what dog wormer to use for france,spain & portugal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Simson, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Simson

Simson Funster

Hi :hi:going to France, Spain & Portugal in Sept . for the first time. Can anyone tell me what is the right wormer to use, I use Drontal at home but don't know if this will be ok abroad. I know you have to go to the vets for a wormer before coming back into the UK. any help would be appreciated from all you know it all Funsters , that are always back and forth across the channel .:cheers: Mew & Mick

2. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

Hi we take drontal with us & the vets in France allow you to use it providing they watch you give it to your dog happy travels Rod

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We never take our own tablets with us. You have to go to a vet anyway so we just let them provide it. Last time cost was €21 per dog including the tablet.

4. Simson

Simson Funster

Hi, yes I was just going to go to the vet and let them do it for coming back, it was for leaving the UK into France is what I'm not sure of.

5. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

th us. You have to go to a vet anyway so we just let them provide it. Last time cost was €21 per dog including the tablet.[/QUOTE]
    Hi our friend took bith there dogs & used the vets treatment & they were both il maybe a coincidance

6. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

Hi you don't need them to travel out cheers Rod

7. NickNic

Leaving the UK into France, and crossing any other EU border, you don't have to do anything. There are no checks at all.
    The checks coming back into the UK are not a requirement of the Pet Passport scheme either. It was something DEFRA insisted on tacking onto it when it was set up. I've never heard a plausible reason why.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

Hi our friend took bith there dogs & used the vets treatment & they were both il maybe a coincidance[/QUOTE]

I'd say coincidence. Ours have been to various French vets with no issues.

9. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Another vote for take your own Drontal.

10. NickNic

Ours seem to like Millbimax better as it seems to usually be a chewable sweet rather than a tablet which they hate. I did ask our vet about getting them here which you can do but his advice is that if you're travelling 3 or 4 times a year, which we do, don't bother giving them anything here as the treatment is France will cover them and all you're doing is doubling up on the dose which isn't good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We worm ours every 3 months with Milbermax in Uk and have taken them away with us and also got been able to get them in Spain, unless you have to use a specific type for allergies etc, easy to just go with which ever brand the vet you choose holds.
    We sometimes don't make a three month gap as your return dose can't be changed, if no longer than 3 weeks we risk extending to fit with passport. If its going to take them more than 3 weeks over usual 3 month dose and then we dose as normal and redosed with vet as well dogs never suffered ill effects having more the one dose in three months.

Lin :)

12. NickNic

Ours have never had any ill effects either but the vet told me not to bother dosing them here. He reckons the 3 months isn't all that critical - if it's out by a few weeks to fit in with travel plans don't worry about it. I've no reason to doubt him as he's doing himself out of a sale by telling me that. I can always go and just get one dose if I need to rather than the years supply that I usually get.
    The other thing he told me which I didn't know is that one of the ingredients of Millbemax is the same as one of the ingredients of Advocate and it really shouldn't be doubled up so if you use Advocate don't use it within 2 weeks of them having Millbemax.

13. Simson

Simson Funster

Hi :hi: and Morning to all you helpful fun club lot, thanks a lot for all your help (y).got it all sorted now :dance:the countdown is on ,Only 3 weeks 4 days left till we leave on our trip,:clap2: getting dead excited, hoping to bump into some of you funsters on our travels :cheers: and thanks again for the help. Mew & Mick

• Like Like x 3
  14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I am confused.
    I use advocate monthly on a 2kg chihuahua.
    Went to vet for worming tabs, they have said to use milbemax monthly when abroad, and every 3 months while in uk,
    For worming as advocate does not cover tapeworm.
    Vectra for fleas, ticks sandflies also monthly when in uk and abroad, and stop the advocate as doubling up on some of the medication.

15. NickNic

Advocate is an all in one flea and worming treatment. It just doesn't protect against tapeworm. If your dog is never lose in places like fields where they are likely to find and investigate dead animals tapeworm treatment isn't really necessary. It's your call.
    Any tapeworm treatment monthly is something I've never heard of before and sounds wrong. Unless Chihuahuas are different to every other breed I would be challenging the vet on that.
    The tapeworm treatment, be it Droncet, Millbemax or anything else, only needs to be every 3 months or so in total. So if you are travelling abroad and back 3 or 4 times a year the treatments they get for that will be more than adequate.
    Forget the Vectra completely. It's replicating what the Advocate does.
    Don't be talked into dropping the Advocate either - it protects against Lungworm where the
    others don't. Your vet probably will try and get you to drop it as it's cheaper than any other possible way of covering everything that it does.

If it was me I would probably be looking for another vet.

16. Deansford Moll

Deansford Moll Funster

hi there, you just need the same stuff as you use here, you have to go the vets 5 days before you sail back, and as long as your pet passport is up to date, that will be fine, [ no passport, no sailing ] hope this helps,

17. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

I think above all make sure your dog is covered for sandflies as much as possible as this can be deadly as our vet can testify lets hope you & your pets all travel safely happy travels Rod

18. Theonlysue

I didn't think the advocate covers ticks fleas or sandflies?

19. Theonlysue

20. Theonlysue