What has the Fun Forum done for us?..... (1 Viewer)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Well, quite a lot actually! We're relative newbies having bought our first MH in March this year (I came onto the forum to say hi back in March and now we're fully paid up members). Since then I've been reading the Forum pretty much every day, and thanks to your advice and recommendations have learnt so much useful stuff ready for our big adventure this winter, eg, had a Gaslow twin system fitted with adaptors for use in Europe (thanks Kendal Camping), hab check done (nil damp, phew) been to a weighbridge fully loaded (even though we were going by the V5 stated gross weight as we can't find the plate lol), downloaded the campercontact app, got rid of the "loo blue" and now use washing liquid instead (couldn't abide the smell of the blue stuff), used cheap cola to freshen up the waste tank.....and loads of other very very useful info. Thank you.
So, the plan is we both finish up with our jobs in a couple of weeks time, then we fly off to Goa for 3 weeks to chill out and recover from the stress of moving out of our house etc, come back early December, collect MH (its in storage) and dog and off we go. Chunnel booked using Tesco vouchers (again, thanks to your tip), we're planning to use the MMH route as an outline plan for travel down to South of Spain, returning end Feb. Haven't booked any sites except one for Xmas and New Year - Deb was worried about there not being room at the inn on Xmas Eve so I gave in and agreed to book one site.
Our house is going to be looked after by family who are "between homes" at the moment, they're moving in as we leave, so we still have our UK address.
We want and need to find work next year as site wardens or assistant wardens...i'm told it's a difficult area to break into without previous experience (although we've both worked for many years in public/customer service roles). We just need to be given that first opportunity so keep your fingers crossed for us.
We are more than a little apprehensive, this is a big lifestyle change for us and we've never not used campsites (if that makes sense), never driven in Spain, never been on a trip for longer than 2 weeks, to say nothing of no longer having salaries to rely on.....eeeek!!! We would prefer to travel and see lots of places, don't want to stay on campsites for weeks at a time over the winter, but will we be able to find places to stay in Spain/Portugal without using campsites all the time? Reading some of the threads saying how busy it is now in the winter I have visions of huge convoys of MHs all trying to squeeze into parking spaces as night draws on, people getting out and having arguments and worse.....please please tell me it wont be like that!! I'm probably thinking of a busy Aldi car park on a Saturday afternoon here where car park altercations are fairly commonplace unfortunately!
Finally, please can we have a Fun sticker? It would be wonderful to see other Funsters on our travels and we would love to have the chance to meet some of you over the winter. If you see me approaching with a clipboard, don't run off, I'm not doing a survey, I've got a list of (MH related) questions that you might be able to help with!!
We're so excited to start our adventure and now, posting this, it really feels like the adventure has actually started. Have a good day all !!

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks rb62

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Wow, you two have really gone for it! Good for you (y)
Sounds like you are going to have a ball. Keep us updated on your travels....:)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
And all that info for £15. Fun wins again. Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you, no doubt there'll be a few blips along the way but hopefully nothing you won't take in your stride. Have a great time.

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Rosierose, we really have gone for it, and it is thanks to this Forum (and the 365 fulltimer Forum), it made us bring forward our "one day" plans and just do it! :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a great post, all positive have a great time, now you have started carry on with your posts I'm sure you will have lots to share.

PS. I have sent you a message in your inbox at the top.

Carol.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello Two girls .. well done .. were you at the Malvern caravan show ? There two great girls there too if it wasn't you ... it is brilliant to read success stories and I look forward to reading your adventures.

We have a ladies group called FLORA @Cal54 .. which you might one day like to join ..

:)

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Hiya movan, no we weren't but I'm often being told I have a double so it was probably her...hope she didn't disgrace herself lol. Yes we'd be very interested in joining the women's group, is there a website or is that the email address (apols for my ignorance).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No .. we just do it via here .. when @Cal54 sees my post above I think she will add you both and send a message telling you about it .. good banter. X

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

We have a ladies group called FLORA @Cal54 ..

:)
Aaah so thats what it is. LOL Someone had mentioned it to me but I hadn't a clue what they were on about. Thought it was some baking group somewhere.:eek:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've got a list of (MH related) questions that you might be able to help with!!
Start a new thread for your Qs or do a search in the top right box for answers to your Qs. :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What a fabulous Post you @Twogirls , can't end any other way than 'why didn't we do this earlier.

sad that you won't be joining us down in the New Forest but we will get over it. I wish you all the very best of luck in your travels....... Thanks for the great reading, please allow us an update every so-often.

Griff

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you intend to be in the Benidorm area on your travels, join the Benidorm Snowbirds group to keep an eye on what the Funsters are up to.
Enjoy your adventure and keep asking questions.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
hilldweller, I've given you a "useful" sticker cos I pressed the wrong button!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hilldweller, I've given you a "useful" sticker cos I pressed the wrong button!

I am honoured. Though if you look closely you'll see that you can remove it than and press another button. Jim refuses to give us a "Sod Off" button. Don't know why.

