What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Put a 60A circuit breaker in the wiring between solar regulator and batteries. I realised that if a short circuit occurred in this wiring, the only fuse 'protecting' it was the 300A fuse of the battery output. The wiring is very substantial but not that substantial. The maximum normal current in good sunlight in that circuit is 30A so I shouldn't get any nuisance operation of the circuit breaker, but it will protect the wiring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
IMG_1770.JPG
More tinkering.......

Can see into the wardrobe now at night.

The more I do to the van , confirms to me even more that the Concorde is built like a proverbial brick s@@t house.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just read the last two pages of this thread .....and it's scared the eebyjeebies out of me! What clever people you all are .. I couldn't do ANY of that! It really worries me that I have bitten off more than I can chew with my mh at times. :(

You are amazing.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
A free wife and child free afternoon results in this....

IMG_1800.JPG

A nice oil change and service first I have done on this van. Oils and filters all changed just brakes etc to check. Deeply dislike that stupid plastic fuel filter even with the special tool.

Downsides found a bit of rust under battery tray on wheel arch seam
And bulkhead, will return to that but have sprayed over with some bilt hambler to stop it getting worse also the remnants of a mouse nest under there as well

IMG_1801.JPG

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After the debacle of the Peterborough show and having to replace among other things the TV, I tried to source a bracket for the telly.
Nope.. It seems to be a special that only Avtex make.. Much MUCH bigger than normal ones.
Well Avtex aint the only ones to make a suitable bracket now..
Got busy with a spare bit of ally plate and made my own !

tv brack1.jpg
tv brack2.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Fitted thermostat to the fan on the back of the fridge. Set to go on at 30c and off at 28c. I'll see how it goes and adjust if necessary. Also remounted the fan which was wobbly. I've kept the pre-existing manual switch so I can turn it off if it becomes a nuisance at night. It is a 5" brushless dc fan and reasonably quiet.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Finally replaced the perspex lamp surround over the drop down spare bed with a decent polycarbonate one (laser cut thanks to really nice guys at Inplas in Uxbridge who did it as a favour and deserve a plug) and sorted out the dreadful seatbelt catch effort that holds the drop down in place whilst travelling, plus stripped down the CPU for the rear parking sensors and found the dry joint that was making it intermittent

Carpet clean tomorrow, then all ready for the hab check

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Fixed the spluttering taps which got really bad at Peterborough. Turned out the filter on the inlet side of the pump was almost totally covered up with a black grunge. No idea what it was but the taps now work at full flow.

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Fixed the spluttering taps which got really bad at Peterborough. Turned out the filter on the inlet side of the pump was almost totally covered up with a black grunge. No idea what it was but the taps now work at full flow.
Our taps also have filters at the outlet. Unscrewed them a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the amount of muck in them.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
They look great, I need to do this to my van - was it a kit and was it easy?
Hi, no it wasn't a kit but kits are available and simple enough to install.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
DRL's are indeed required to switch off when headlamps are switched on. DRL's are not covered in the current MOT testers manual so can not be part of an MOT test and therefore the incorrect operation of these will not cause an MOT failure.
Due the the brightness of DRL's so they can be seen in daylight they may cause unnecessary dazzle or discomfort to other road users at night which gives the police the authority to prosecute for the offence.
I retro fitted DRL's to our 2004 Ducato camper and fitted a little box of tricks that senses voltage to the headlamps when they are switched on and turns the DRL's off.
DRL's should also be switched on and off by sensing when the engine is running and this is normally done by sensing an output voltage from the alternator.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Is that your headlight on at the same time as the DRL's, I thought the DRL's had to go off when headlights are on.

DRL's are indeed required to switch off when headlamps are switched on. DRL's are not covered in the current MOT testers manual so can not be part of an MOT test and therefore the incorrect operation of these will not cause an MOT failure.
Due the the brightness of DRL's so they can be seen in daylight they may cause unnecessary dazzle or discomfort to other road users at night which gives the police the authority to prosecute for the offence.
I retro fitted DRL's to our 2004 Ducato camper and fitted a little box of tricks that senses voltage to the headlamps when they are switched on and turns the DRL's off.
DRL's should also be switched on and off by sensing when the engine is running and this is normally done by sensing an output voltage from the alternator.

Hi, this was just to test the lights, I fitted the control box to the headlight wire afterwards and they do, as you say, go out when the head lights come on. Also they do only work when the engine is actually running as they are fed directly from a fuse in an ACC slot in the fuse box which is only live when the engine is running.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Why would you go to all the trouble of adding DRLs to a vehicle that doesn't need them? They don't serve any useful purpose, they're just something that the EU imposed on us without any reason or justification. It's bad enough that we have them fitted on newer motorhomes but at least they can be switched off.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Why would you go to all the trouble of adding DRLs to a vehicle that doesn't need them? They don't serve any useful purpose, they're just something that the EU imposed on us without any reason or justification. It's bad enough that we have them fitted on newer motorhomes but at least they can be switched off.
You're obviously entitled to your opinion but my own is that it increases visiblity/presence in all weather but particularly in bright weather.
Studies quoted by the RAC show a decrease in accidents in the USA of 7% in vehicles with DRL's fitted and studies in Europe quote up to 15% reduction in same.
Anything that reduces, even slightly, the possibility of having an accident has to be a good thing, but as I said you're entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
IMG_1833.JPG
And the finished rears
The fronts to go ...

all the dirt in the arches is stuck to the waxoyl that the dealer covered the wheel arches with when I asked them to rust proof it .... I hose them out every time I wash it !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
View attachment 161436 View attachment 161435 Tidy up of brakes so they look better with the alloys ....

You can come and do mine! I will be changing brake pads in a couple of days.
Anyway, I fixed our hab step yesterday. It was getting a bit bouncy and a quick look underneath showed the ally and wood supports were broken. I removed the ally and wood, made up a new wooden ( ash, if it's good enough for a Morgan chassis.....) support and fitted it back together. Solid as a rock now and should outlast the van.
Then, took off the spare wheel and carrier, cleaned and painted them both, they were getting a bit rusty after sitting under the van with little protection for 20 years.
All back together now, just an oil and filter change to do later today, then off to the south Brittany coast for a few days.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Couple more little jobs... with a spare five minutes today.

Non slip tape on the ladder to the top box

And plastic press studs on the shower curtain to keep them in place.

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

Looking at your avatar, wonder if you ride the bike without lights

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Today has been the day of the reversing sensors. I have dual cameras etc, but I like the audible warning, and the existing system appears to have become intermittent

Ebay, £13 lighter, and an almost identical system has now replaced the original. Thank goodness for those “wago” connectors, job that I thought was going to be difficult became a complete doddle

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Plastic slider on the side-facing seat that makes up the "spare"bed - which is never used so how the hell did it break? Of course you can't buy just one, you have to have the two - £28 for 2 bits of plastic! I suppose I was lucky I could still get them - thanks Brownhills.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back