What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by TheDeckKing, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing Read Only Funster

I'm going to have a look at this

Link

What do you all think?

It's our first time so any hints as to what to watch out for would be great.

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Looks good, make sure you check for damp, if everything is as stated, it will never lose much

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

As chaser says watch out for damp; Swift’s had a poor reputation for damp ingress. But it looks nice and clean. Have a good nose around inside, check deep inside cupboards. Check out the electrics, heating etc. Take it for a good long road test, feel how the engine pulls, how the steering responds etc. With 60k on the clock everything should be nice and tight.

Looks a nice MoHo; years of fun to come. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheDeckKing

I've got a damp meter. What sort of readings should I be getting? I've had a play with it at home and get 15% in plasterboard walls a just a few percent in timber.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Brilliant but subject to condition, go and visit with a damp meter in your hand. If he won't let you use it run a mile.

You can have as much FUN in that as a £150K Dethleths. Probably more because you don't see adventurous gin palaces.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hilldweller

I don't think they are properly calibrated but if you see 15% then a foot away 25%, sort of thing, you've got to look closely.

So a base reading or two far from joints where is should be dry then measure wherever there is a joint, windows, corner joints.

Water goes down. Our problems have all be around floor level but others in here have had the top seams leak.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

On our service reports where damp checks are made 10 - 15% can be the norm depending even on weather on the day, 20% starts a small worry, 30%+ I would think will need work, then depending on far those readings spread keep adding £'s, if any 2 readings above 20% I might be best to walk, or take at least £1000 off price

if no damp at that kind of money it should be a good place to start

on the test drive bit though, do be completely sure you have fully comp insurance if you drive it, my rule would be bump it buy it, if you were test driving mine, I am not sure that many car policies would extend to fully comp on a third party motorhome

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I would also add that on a MH that age you will doing very well not to find some damp

As suggested above, it is how far it spreads that is the most serious, a single high reading could be quite easily fixed, particularly if round a window or skylight for instance, seams or roof corners may be a different game

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chrissy61

Chrissy61

I've just bought a gin palace and plan on having as many adventures with it in the wild as I can....!!

10. TheDeckKing

The listing states the fridge doesn't work on gas. Does anyone have any experience of this, will it affect us much, is it expensive/hard to replace a fridge?

11. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Been a few threads on here lately about coaxing an old fridge back to life, basically involves removing it and tipping it upside down ! How competent are you at diy ? If you always plan on having an electric hook up it’s no biggie, but we sometimes have to put the van on gas if we park up in town for a while when exploring.

12. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Fine vans even with a few damp issues which you can get on any van especuially of that age
    Just check the condition of the d shaped wing mirror arms. They can get a bit rusty and if they deteriate they are a bugger to get or repair and it stop you using the van. Oterwise if its in your buget so go for it.
    i had an old glendale on the same base. the gear stick can be tightened up if its loose.
    Damp readings of up to 25% are deemed acceptable.

13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Crawl under the back, and check the floor where the rear tyres spray up water. Pity its not the long wheel base, with the rear lounge.
    Looks OK though for the money....
    OH, and check the clutch for 'bite', and make sure fifth gear works.(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

So it's OK on electric - so much is working.

The gas is a tiny little jet which might just need cleaning. Or it could be a thermo-couple. Not expensive, keep your fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheDeckKing

Well it wasn't in as good condition as I hoped :(
    Mechanically it was sound and looked quite good for its age too. Unfortunately the storage box on the back had been badly attached and was letting water in. The wood inside the box under the window was wet but still solid so might have been fixable but in the bathroom the walls were very spongy and you could hear the structure crunching as you pushed the wall. I think most of that had come from the shower rather than outside but there's not enough money in our budget to pay for repairs so we've walked away.
    The wife is in for surgery on Saturday so the hunting will have to go on hold for a while. Thanks for all the help and advice

16. chaser

chaser Funster

At that price, that's what you are going to find I'm afraid, that's why if you find a good one it's a bargain

17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I hope all goes well this weekend (y)

Maybe you could use some of your budget hiring a motor home out of season, make sure it is for you, trya layout for real

Keep us updated on MH and family (y)

18. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Whilst I realise you have decided against you did say that the fridge did not work on gas. In such a case get the fridge details and look online for spares to see if available. The van was 24 years old. A new 3 way fridge is way more expensive than a domestic one. Think £600 plus just so that you are aware. Dometic have now taken over Electrolux.

19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If you come across another one around that age it will probably be the sparkler that's lost it's errrrrr, spark. I had to get on my hands and knees to light ours with a hob lighter or could even be the burner blocked with rust like deposits.