What Gas!?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Ant&Debs, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs Read Only Funster

Hi

Anybody point us in the right direction regard gas supplies when abroad, and is the way forward the Glaslow System?

Many Thanks

2. superk

superk Read Only Funster

'Abroad' is a big place! - gas varies by country.

Where are you thinking of going?

How long are you going for?

:BigGrin:
    Keith

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

gaslow is by far the best option but you may need adapters for each country visited.....some fit more than one country.

followed by the more dubious refill adapters off ebay and the like to fill 'normal' bottles.

another option is to buy a local gas bottle in whatever country you're in and a regulater to match.
    buy from supermarkets in france and spain.
    i beleive if you return it to the same outlet you can get the deposit back or bring it home until you visit again.

the last option is to buy a 'campinggaz' bottle/regulator but it works out rather expensive as they only come in 'little' size.

4. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Harry Patch is in my mind at the moment.

Sorry, but foreign gas doesn't sound good at all.

5. Ant&Debs

What Gas!

Thanks Keith

We are are thinking of 2 or 3 years ish. most of europe. We just happended to see an article on the Gasglow system as it says its refillable by user.

6. pappajohn

point taken Derek:thumb:

7. Ant&Debs

What Gas!

Thanks Pappajohn

We think that the Gaslow system would work better than having to keep changing bottles.

8. pappajohn

yep!!
    any country that has autogas/LPG and you can refill a lot cheaper than renewing bottles.:thumb:

but it is a big outlay to get kitted up.
    probably around £400+ for two bottles and the other bits needed.

i had a (used)complete two bottle/ regulator/ changeover valve/ filler setup offered for £250 but we dont use enough gas to warrent the initial cost.

9. Ant&Debs

What Gas!

Thanks Pappajohn

I agree the initial outlay is big, but its better than chasing around after different bottles etc. I have just finished driving coaches around europe for 9 years and have a box of water tap connections for the different countries, so i guessed gas would be similar!

many thanks

Tony & Debbie:thumb:

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

At the risk of starting another argument, any propane bottle is refilable with the correct adapter search threads gas refill adapters and make your own minds up. Mine cost £30 has paid for itself time and time again, So a lot cheaper than a gaslow system.

11. superk

superk Read Only Funster

We have Gaslow and are pleased that we had it installed. :BigGrin: No humping bottles in and out. :Sad: Like so many other things you pay for convenience and peace of mind.

With the adaptors that are available from Gaslow or most Camping-Caravan-Motorhome Accessory shops you can, as stated, fill easily where Autogas is available which means most countries.

Spain is an exception - there are places - The 'All the Aires' book from Vicarious Books lists them - there about a dozen - mainly in large cities but in out of the way locations. It's possible to get their locations off the Internet and set up POIs for your Satnav.

www.gas-tankstellen.de

Italy can be variable by region and some have said they couldn't get refilled - we toured all regions of Italy including Sicily for six months and never had a problem.

:Smile:
    Keith

12. keith

keith Funster

All the above is is relevant but for simplicity Gaslow beats them all.

We have used it for years in Europe & apart from Spain never had any problems.

Watch out if using the various POI lists as I have found (or not found) many to be inaccurate or at best difficult to find. The Vicarious book is OK but not comprehensive with the LPG locations.

With the adapter to refill Calaor bottles you still need the adapter for the foreign pumps, so 2 adapters needed to be used. Not an ideal situation IMO.

Keith

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Another useful Map, courtesy of Olley

Autogas map of Spain - Google Maps

Download the POIs

MotorhomeFun - Downloads - Autogas in Spain

jim

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

But not in Spain where filling places are few and far between. Says a happy gaslow owner.

15. hilldweller

And it still shows the one that does not exist in Malaga that we spent ages looking for.

16. hilldweller

Well all you have to do to stop this is add "....which needs very careful use and may not comply with some regulations". Then there is nothing to argue about.

17. keith

keith Funster

So it's not only me that can't find them. :Doh:

18. hilldweller

Out of the mouth of Ray - Desert Detourer - "forget it, it doen't happen in Spain because Spain has no gas mains everything is geared to swapping cylinders".

One person found one in Jerez but that closes very early when the owner feels like it.

What would be good, apart from the size/weight/cost would be a hand pump to decant from a local bottle into the gaslow ( or UK cylinder if you do it that way ). I've heard you can get somewhere by inverting the full one, so liquid comes out, to fill an empty one by pipe though I'm not sure now much is transferred.

AND I HAVE WATCHED CYLINDERS BEING DESTRUCTION TESTED AT HSE, YOU MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT WANT TO BE NEAR LIQUID GAS WHEN IT ALL GOES WRONG, OH NO.

19. Euromobil

Euromobil Read Only Funster

Gaslow

Hi, we have one gaslow refillable and one small calor in reserve just in case we cant find a refil station. U K and France are easy to find refil but in Spain GPL sites are not so plentiful. However we know approx how much gas we use each week and make sure we top up if passing a station. Not all nossels are the same, so you need apaptors although in spain often the garage has a selection.The real boon is never having to hump heavy gas cylinders about. cheers Bob

20. hilldweller

Ditto !

We use a small Calor in reserve which we also use for the BBQ. Since the BBQ uses little it seems to be a workable solution.