What happens if your motorhome exceeds 7 meters in length? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I read in a couple of magazine articles yesterday that it's preferable for your motorhome to be less than 7 meters long. Indeed, one actually listed as a "bad point" that a particular van exceeded the magic figure, and there do seem to be a large number of vans that are 6.99m long.

My question then is what, if any benefits you get for being specifically less than 7m long? I know your ferry charges may be a bit less and there may be other length related reductions, but what's "magic" about 7 meters? Is it just an arbitrarily chosen length or is there genuinely a world of milk and honey for those who have 6.99m or shorter vans?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never heard that one before.

Nothing negative about being longer than 7m as far as I'm aware.

It sounds like it's some arbitrary figure based on the opinion of whoever wrote the article.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Some parking bays on French Aire were 6m in length. They are now few and far between. Parking in the UK is often limited to 5.5m long so with an overhang, it is just possible to park a 7m van in a standard bay.

The ferry companies are just using length as a way of getting more revenue as they fit all sizes of vehicle on the same deck. Height is more of an issue. I can see in the summer with lots of caravans going abroad why they would want to limit length but most car and caravan combinations are nearer 10m than 7m.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I read in a couple of magazine articles yesterday that it's preferable for your motorhome to be less than 7 meters long. Indeed, one actually listed as a "bad point" that a particular van exceeded the magic figure, and there do seem to be a large number of vans that are 6.99m long.

My question then is what, if any benefits you get for being specifically less than 7m long? I know your ferry charges may be a bit less and there may be other length related reductions, but what's "magic" about 7 meters? Is it just an arbitrarily chosen length or is there genuinely a world of milk and honey for those who have 6.99m or shorter vans?
You are more comfortable inside (y)

We are 10 meters long and honestly because we still work when we go away we prefer either grass sites with nothing, so size is irrelevant or the extreme opposite nice modern sites with lots of facilities, where we would expect most sites to have at least some 10m2 pitches

Just before Christmas five of us met up at the Caravan Club site in Longleat Safari Park for the Festival of Lights, no problems they just parked us up on adjoining and opposition pitches, and again we all met at a site in Charmouth for New Year all on fully serviced pitches

Just booked for four of us to stay in the South of France for a Month in the Summer no problem

Unless you have an absolute size limit, for say a drive or a building I would recommend you find a layout you fall in love with rather than something "X" metres long:)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Some European sites and pitches are more suited to under six meters but most will have larger plots to take even the biggest of RV's.

Ironically it's the width rather than length that can make access through small streets tricky. Small units can pop off site to explore and shop but with a longer van you will use a bicycle, local transport etc.

Probably the max for relatively easy access and ease of parking is 8 meters.

We all want a 'Tardis' but you either go for the 'comforts' of larger van or the ease of a smaller unit.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
image.jpg
This is us and @jamesvanbitz (our Son) on an Aires en route to Calais at the end of last August

We are 33' and James Winnebago is 30' and if you look, we are sharing a bay lol

Not all Aires are usable, but I wouldn't want to stay on some either

Personal choice and owners confidence and driving capabilities all play a part in choosing your perfect van

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Some European sites and pitches are more suited to under six meters but most will have larger plots to take even the biggest of RV's.

Ironically it's the width rather than length that can make access through small streets tricky. Small units can pop off site to explore and shop but with a longer van you will use a bicycle, local transport etc.

Probably the max for relatively easy access and ease of parking is 8 meters.

We all want a 'Tardis' but you either go for the 'comforts' of larger van or the ease of a smaller unit.

The choice is yours.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van was 6.8m current one is 7.2m, we find the current one much easier to manoeuvre as it's a bit narrower 2.2m as opposed to 2.35, width makes more difference than length, also if going for a longer van A Class vans are much easier to drive and reverse as the sides are flat.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I think its because when you use the online booking forms for the ferry companies they alter their prices according to various lengths eg 6.5m x 2.6 etc.

So its probably a cost point of view in the eyes of the reviewer as much as anything else. Ours by the way is 7.16m we usually book 7meters and so far have never been measured.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The biggest problem we have with ours @ 7.3m and 4.5m wheelbase is finding anywhere to have it serviced locally as most garage lifts are too short in length

Reactions: DBK

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I hope your not closing down this summer @eddievanbitz when you go to the South of France.

My reversing camera might develop a fault and if you are not available to sort it out I would have to cancel my own holiday as I couldn't drive without a camera.:lipssealed:

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Gone from a 5.5m panel van to an 8.8m truck. No surprises yet, just different layouts optimised for different circumstances. Match the layout to your circumstances for happy motorhoming. But, when considering changing, don't do it just to overcome shortfalls in your current van, because you will inadvertently chuck good things away you didn't appreciate until they'd gone. Until the Tardis becomes available, a motorhome is the epitome of compromise, so choose well.

