Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'm not rushing anyone you are both doing a grand job, I and others just make observations on what we see now. Maybe best if we just stopped posting about problems etc for a few weeks.
Nuff said I'm off to bake bread, at least I'm sure that will rise, hee hee

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
as has been mentioned a couple of times a parallel thread with the names seems to me the way to go, with only access to it by the organiser/helpers, I liked Haggers way, print the list of attendees on a separate thread near the time and as you confirmed your name changed from red to black, so it wouldn't have to be a mass email as most would remember and confirm and as happened with me other funsters got in touch to remind me not long to the cut off date. (I'd already pm'd why I was leaving it late)
Dave

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've been reading about how good the rally was and also about the none attendances and I' afraid I was one of them, I've just gone back through the thread and I put mine and my wife's name down quite a while ago but with everything that has happened since it was forgotten, from my point and for people with a lot going on in life a prompt nearer the time would of helped, this is not making excuses but a idea.
apologies to Jez & Lyn for not turning up i can see I missed a great meet
Dave

As Dave says sometimes life changes and you miss some things, as some of you know and some may not Dave's wife sadly passed away a few weeks ago so the fact that he posted saying he missed I take my hat off to him.

As Grommet says there are going to be lots of different tools available to help, but for me a good old fashioned Calander on the wall with any rally's I have booked seems to work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We attended this as our first Motorhome Fun rally & with such a brilliant location & all the expressed interest kept expecting a sudden influx of massives of Funsters & were surprised that so many didn't turn up. We would have been happy to pay a deposit a week or two before but can see from the postings discussing this that all options have their complications so no easy solutions. It was disappointing that those organising it wasted a lot of their time waiting for those who didn't show. Having seen the feedback from the Stratford rally I wonder if the biggest problem was the timing as it overlapped with that so maybe many chose that popular & well established rally over the first time Dorset one? I'm sure next year with all the enthusiastic reviews from the happy Dorset Funsters it will be fully attended & we will have the opposite problem of too much demand! Naming & shaming seems a negative thing to do - the joy of this website forum & the rallies seems to be the positive all inclusive, live & let live attitude as from what I've read quite a few of us have come to motorhoming as a reaction to family loss & realizing life is really too short. Hopefully with all the discussion about this anyone who has to/chooses to cancel will make sure they let the organizers know whereas maybe before they didn't realise the problems not doing this could possibly cause. Sorry to preach but it's worrying that the negative side of all this might put others off running rallies & meets & spoil the goodwill & sense of fun that makes this community special.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not rushing anyone you are both doing a grand job, I and others just make observations on what we see now. Maybe best if we just stopped posting about problems etc for a few weeks.
Please keep posting genuine problems (y) We need to know about them so we can fix them :p

as has been mentioned a couple of times a parallel thread with the names seems to me the way to go, with only access to it by the organiser/helpers, I liked Haggers way, print the list of attendees on a separate thread near the time and as you confirmed your name changed from red to black, so it wouldn't have to be a mass email as most would remember and confirm and as happened with me other funsters got in touch to remind me not long to the cut off date. (I'd already pm'd why I was leaving it late)
Dave

This is all covered in the new events manager. I am about to start working on it now. I will post a TEST event so you can all play around with it. I will create a fresh post with notes and a request for people to test once I have the permissions sorted.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I am about to start working on it now. I will post a TEST event so you can all play around with it. I will create a fresh post with notes and a request for people to test once I have the permissions sorted.

Do we need to pay a deposit ?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I voted yes.
However, after reading through this thread I can see many disadvantages.(n)
We have not yet attended a rally but do intend to do so at some stage and would be horrified if we forgot to turn up. :eek:
When agreeing to attend it would go in the diary so this wouldn't happen.
I don't know what the solution is but I think something has to be done as, of it continues to be such a high no-show rate, we may have some of our hard working organisers just not bother. :(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had a thought, please note I don't know if this is possible and I am saying this as normal user not as part of my migration job for Jim.

I wonder if it is possible to move to a positive confirmation system. Whereby anyone can add themselves to the list for an event. Then x number of days before an event is due a confirmation request is sent out. If you don't don't respond to this request you are automatically removed? The only downside I can think of off the top of my head is that some people may do the cc&c thing and sign up for everything causing problems with maximum bookings being reached really quickly? Hmm. Maybe not such a good idea?

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I like the idea of the RSVP in the new event manager & it may well change my mind of asking for a deposit for next years Dorset Fun Rally, something I really didn't want to do as it would appear to be penalising everyone who did come. One positive result from the "no shows" was the feeling that 30 to 40 Vans keeps the numbers managable and retains the small gathering feel. You can organise stuff that includes everyone there and you don't get the Motorhome City look that comes with the bigger Rallies which for me can feel a little impersonal but still enjoyable in their own way.
The main awkwardness for me was twofold, 1) it was a little embarrassing providing explanations to Campsite management as to why there weren't fifty odd Vans there effectively halving their profits which considering the work they had put in before the meet was only what they deserved.
2) How do I now put out an open invite for next years knowing that if a "no show" books again I won't be happy about it.
I don't want to have a public black list but am inclined to PM anyone with that criteria to make sure they aren't going to make a monkey out of me again.
I take on board the idea that these gatherings should be just informal invites and whoever turns up turns up but you can't really organise anything on the back of that so if its a more structured Rally you are considering you need to have a good idea of numbers.
I don't go with the oops I forgot idea, I posted the full list a number of times just before to jog peoples memories, all they needed to do was PM me.
So next years will be no more than 40 Vans and as its 10 days so more of a Holiday than Rally it will be more suitable for those wanting to come for the full period or my plan would be to have 10 places split into 2 which would be either a long weekend or the full second week then it would be open to those with time constraints.
Please PLEASE just let the organiser know if you can't make it (maybe put it on your Mobile phones calender for a month before the event to jog your memory) then someone on the reserve list gets the chance and the organisers are in the know.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
All the RSVP stuff is nonsense, it's been there for ages, most rallies ask the participant to fill in the arrivals form and have done for some time. Some of the arrivals forms are only sent and received 2 weeks prior to a rally so forgetting your meant to be going is a bit poor.