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
If you intend to be in the Benidorm area on your travels, join the Benidorm Snowbirds group to keep an eye on what the Funsters are up to.
Enjoy your adventure and keep asking questions.
Cheers,
Ed
We might be, Sheddy, it depends where we hit the coast after crossing over from France. I plan to keep an eye on the forum to see where people are, thank you

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We want and need to find work next year as site wardens or assistant wardens...i'm told it's a difficult area to break into without previous experience

but will we be able to find places to stay in Spain/Portugal without using campsites all the time?!!

They take on ex-parking wardens, wheel-clampers at the drop of a hat. They actively seek out gangland enforcers who are offered huge bonuses. The Muslim world is getting anxious about the offers made to their state torturers, bring your own whip and joint the company pension plan.

Places to stay. Carry the ACSI book and All The Aires Spain. You will see people parked outside the popular coastal sites waiting for someone to leave/die. Go inland a bit and you will probably find empty sites. But you'll always have a roof over your head. Don't panic and start to look by mid day 'till you get used to the life.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Jim has got a lot on his plate at the moment

He has left a limited supply of Fun stickers with us (Van Bitz) for people to collect at the NEC

If you send me a stamped address envelope we will pop a sticker in the post (could you drop a note asking for a sticker please)

Eddie

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
They take on ex-parking wardens, wheel-clampers at the drop of a hat. They actively seek out gangland enforcers who are offered huge bonuses. The Muslim world is getting anxious about the offers made to their state torturers, bring your own whip and joint the company pension plan.

We lack ex-parking warden and/or wheel clamper experience but we do have a whip somewhere.......(n)

Places to stay. Carry the ACSI book and All The Aires Spain. You will see people parked outside the popular coastal sites waiting for someone to leave/die. Go inland a bit and you will probably find empty sites. But you'll always have a roof over your head. Don't panic and start to look by mid day 'till you get used to the life.

Haven't got ACSI cos they don't send it out until December and we'll be away - or can we just buy a book now? Do you recommend the ATA Spain book or is the campercontact app sufficient which I understand we can view online now we've paid for it? I admit my biggest worry is about finding places to stay.

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Jim has got a lot on his plate at the moment

He has left a limited supply of Fun stickers with us (Van Bitz) for people to collect at the NEC

If you send me a stamped address envelope we will pop a sticker in the post (could you drop a note asking for a sticker please)

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, Carol had inboxed me asking for my address, she is going to send me one, but thank you for your reply

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Haven't got ACSI cos they don't send it out until December and we'll be away - or can we just buy a book now? Do you recommend the ATA Spain book or is the campercontact app sufficient which I understand we can view online now we've paid for it? I admit my biggest worry is about finding places to stay.

I just don't know those books. There are so many.

We also have the ACSI DVD loaded on a laptop. This has more sites than the discount book because it also has sites which do not discount. So this year's DVD is fine, there won't be many changes for 2017. It costs next to nothing.

We've been at it 10 years now and it's still a worry. But we've always managed. We've parked among the wagons on French motorways and had good nights. In over 60,000 miles in Europe and Morocco we have never had a security problem. We were a bit uneasy on a French motorway once, there was so much door slamming by girls of the night and their keepers we did not sleep well so we got an early start and made good progress.

We've never tried these free places where there is an obligation to buy produce. Probably very good local produce, but it's a pain, makes feel uneasy.

You'll survive.

Anyway, if not, we'll send the stock wreath "They did not return but they were brave enough to set out". What are your favourite flowers ? Jim forgets to put this on the membership form.

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I just don't know those books. There are so many.

We also have the ACSI DVD loaded on a laptop. This has more sites than the discount book because it also has sites which do not discount. So this year's DVD is fine, there won't be many changes for 2017. It costs next to nothing.

We've been at it 10 years now and it's still a worry. But we've always managed. We've parked among the wagons on French motorways and had good nights. In over 60,000 miles in Europe and Morocco we have never had a security problem. We were a bit uneasy on a French motorway once, there was so much door slamming by girls of the night and their keepers we did not sleep well so we got an early start and made good progress.

We've never tried these free places where there is an obligation to buy produce. Probably very good local produce, but it's a pain, makes feel uneasy.

You'll survive.

Anyway, if not, we'll send the stock wreath "They did not return but they were brave enough to set out". What are your favourite flowers ? Jim forgets to put this on the membership form.

Request no flowers, a small donation to the Twilight Home for the Terminally Drunk in Southend-on-Sea would be much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the Twilight Home for the Terminally Drunk in Southend-on-Sea would be much appreciated.

Nice.

Now, not a lot of people know this and I should not tell, but Jim, our glorious leader, secretly spent a substantial part of his vast fortune building that place to house the poorer FUNsters who find the weight limit on their motorhomes is insufficient to carry enough alcohol. The man is a saint in the mould of The Knights Templer going forth and slaying Dark Forces.

The rich FUNsters all run big tag axle motorhomes with sufficient load capacity to carry their collection of Grand Cru.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back