LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have a look at Patterdale terrier or also called lakeland terrier.
They do moult a bit tend not to bark and affectionate

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Cocker spaniel. Takes everything in its stride, and enjoys it all. Happiest dog on the planet.

Lesley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
We have a 'miniature' Labradoodle. I say miniature because she is more a medium size. Doesn't moult, lovely nature, loves the grandkids...in fact she loves everybody. Her sister is a Cockapoo and is a bit smaller. Intelligent wee soul too. Full sized Labradoodles are pretty huge, so if you do go for one watch out! She enjoys sitting on the rear seat, clipped into the seat belt, watching the world go by when we're on the road. Been to Holland and a few other trips in the UK with us this year. Good luck with whatever you choose...

lilyput

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
We have a beautiful Irish Setter called Lily - son presented her to me for my birthday. We then had to buy the motorhome so she could come with us on hols and she and we love it. France thrice with no probs. As for shedding - all the time but so what?

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I’m telling ya a Staffie….. I deducted £1 from his purchase price when on the 31st of October I heard the front door bell ring, spent a minute looking for the inevitable Halloween collection and when I opened the door there was no one there?????

:dogthanks:

Brian

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
What you want is a bichon freize they don't moult they are quite small are an excellent watch dog.hear any sound, the French army used them as watch dogs in their desert forts they are wonderful little dogs but they do need a hair cut every now and then oh and they are not keen on strangers if you now what I mean!!!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We're planning on getting a new puppy in the spring, and haven't quite decided on which breed, yet. We're veering towards another Dallie. We love them, and they're fantastic characters, but a smaller dog may be more practical.
I'd like a Staffie, but I'm a bit concerned about how they might be accepted on French campsites. Does anyone know whether they classed as one of the dangerous breeds in France?
Does anyone have experience of travelling with a Staffie on the Continent? If so, have they encountered any problems?
Thanks
Chris
Staffies are rare in France so many people think they are Pit Bulls, even the Gendarmes. I produced the following in English and got Google to translate. I have copies on me at all times, any problems I just pass the paper, Gendarme reads, smiles and strokes Alfie. Better than trying to explain.

Mon nom est ALFIE, je suis un Anglais Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (Staffy)
Nous ne sommes pas une race interdite en Angleterre ou en France et qui ne figurent pas dangereux
Je n'ai aucun lien PITBULLS même si je regarde similaire.
Nous aimons la compagnie des humains en particulier les enfants.
S'il vous plaît me caresser.

He is a good traveller, doesn't bark OR BITE! dries quickly, sits on passenger seat which wards off undesirables when we are not there, never complains, never chewed furniture, the perfect dog, FOR US OF COURSE !
Some drawbacks, they are addicted to any form of fuss or company, especially children.
P1060502.JPG

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Sylvester
Have you got a growler yet ? If i have missed a posting,sorry,but do let us know what you plumped for in the end...... Got to be off now.... Walkies....LOL
Tea Bag

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Aww no-one mentioned a Dalmatian.
Probably because they are all like our Simba.
Moults continuous tiny white hairs that embed themselves into upholestry and most clothing.
Large dog that tries to occupy all available space.
Moans and groans if things are not perfect from his viewpoint
Full of daft ideas about what constitutes "activity", "food" or "common sense".
But my god what a dog, to have as a friend, a protector and giving hours of fun and laughter.
Sod the dog hair and enjoy.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Aww no-one mentioned a Dalmatian
We've got a Dally and I think they're the most amazing dogs ever, (Well I would say that!) But we've had lots of dogs over the years, and Dallies are something else entirely. They're a bit' half dog, half human.' They're extremely intelligent, listen to every conversation you have, and they know exactly what they want and how to get it.

Our dog, Jay, shouts to us when he wants us to put another log on the fire. He also tells us exactly where he wants us to put his bed. When his mother was alive, she used to tell us when Jay was being naughty. She used to come into the room, smiling and cringing, and lead us out to where Jay was eg stealing food from the kitchen. (Stealing is a well-known Dally trait.) She also used to find pheasant eggs and bring them into the house, undamaged, and hide them.

