what dog ? (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
For those with dogs that happily travel in your motorhome abroad and everywhere what type or breed would you recommend?
I would prefer a dog that doesn't moult to much and not to big. Likewise l don't want a little pooch either....what would you recommend?

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Staffie. Also doubles as a hidden alarm system.
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you don't want moulting, you don't want a Lab. Our beloved Lab passed away almost 5 months ago, and we are still hovering up her hair!
You might want to consider a Labradoodle though, no moulting, and similar temperament!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
CockerPoo. Spaniel/poodle cross. Medium'ish (Tend to be smaller than medium as a rule). Friends have two,a cream one and a Choccy one,super dogs,mix well with all size dogs and are both very loving.
We have Border Collies ?,well.....ONE!,but the amount of fur we find i sometimes wonder if we've got FIVE. We are to old to take on another dog,but if we did,it would have to be a Border Collie,they are so clever and biddable,get you out of the house...ALL weathers and have Masters degrees in....ESP!
So,have a look at Cockerpoo's,bit like the Portugues Water dog,now they do not moult either,so,"It's make your mind up folks"
Tea Bag

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Whippet: nice size & little hair moult, doesn't need grooming, no dog smell when wet (in case that bothers you!), coat doesn't hold dirt so no bathing. Poodle: any size you want, doesn't moult, needs grooming

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We considered getting a dog and although I prefer larger dogs (would love a Spanish water dog) after much research decided a mini schnauzer would suit travels in a PVC better.

I think there are a few funsters who have them.

As it happens we decided that at the moment, with work commitments as they are, it wouldn't be right to have a dog.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
staffie without any doubt. give them a good brush with a grooming mit once a week and theres no shedding on the furniture or carpet. being a short haired terrier breed, dirt doesnt stick to them either. all that and still a proper dog and not a designer mongrel with health issues

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a yellow Labrador and a beagle. The beagle doesn't seem to moult much and is a fantastic companion dog. The lab moults and eats everything she comes into contact with. I wouldn't be without either, but for a medium sized good natured and affectionate dog, a beagle is hard to beat.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Welsh Springer \ Scottish Border Collie cross (Sprollie?) is a definite no no.

Sheds enough fur every day to make a double duvet!
Feathered legs, tail and belly that collects every bit of dirt that's going!
Ears long and furry enough to sook up half his dinner!
Needs loads of exercise (been biting my ankle since 05.00ish to go out)!:sleep:
Guard dog, eh no unless he licks them to death!:(
Scared of any load sudden noise - so much for being a gun dog!:rolleyes:
Daft as a brush!:eek:

Would we be without him? Eh no.:love:

Never mind what flavour of dug. Get yourself over to your local rescue centre, see what you \ they take a shine to and give a wee furry monster a second chance. You know it makes sense.(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There are plenty of crossbreed dogs in a rescue centre, which not only make excellent companions but you are also giving a dog a life instead of paying £££'s to a breeder for a designer dog that, at the end of the day, is actually a mongrel.

Gets hard hat and waits for incoming..........

This is a rescue dog. He loves the van with a passion. His ginger friend is fostered but at 15 isn't really going anywhere
image.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
(y) .......but now has runny egg all over the toupee and running down the face :confused:
Once you've removed the hair (and dog hair!) scramble the eggs! Or let the dugs lick the raw egg off, oors loves eggs.(y):)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Once you've removed the hair (and dog hair!) scramble the eggs! Or let the dugs lick the raw egg off, oors loves eggs.(y):)
Good plan. Jake the idiot dog (failed gun dog who was rescued) is a spaniel; therefore he will eat anything.......he cannot be described as proud.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
IMG_0054 copy.jpg

A Springer and a Cocker, they moult everywhere, jump on the bed, eat everything in sight, have unpleasant personal habits and absolutely love being in the van.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
View attachment 83260

A Springer and a Cocker, they moult everywhere, jump on the bed, eat everything in sight, have unpleasant personal habits and absolutely love being in the van.
For some reason, here at Dux towers ( we always seem to rescue gun dogs) when our and our daughters dogs get together (both working cocker spaniel) they are referred to as "a thicket of spaniels". Terribly unfair and not true of course, but it somehow fits. Helped by the fact that Dillon, one of our daughters dogs, is the only really stupid looking spaniel I've ever seen......

....love them. Double trouble (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have a Border Collie. He doesn't seem to moult too much but he is a bit of a mud magnet. He's a very active dog and collects all manner of debris in his trousers and undercarriage. If we didn't have an external shower I think it would be a problem.

We do love him though!

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We have Laika the wonder dog , she's a jack/poodle cross, she's now a year old and we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Laika the wonder dog does moult so she does have a regular brush and the van and car are regularly vacuumed.
She is a great size for the van, enjoys walking, gets muddy, eats stuff on her walks which would turn your stomach and smells when wet . We love her to pieces and is part of our life now and wouldn't be without her. She's opened a whole new world for us and is a great ice breaker with people.
Whichever dog you choose it will repay you 100% with love and affection if you have to clean up a bit after the dog , so what .

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
We have a yorkiepoo fantastic nature & non shedding also happy to do what we want to do loves travelling happy travels Rod

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dillon, our working cocker, does not moult at all.
Wonderful temperament, bright as a silver sixpence, travels amazingly well and will never get too big
I fought agin womans want of another dog for 8 years ..
Glad I gave in now !

Dillon in guard dog mode....

P1010884s.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted User
Labrador or Labrador cross, love travel, swimming, eating, walking, running, dribbling, begging. Moult a lot though, but do love a good brush.
Golden Retriever, nope wouldn't go there again, ours wants to be a Labrador so we spend a fortunate getting her fur clipped short.

Lin :)
WP_20140703_001 (1).jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back