what have the French done to Mont St Michael !

Discussion in 'France' started by campa cola, Jun 17, 2014.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

well they have partly demolished the centuries old ancient causeway to it, and replaced it with a huge ugly carbuncle of a badly designed and executed motorway flyover in the name of GREENWASH :Doh: Supposedly this new flyover is to allow the water to circulate around the mont, but in reality it is a new larger conveyor belt to allow many more tourists quickly to be shepherded into the shops of tat and overpriced restaurants.

Sorry if you missed the Mont with the old causeway, now it a muddy mess of a building site with a shitpile of metal being built to it.........bloody French :Doh:

2. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi
    That sounds terrible! Luckily we saw the Mont in all it's splendour a few years ago from the outside. We could not believe how utterly tacky the shops inside were since up to that time we had thought that the French had good taste . Did you take a photo of the new carbuncle ?

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I was there 50 years ago and well remember the tat and then the beauty of the Great Halls, Abbey and Monastery. It was like ascending through purgatory to heavenly splendour.

• Like Like x 2
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

Must admit it does look a tad over engineered for requirement.:Smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    The causeway is a fairly recent development that massively altered the natural movement of the sea around what was an island.

"But in the years since then, the sea has dumped tons of silt around the island, slowly attaching it to the land. The main culprit appears to be a solid causeway, built in 1879, that linked the monastery to the mainland but disrupted the movement of the waters. The problem was worsened in 1969, when the government built a dam on the Couesnon River to protect farmlands from high tide, but one result was to further reduce the power of the river to push the silt back into the sea."

Best seen from a distance in my opinion,' tourist trap' springs to mind but the guided walks across the estuary are worth doing if a bit hard on the feet. Rippled sand is surprisingly painful to bare feet after a while. :Smile:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last visit was in 2006 .. It's more tacky than superglue.. best seen at night from afar..

A comment from Frankie's link ..

who couldn't agree with that.. ?

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Enjoyed my one and only visit 5/6 years ago:thumb:
    I think the French have taken advantage of an attraction and the "Tat" is a slightly better quality than we sell at our tourists traps

Geo

• Like Like x 1
  9. campa cola

campa cola Funster

yes amazing how it managed to stand without combusting for centuries.....then along comes mass tourism from Asia and everything is different.

I could not take a picture of the mont at sea level, it was sickening to see the destruction and the carbuncle at that level.

Now in every picture from the front of the Mont there will be an ugly flyover in the way.

10. scotjimland

One I made earlier.. how it was.. 2006

[​IMG]

11. JJ

JJ Funster

What it really needs is a couple of wind turbines...

They would look great in the background.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Best seen from a distance and at night in my opinion, and possibly the most disappointing tourist destination in France. Maybe some medieval decree rules that French style and culture must end at the high tide line in that part of Normandy? Great if you like crowds, plastic knights and wooden swords, but frankly I've been in theme parks with more taste than the Mont St Michel. As for that strip of motels and diners that precedes the causeway, I thought we'd been magically teleported to Florida. Ghastly.

Sad to say, Carcassonne is beginning to head down that route too, but still has some way to go. Hopefully someone will see sense there and shout 'Pas Encore!'.

13. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Mont St Michel

A quick search of "mont st michel" and "mayor" might offer a explanation as to what has happened to this French monument. :Eeek::Eeek:

14. Yorick

Yorick Funster

The mayor of the famous French landmark Mont-Saint-Michel has been hit with a €30,000 fine for using his position of power to make sure bus services shuttling the 2.5 million annual visitors to the site left from outside his businesses.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130227/mont-st-michel-mayor-fined-30000-over-bus-route

15. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I was going to visit it 2 years ago , got as far as the huge new car parks being built and decided ,i knew what i was going to be faced with when i got there , so i turned around and camped nearby.

Shame a popular place always ends up a crowded tat center.

16. campa cola

campa cola Funster

well you can bet your sweet bippy that fugly new bridge has somebodies dirty fingers on it. My advice at present is not to bother visiting MSM as its a building site at the front - as has been said best seen from a distance and you can photochop the motorway flyover out of photos easier......:Doh:

roadworks at the front
    [​IMG]

incongruous shitpile of a flyover -these pictures are designed to make it look good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  17. webby1

webby1 Funster

Mont St Michel

Some people just can't let it go ?????

" along comes mass tourism from Asia and everything is different"

Do they all come in those cars and motorhomes you can see everywhere.

I guess the place is full of Romanian pickpockets as well

18. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Well it's not that pretty at the moment but then it is a "work in progress". It looks quite elegant to me and if it lets the tides circulate and helps to restore the "island" status of MSM then that seems like a good thing to me.

19. campa cola

campa cola Funster

the place was full of Asians when I went :Eeek:

20. scotjimland

on day trips from England .. :Wink: