What gearbox for a Smart on A Frame

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by sallylillian, Mar 7, 2016.

1. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

The title says it all. I have read conflicting reports on here, can you, and more importantly do you have you, towed a Smart with an auto box on an A frame without problems??
    Thanks.

2. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

I think it depends on which auto box is fitted. The new cars have a six speed double clutch box which is never really in neutral. The older robotised box had a manual box that which permitted neutral to be selected. What difference does this make you ask? On the new ones it means that the gearbox cogs will be rotating at a speed that will cause the oil to boil when you are towing it at 60 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

I cannot comment on that particular setup, but did do a lot of towing with auto boxes only major problem I had was in snow as without engine braking control could get hairy, also if you plan to do a lot of hill work ensure that the gearbox has a oil temp warning light and that the kick down works properly.
    If you use your gears instead of making the engine labour then you should not have any problems.

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If you buy new/ nearly new get the manual. Far better car anyway as gearbox (both manual and auto) + ride much improved. Front suspension now from a Mercedes C compact.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. sallylillian

Thanks, can you advise the year that the auto box becomes a no no?

6. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

miss read again, must pay attention , thought it said towing with an auto box DOH!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sallylillian

Thanks Judge, trouble is new they are eye watering for what you get? I have seen a 2013, and a 2014 high spec, but Autos??

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The new version of the Smart ForTwo has the different gearbox, the model of Smart you ideally want is a 451 (2006 to 2014 I believe) as this is the (newest model) one that people tow. These Smarts are either made with either semi-auto or a semi-auto/full-auto box (ie you can choose which you want to use it as).

I haven't driven the 'new' Smart ForTwo so the ride etc quality 'may' be better than the 451s which I have - they are IMV good anyway.

You MUST make sure that they are definitely in neutral though when to tow otherwise you'll have a very expensive repair!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Can get a new shape 2015 for approx 9k. I'm buying a 2014 old shape high spec this week for 6300'ish

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sallylillian

When I home in on something judge I may PM you with the details for a critique.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

They will be the 451 as I mentioned above, so no problem at all with these, they were ONLY made with some 'form' of auto anyway so you won't get a manual one. Many people tow them behind their motorhomes - I haven't but I've never needed to.

The 451 Smart comes in 3 basic models - Pure (base), Pulse (mid), and Passion (top) although there are some variants such as Brabus (souped up!), Grandstyle (based on a Passion) etc. They usually have a 1L petrol engine (forget the diesel one ... it's cr@p!) and have 61bhp (Pure) or 71bhp (Pulse/Passion) or 84bhp (Pulse/Passion). The 61bhp and 71bhp usually have the MHD (stop/start system) but it's nothing special, we always turn it off on ours!

If you want to let me know which you've seen for sale I can try to help you with what they are/have got so you can compare them easier.

• Like Like x 1
  12. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Can`t help thinking you could hire a lot of cars for this sort of cash and save all the hassle of towing!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. sallylillian

Thanks Minxy, thats a great offer. I have a mint 2008 with only 7k miles Copen that we will trade, I'd love to A Frame it but its too complicated.

14. Judge Mental

I've sold van :( i need a small easy to park car to get me to dialysis 3 days a week...if I eventually get a transplant I will buy a van and trailer :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

If you've already got the car you might want to consider just getting an a-frame fitted as it will be either a semi-auto or auto already (unless of course it's a semi and you WANT a full-auto one).

I've PMd you.

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Errrrrrr...
    None of them are automatic !!

What they are is a manual gearbox that is very cleverly electronically controlled.

I have had every model apart from the crossblade, have spent hours and a silly amount of money tuning them, building the lumps and doing weird things with the clutch to make them change quicker etc, so do know them quite well

I would avoid pre 2004 models as they are rhe 600cc ones and not quite as good as the 700cc and later jobbies

Any of them can be towed providing they are in neutral

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Judge Mental

From 2015 new twin clutch auto a full auto!. And a £250 road tax bill according to Minx. Manual and early semi auto 0 tax

18. Minxy Girl

The 451 and earlier models ARE automatic (semi/full) in the sense that they do not need you to change gear using a clutch ... you are talking about what METHOD is employed by the manufacturer to facilitate this - in the 'purest' sense they are not like a conventional auto but that doesn't mean they are not autos.

I can't speak for the new models as I haven't delved too deeply into their ins/outs as I don't like the look of them.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Dunno about 2015 models.. Certainly 2012-13 ones are as I say..
    Not had any that were zero road tax.. All mine have been either £20 or £30 jobbies.. But then I do tend to go for the more powerful versions of each

20. sallylillian

No I have Daihatsu Copen, not a Smart at the moment, I shall trade the Copen.