Dave

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The ferry companies charge by length because it is length that determines what they can load. Ferries are not floating car parks. If everyone underdeclared their length (and believe me, lots of people do) we would not all get on.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I have just gone up from 7.42 M to 8.54m. It is certainly less maneuverable as I can no longer reverse it around the corner of my bungalow, but that can be easily achieved by trimming a hedge. It is also more comfortable with twin single beds that the transverse bed and less need to climb over your sleeping partner to get to the loo in the night.

The fuel consumption has increased for me and I suppose would for most people.

The new one has an increased payload so I can carry more junk around with me.

I have entertained more folk in the new one, the Aldi heating would be my greatest loss if I reduced in size, and there are some places I cannot go in Cornwall or Scotland that a smaller van could, but then that is why I carry a 300.cc trike in the garage and two electric bikes in the forward garage.

I really cannot see the argument for sub7.00 M though....... Griff

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 90390 This is us and @jamesvanbitz (our Son) on an Aires en route to Calais at the end of last August

We are 33' and James Winnebago is 30' and if you look, we are sharing a bay lol

Not all Aires are usable, but I wouldn't want to stay on some either

Personal choice and owners confidence and driving capabilities all play a part in choosing your perfect van

But look at the pylon you need to take around with you just to get enough to power.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I hope your not closing down this summer @eddievanbitz when you go to the South of France.

My reversing camera might develop a fault and if you are not available to sort it out I would have to cancel my own holiday as I couldn't drive without a camera.:lipssealed:
AGAIN! This is just not good enough. Does he expect a holiday EVERY year?:doh: Unbelievable just unbelievable :rofl:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The ferry companies charge by length because it is length that determines what they can load. Ferries are not floating car parks. If everyone underdeclared their length (and believe me, lots of people do) we would not all get on.
Well .... I am not so sure. Eurotunnel don't even ask you the length of the motorhome (just book in as "camper") and yet they manage to get by.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sub 7m appeals to those who (a) are a bit wary of driving a 'large' vehicle (b) because they are easier to fit on a front drive (c) because one can poke it into a standard parking bay. Oh yes; it also fits in with some ferries and some site dimension parameters for a slight reduction in cost.

It also seems to be a trendy marketing ploy. You see them at shows with a big fluorescent billboard that shouts "Only 6.99m"

Guess it's just a matter of choice? Some folk like Bongo's or PVC's, some go 2-up in a slide-out rig that resembles a freight-liner :D

I think these 'short' MH's look great; sort of chunky and compact.

Including the bike rack, my MH is 7.5m, but it has a wicked rear overhang that I really have to watch! I can understand some folk wanting something shorter - particularly if new to the game, or concerned about driving.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would have thought if there was any cut-off it would 6.0m but only if going to Norway where vehicles longer than this can cost a lot more on ferries.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We went from 6.5 to 7.7m and love the additional room. The extra overhang could be a problem if coming off a steep ferry ramp in terms of bottoming out. French Aires have been ok as has been the tunnel.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sub 7m appeals to those who (a) are a bit wary of driving a 'large' vehicle (b) because they are easier to fit on a front drive (c) because one can poke it into a standard parking bay. Oh yes; it also fits in with some ferries and some site dimension parameters for a slight reduction in cost.

It also seems to be a trendy marketing ploy. You see them at shows with a big fluorescent billboard that shouts "Only 6.99m"

Guess it's just a matter of choice? Some folk like Bongo's or PVC's, some go 2-up in a slide-out rig that resembles a freight-liner :D

I think these 'short' MH's look great; sort of chunky and compact.

Including the bike rack, my MH is 7.5m, but it has a wicked rear overhang that I really have to watch! I can understand some folk wanting something shorter - particularly if new to the game, or concerned about driving.
I've never found a 'standard car parking bay ' in the UK ,or here, that my 5,1m car will fit in ?
My motorhome is shorter than the car at 4.9m but still has an overhang which I hate.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They explode :D
All depends on how/what you use your van -Sub 6 mtrs is car park friendly and above it gets to be a bit of a planing problem /meaning you prob have to think about where you want to go a bit more or you may have to go into a far cnr of a Tesco car park and walk a bit further :LOL:Bigger van = more space --smaller van = less space :D
terry

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, a long overhang makes you have to think a bit. I've caught ours twice. Both heavy hits too but the tow bar hangs down a bit but it protects everything else.(y)
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back