What do you want on a campsite?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jimiol, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Hi there as you may have seen from some of my previous posts I am in the process of buying a small (circa 15 pitches) campsite.

The campsite has been run by the current owner for 20 years and when I buy it I intend to spend some money on the site to bring up to a standard I would look for when I stay on a site.

I would be really interested in the views of others as to what they look for on a campsite and which features etc would make them come back and book again.

I have some personal views such as clean, warm washrooms with hand dryers that actually dry hands in less than a fortnight.

I am changing the current Shower/WC block to create a mens washroom that will simply contain one sink and one WC in a cubicle and separate bathroom within the bathroom consisting of an ensuite, Shower, toilet and sink. I am doing the same for the ladies side and then creating two separate ensuite bathrooms for Family, Disabled or Unisex use that again consists of shower, wc and sink. In all I will either being installing under floor heating or heated towel rails if the underfloor heating is too expensive. All ensuites will be big enough to actually shower in and get dried without having to be a contortionist and will have plenty of hooks and a shelf, mirror & seat.

I will be creating a small dishwashing and washing rooms with 2 sinks a washing machine and dryer. Plus an outside BBQ sink.

I can't and don't want to change the location of the site it is opposite the atlantic sea. The site is too small to sustain a shop and there is a village with five pubs and a number of other shops 400 mtrs away, so no need for a shop or club house.

I know price is a factor it will be around 20 euros a night inc EH. All pitches will have hard standing and a grass area and be on average about 7 Mtrs by 10 mtrs. I would like to put water on each pitch and a grey waste point on each pitch but the cost of doing so, does not really make this viable and being a 1 acre site it is not far to the nearest tap anyway.

I want to put in a drive over grey waste drain, as my van is fitted with a grey tank and a lever to open the same which empties at the back of the van in the middle and this type of drain is the easiest for me to use, but I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Steaming hot power showers. Free. Though I would prefer to pay for my spec rather a warm trickle.

More than two sinks for washing for 15 pitches, we all eat around the same
    time.

Hook up essential for most folk.

Firm pitch.

Plenty to see/do within walking/cycling distance.

WiFi - and with the inconsiderate ones, loads of bandwidth. Free or at least a sensible price.

Nice owners/wardens who are not descended from A Hitler.

• Like Like x 6
  3. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

My personal opinion, as the owner of a 5th wheel RV.
    My ideal pitch would have EHU, water, and black and grey waste. Maybe satellite HU.
    Easy access, and peace and quiet.
    The ideal pitch will never be obtained, and i wish you well in your venture.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

5. lorger

lorger Funster

I think we all look for different things at different times but one thing everyone wants all the time is clean facilities, no matter how basic they are they need to be clean. If I stayed at a fancy site with really fancy facilities and they where dirty I wouldn't return, on the other hand if they where old and basic but spotless I'd return.

A nice smiling face help also when you book in as first impressions do count, apart from that we don't look for anything in particular.

6. busby

busby Funster

Cleanliness and lots and lots of sunshine.....:Laughing: BUSBY..

• Like Like x 1
  7. maz

maz Funster

As someone who much prefers to use the facilities in their own van, a luxury shower block wouldn't even register on the radar. :Smile:

I use hook-up from late autumn to early spring. Outside that winter period my solar and battery bank easily keep pace with my consumption so I avoid sites that automatically include hook-up in the price.

HTH

• Like Like x 3
  8. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

But please don't go down the route of extra charge for additional car. Caravans have a car without charge, so why should motorhomes?

Other than that, EHU, hard standing and clean toilet/wash blocks.

Best of luck with your venture.

9. jimiol

jimiol Funster

1 Cleanliness - understood and will comply.
    "Sunshine" - its Ireland not sure if I can comply but it is literally across the road from a beach and the sea looks magnificent in stormy weather.
    I have never liked bolt on or add ons I prefer one price to cover all, that said I can see the point re an extra charge (reasonable) for electric and therefore those who want it pay for others that don't want do not have to pay for. I won't charge extras for pets, 1 car, awnings etc.