To some people, Dallies would be a nightmare dog. They moult like Hell, won't accept compromise, have selective hearing when off the lead, and are absolute magnets to every passing child who thinks they've come straight out of a Walt Disney film - and ours just aren't interested in speaking to strangers, although everybody wants to speak to them.

But, as @RidersofRohan says, they are brilliant fun, wonderful company and great house dogs. Both of ours have been excellent travellers, and happy to settle down in the van when we want to go off for a couple of hours. We'd find it very difficult to have any other breed now, but they are big, and we have to admit it might be more practical to go for something smaller. We're planning on getting a new puppy in the spring. Whether we'll actually make that compromise, and go for something smaller, we haven't decided, yet. I strongly suspect it may be another Dally.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We've got a Dally and I think they're the most amazing dogs ever, (Well I would say that!) But we've had lots of dogs over the years, and Dallies are something else entirely. They're a bit' half dog, half human.' They're extremely intelligent, listen to every conversation you have, and they know exactly what they want and how to get it.

Our dog, Jay, shouts to us when he wants us to put another log on the fire. He also tells us exactly where he wants us to put his bed. When his mother was alive, she used to tell us when Jay was being naughty. She used to come into the room, smiling and cringing, and lead us out to where Jay was eg stealing food from the kitchen. (Stealing is a well-known Dally trait.) She also used to find pheasant eggs and bring them into the house, undamaged, and hide them.

To some people, Dallies would be a nightmare dog. They moult like Hell, won't accept compromise, have selective hearing when off the lead, and are absolute magnets to every passing child who thinks they've come straight out of a Walt Disney film - and ours just aren't interested in speaking to strangers, although everybody wants to speak to them.

But, as @RidersofRohan says, they are brilliant fun, wonderful company and great house dogs. Both of ours have been excellent travellers, and happy to settle down in the van when we want to go off for a couple of hours. We'd find it very difficult to have any other breed now, but they are big, and we have to admit it might be more practical to go for something smaller. We're planning on getting a new puppy in the spring. Whether we'll actually make that compromise, and go for something smaller, we haven't decided, yet. I strongly suspect it may be another Dally.
Yes you've nailed it there, Bellabee.
Once you've had one it would be very difficult to go with a different breed, and I love dogs and appreciate all the different breeds have many qualities. Do dallies fit into motorhoming?, yes they do, its just whether they leave enough room for you and you can cope with one, hairs and all.
Keswick 6AM visitor.JPG

maeve

Free Member
Nov 5, 2015
north east england
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
Love looking at all the dogs belonging to MH`s. I have a Golden Doodle( see Andy 63 ) posted two photographs of Angel .She is two years old. She has a lovely nature but still quite boisterous, she is on the large size and as strong as an ox, you can`t tire her out unless you do at least a 6 mile walk ( which doesn`t happen often) tut tut. She moults but not heavily. I wouldn`t be without her she has helped me through the last two years.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@RidersofRohan , I keep coming back to your photo. I know that look in your dog's eye so well. It's saying 'I'm very comfortable here, but I'm not going to allow myself to go to sleep, because I need to keep an eye on you. You might tell me to 'get off', and that wouldn't amuse me at all.'

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Sylvester
Have you got a growler yet ? If i have missed a posting,sorry,but do let us know what you plumped for in the end...... Got to be off now.... Walkies....LOL
Tea Bag

Good evening and thank you all for an amazing selection and suggestion of dogs that you consider suitable for the MH based on your own experiences. Some of the dogs pictured on here coupled with the owners stories have been an absolute delight. I have even been tempted to pop around one night and steal one or two or three of them lol!
But in answer to your question no we havent got one yet and should we decide it wont be till after Christmas but for sure we will post a pic on here and share with all of you lovely people too...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi sylvester1954.
Thanks for the update,have a good Christmas,and don't worry to much about getting a dog............... One will choose YOU!! LOL. No matter what the breed,from mongrel up,they all now a softy when they see one/YOU!
Tea Bag...... Walkies(AGAIN DOH)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Patterdale terrier
moults but leather interior, so no matter, would not swap her, even though she is a sod at times. Travels really well in motor home.
Cute heh;:love:
IMG_9708.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back