fixed the heating system. Two adjacent drawers had been swapped so the longer one would smack into the ducting and the wiring, severing several wires. Swapped the drawers back, reattached the ducting and reconnected the wires and I now have heating ready for winter.

Very effective it is too. After three minutes, I was sweating profusely. I hope it carries on working. They apparently stopped making spare parts for it 20 years ago. Whilst a universal thermocouple would probably work if required, I doubt I'd find a replacement gas valve...

fixiebob

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
North of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fixed

Fixed my toilet it wouldn't flush, narrowed it down to pump it was seized, I took it out freed it with a bit of brute force WD40 put it back Voila flushing again :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Took the van back to the dealer for them to fix the non functioning waste tank sensors.
They dropped the tank and showed me all the grunge inside. Apparently, this muck sticks to the sensors and gives false readings.
This is on a 3 month old van!
It's working fine now, but, I don't expect it will do so for long.

So, what did I fix today? One of the seat base buttons had pulled through the material underneath. I fished it out and put a plastic washer under it. Looks like there are a few more that will pull out soon so I will try and source some proper washers
Why don't they fit something like that from new?
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back