What do you wish you had been told before going on your first trip to Europe in your Moho? (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

Contemplating our first trip to Europe for some warmer Weather next month and would be very interested to know what you wish you had known before your first trip.

Planning to go via tunnel as we have a dog, not sure how far South we will go, may be just as far as lake Geneva or if really brave down to Spanish coast near Barcelona.

Driven through Europe in a hire car plenty of times but we need to carry things like V5 to prove ownership and then read of French Police having powers to confiscate vehicles for various reasons including speeding by 40kph (I cannot contemplate I will do that but still seems a little extreme for Police to have that much power.)

Could bottle out and go to Scotland but bound to rain the whole time LoL

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I wish I had been told that our Sat Nav wouldn't work properly, the fridge would pack up, the alternator would pack up and that the fan belt would pack up......other than that, nothing. Relax. Have a great time and enjoy......we did!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
1. If going to Spain by ferry, don't put in too much fuel, as it is cheaper over there
2. fill up on the Spanish side of the Portuguese border (cheaper)
3. Take something to constantly clean the windscreen of the flies
4. Take plenty of stuff to drink (water, I mean)
5. Take spare fluids (right oil, hydraulic fluid, etc)
6. Never ever travel without gaffer tape, cable ties and a really good first aid kit (no, not for rude reasons, just common sense)
7. Keep all paperwork handy for inspection
8. Make sure your phone is set for international roaming
9. Keep cards and money safely stashed, and leave a little sacrificial cash to be found relatively easily in case of problems
10. Spend money and invest in the Garmin 760 MLTD sat nav

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
That we would look at UK campsites in a different way and that we pay over the odds for pitch fees in the UK
And that we should of done it sooner
Go and enjoy yourselves

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wish we had been told to go sooner and try the aires

That we would look at UK campsites in a different way and that we pay over the odds for pitch fees in the UK
And that we should of done it sooner
Go and enjoy yourselves
Absolutely the one thing that you should know about France is Aires, anything else is pretty much the same as being at home, there isn't a gendarme behind every tree either, urban myth , just go and enjoy (y)(y)

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
On our first trip we were told do not plan where you are going and then you will never get lost this has worked well now for 17 years. The only essential thing needed in my opinion is to carry a spare wheel, glad we do as we had a blowout in Spain and we would have been stranded over a weekend. Traveling in Europe is much easier and cheaper than rip off Britain.Have a great time.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
That the weather in northern France is pretty much the same as England even though it's "abroad', and under no circumstances ever eat a pizza made with tripe and intestine sausage, calvados, apples and fresh cream, no matter how much the patron of the restaurant says you will love it. It is indescribably evil, wrong in every respect and the most expensive thing on the menu.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Although we had caravanned in France for many years we didn't realise how much easier it would be to tour in a motorhome. On the Scottish theme, we enjoyed three straight weeks in the Outer Hebrides last year with no rain!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What most have said is that we kick ourselves for not doing it sooner..... far far better in Europe for motorhome then here....

If you have a smart phone or tablet, down load camper contact.com (y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
/what-do-you-wish-you-had-been-told-before-going-on-your-first-trip-to-europe-in-your-moho.
When you run out of gas er erm, no Calor available.
So I use French gas at €1 bottle deposit and 1/2 Calor prices.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
That it's almost impossible over there to get new windscreen wiper blades for a RH drive Peugeot!:rolleyes:
Adding to that a spare passenger mirror or replacement emergency stick on mirror plates and an indicator cover & bulb, particularly if you are going on the N roads.

From May the French authorities will have access to DVLA records, so you need a good satnav with up to date speed limits and preferably a safety camera database of some sort. Although a lot of French speed cameras are often damaged some of them are well hidden and live.

Enjoy a totally different and better camping car culture (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not to leave €2000 in cash and an iPad lying around when you go to bed.

In case you are gassed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Adding to that a spare passenger mirror or replacement emergency stick on mirror plates and an indicator cover & bulb, particularly if you are going on the N roads.

From May the French authorities will have access to DVLA records, so you need a good satnav with up to date speed limits and preferably a safety camera database of some sort. Although a lot of French speed cameras are often damaged some of them are well hidden and live.

Enjoy a totally different and better camping car culture (y)
They are well sign posted as well though.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Not to leave €2000 in cash and an iPad lying around when you go to bed.

In case you are gassed.
French motorhomers night attire.

IMG_0488.JPG

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That Cheval isn't French for Ribeye Steak.
It is better than steak,cheaper too.
As for the other I am going tomorrow I will tell you of the disasters that occur when/if I get back from there. I have an open return date so might use two weeks or two days if it is that bad and the Russians attack. Might go to Germany and get the Hymer factory to do the repairs that might occur. Or might just go down into France. I still do not know how to keep to the N roads though. The word Peage rather frightens me.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Overall I hope you have a fab time and return home looking forward to your next trip wondering what all the worry was about like 99% of us.

A couple of tips I have:

On the French speed limits subject, assume villages with a nameplate edged in red have a 50km/h limit this is not necessarily signposted. and just generally take it steady.

Avoid Calais in the dark hours.

Download camper contact or CCinfos App.

hope this helps

Jon

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Some motorway and other petrol stations only take credit cards ! Look hard at signs if you want to pay cash.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I wish I had been told about ACSI before I pre booked with the caravan club and got charged a fortune for not knowing any better.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It is better than steak,cheaper too.
As for the other I am going tomorrow I will tell you of the disasters that occur when/if I get back from there. I have an open return date so might use two weeks or two days if it is that bad and the Russians attack. Might go to Germany and get the Hymer factory to do the repairs that might occur. Or might just go down into France. I still do not know how to keep to the N roads though. The word Peage rather frightens me.
That would be no 11 on my previous list:

11. Don't fear peages. It is true that they rip you off rigidly as you get near to the Spanish border, so that is when you need to be careful.

But consider this: Le Havre to Biarritz on N roads, realistically 12 hours 950 klicks. Via piage, realistically 8 hours 900 klicks. Cost 60 euros in tolls, benefits, 4 hours of driving, probably saved as much in fuel costs

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
I wish I'd been told you need to take your own loo roll when struggling with Delhi belly in France. :(:(:confused::whistle:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Some motorway and other petrol stations only take credit cards ! Look hard at signs if you want to pay cash.
In the South of France paying cash for fuel was really difficult, so as many backup bank cards as you can safely take is wise. I lost the use of 2 cards during my last journey as First Direct debit cards would not work at some petrol stations (no coherent explanation as to why) and Barclaycard cancelled my card as they changed systems from MasterCard to Visa.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back