I will try to smile.
    I will remember how stressed I can get on a journey and how I have been met by other campsite owners, receptionists in the past who have not listened to me or have spoken too fast so that I have no idea of where to park or where anything is.

I will encourage campers to eat at different times so that the 3 sinks in total can cope with all who need it at the same time.

Keep up the suggestions, I am a sponge.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Geordies

Geordies Funster

How on earth would you encourage people to eat at different time ? Unless that was tongue in cheek ?

11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

you could get a family room at premier inns for that money:Eek!:

• Like Like x 4
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sorry but you really are asking the wrong people to give suggestions. most on here have short arms and deep pockets. they hate to pay for anything and believe everything should be free...to them anyway

personally with family who have set up campsites, i would siuggest that you keep the site clean and tidy, be welcoming and provide simple but clean facilities. most important though is do your research and dont price yourself too high as this is counter productive. better to have a full site at say 15E rather than 2 or 3 snobs on at 20E that act like they own the place

good luck in your venture:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Each site has its own attractions and some 'must have's' in one place aren't necessary at another.

For instance, I was thinking that a nice, level pitch is a must-have, yet at Clachtoll in Scotland we were in undulating grass, but the site was wonderful because the location next to sand dunes and the beach was superb.

Then clean, large toilets and showers. Yes, pretty much A Good Thing. But is your location SO good that you have the pull to appeal as a site of outstanding beauty?

I'd say grey and black waste disposal is highly desirable.

And a site where the pitches aren't in a regimented arrangement.

Maybe some small box hedging separating each pitch to give some privacy and separation?

And if the facilities are great, but the site looks a bit dowdy and formal, then that's also a negative. It's subjective stuff. A recent trip to a site in Banbury confirmed this. Great facilities but all 'vans neatly next to each other and the wonderful canal that it was alongside completely out of view.

Also, is this a year-round site? Do you need to appeal to all weather types?

Do you have pictures or an overhead view of the site? I think it needs to be looked at in that respect to determine what's desirable in the context of where it is.

14. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

From middlewood farm price list,

SUPPLEMENTS (per night)

Awning (10ft wide max) £3.00
    Annexes by prior arrangement ONLY £3.00
    Extra person £3.00 per person
    Under 3 years Free
    Extra car £3.00
    Dogs ([HI]acceptable breeds only[/HI])£2.00 per dog

That lets me out, our dogs are rescue and mongrels:RollEyes:

I like an area where you can take a cup or a beer and sit around and have a chat.

15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

And a bus stop at the gate:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

If the price is 20e low season a lot of people including us would be using acssi sites. As already said cleanliness is what we look for in a site plus not to noisey.

17. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Thanks for the replies so far, this is basically free market research. I personally prefer campsite that do not resemble housing estates with all the houses being the same. I like a bit of randomness but at the same time a bit of logic. We are aiming to provide some separation between pitches. The land is completely level so we would like to make some features. we will keep the middle area pitchless and provide some picnic style table and may be a boat or two cut in half up ended and made into a seat/shelter just to give it a feature.

Missed a couple whilst writing 20e is high season.
    I could put up a bus stop sign but there are no buses that pass by.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

acceptable breeds to whom though? some dont like gsds or rotties others dont like staffies or crosses. just who decides if your much loved well behaved pet is welcome?

we were on a site a year or 2 back, had booked in and been there a couple of days when somebody asked why we were allowed to bring "those dogs" onto the site. the owner came and had a word to say normally they dont let staffies onsite but as we were already set up and the dogs were well behaved they could stay this time.

on leaving the site and returning the key we were told we would be welcome back any time...dogs as well. we had restored some of their trust in well behaved staffies. i just dread to think what caused the ban in the first place

19. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

The plan for cubicle facilities for men is welcome but just one ensuite is a little short sighted. Unfortunately most folks seem to want to shower at the same time and if there's one thing I hate it's queuing. For a small increase in cost it should be possible to provide a shower in each cubicle. Now, that would be great.

20. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

If I read it right, you said it's in Ireland.

That rules it out for me. It just costs too much to get there with a MH.

I can do flights, hire car, and B&B for a lot less than a return trip on the ferry with a MH.

:Cool:

• Like Like x 1