We have people who fill in the form, say they are attending, even post on the thread about what a great time they are going to have and don't turn up. (n).

I've never minded someone not coming as long as they say they are not. We all have a crisis from time to time and have to pull out of things and I even appreciate that sometimes in a crisis not letting the organisers know your not coming is so far from ones mind..

However I would say two things, one is that taking payment prior is actually easier for a larger rally, we took PayPal and a Cheque by post and now we have no money to collect, job done.

The other is in response to Sheila's post ( haven't worked out the multi quote yet). Sheila I'm sure all those came had a great time but it wasn't just those that didn't turn up that lost out on your fantastic do. It was the others kicking around desperate to go but couldn't because it was fully booked.:(

All this said and done I will finish by saying this, no one forces anyone to run set up or put on a rally, no one has too and the hassle of running one is often far outweighed by the joy to be had of people enjoying themselves and you knowing your hard work is the reason for that.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
just an observation but I don't see how a deposit penalises those that do turn up. They just pay the balance. It does however mean more paperwork for the organiser.
I think what I meant to say was that it means that the ones who fully intended to turn up are still obligated to paying the deposit which smacks of mistrust towards them as well which doesn't sit easy with me.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have had a thought, please note I don't know if this is possible and I am saying this as normal user not as part of my migration job for Jim.

I wonder if it is possible to move to a positive confirmation system. Whereby anyone can add themselves to the list for an event. Then x number of days before an event is due a confirmation request is sent out. If you don't don't respond to this request you are automatically removed?

I can think of another downside to this. If like me you very rarely have access to the Internet while away, the confirmation request might be sent out and not be seen and therefore not responded to.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I cannot see what is wrong with payment up front if someone has taken the time and trouble to organise and plan a rally and given numbers of pitches required they should be paid for, if you cannot go at the last minute you offer it to others .The numbers of some meets are limited by their success but as Hagnap said things still have to be paid for that are planned I wonder if a 50% no show would happen if you had prepaid?

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
If a deposit is really a no go then name and shame. If it states when you book no shows will be named then I do not see a problem.
I do not agree with the statement " some people just forget"
It would be interesting if the organiser just forgot.

OP
OP
silverlocks

silverlocks

Free Member
Feb 21, 2008
Gosport
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Well it appears that I have uncovered a right nest of vipers. IMHO the best way is to take full payment by PayPal prior to the event, if you dont want to pay then we dont want your company. Anybody notifying the organiser that they were unable to attend due to a genuine reason can be refunded less the expenses of meals etc. Stop mollycoddling the rude buggers that just dont turn up, its their fault if they forgot, not the organisers. Try claiming you forgot to Warners or similar, they will just laugh!!
Bob

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have not been to a meet yet where the cost is much above £10 a night, Most are significantly less. If I were to pay up front and then could not go and lost £20 so what. Its my fault not the organiser, why should they have to deal with the site owner explaining why they are only going to get a % of what they thought.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The Gweek rally had a couple of non attendees, Phil and Nicci stayed on site ready to welcome them, bit of a shame really that those that failed to turn up, didn't let them know, lets face it, any organiser is only a PM away

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hopefully people realise that their behaviour is not acceptable and that they do cause a problem and upset all round as no shows. But other than that I cannot see a way around it that I would be comfortable with. Taking payment upfront involves losses through paypal fees in the event of inclement weather forcing a cancellation (never happened yet) then the losses to the organiser would be financial and not just disappointment. We live in a changing world where is seems your word is no longer your bond no matter what.
People do not feel they have done wrong by simply not turning up. Obviously it is their choice and if they cannot be bothered to check dates when they book why would they bother to let anyone know.
It is a sad world sometimes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here is a simple way I think that punishes the transgressors whilst not those that have done what they should. Let's call it "name and shame".

Why should the organiser not publish in the forum a list of people who booked and then did not turn up without having the courtesy to contact and say why? I suggest this is done a week after the end of the rally/meet, to give people who really were sick time to make contact (or get somebody else to).

We can then all see who these rude people are. It will, of course, also give them the opportunity to belated apologise to the organisers and the funsters on the waiting list for not turning up.

Whether we are busy or not it takes no more than a few seconds to put the dates in your calendar or diary as soon as you put your name down.
and i'm sure many of those who are named and shamed will take offence at being publicly humiliated and simply leave the forum.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you re right John the only people allowed to get offended and upset are the organisers something wrong there, not that I agree with naming and shaming. I seems we just have to put up with the status quo.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
To all you people who think you cannot simply forget I wish I was living your lives.

I can see why you could forget.

I think we all accept genuine people on here who come on and put their hand up(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
and i'm sure many of those who are named and shamed will take offence at being publicly humiliated and simply leave the forum.
Will that be much of a loss??

If they have a good reason then they can have the opportunity to explain and apologise, like Busman has fairly and reasonably done on here. As others have said it is just rudeness not to turn up and then not bother apologising. Yes people forget, but it shouldn't take much to apologise to those organisers and people on the waiting list that they upset.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
after reading all these posts and the pro's and con's for deposits i still haven't seen a reason against paying upfront, then if you cant go you are more than likely to be proactive in finding a replacement because of the outlay.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back