What do you think? (2 Viewers)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Have paid a deposit on this van (Paypal covered) would appreciate your thoughts, was a bit worried about no feedback but having spoken to the sellers at some length I think they are ok, but can you see anything wrong?:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A gem.

Provided you scan it well for water ingress and other age related defects.

I think you would be shelling out £100K for such a van these days and probably not built as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Toxic I agree and a decent size too, Hi Brian yes looks and sounds good, Just one question is the gearbox likly to have the reverse problem of old?:thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Hi Toxic I agree and a decent size too, Hi Brian yes looks and sounds good, Just one question is the gearbox likly to have the reverse problem of old?:thumb:

Do you mean the Ducato's juddering when reversing? That happened on the next model, 2006 or 7 onwards.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I'm no expert but that looks a real nice, clean van for the age. To state the obvious, it must have been stood a while with such low mileage, just something to think about...
Good luck.:Smile:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Looks a nice van

Bought an 04 2.8 Ducato MH a few years ago with more miles on

Only problem with gearbox was seized selector, common prob - made changing gear difficult but was a cheap fix - disassemble, grease

Low mileage - most MHs are underused - expect to check (and replace)
Batteries
Discs/pads
Cambelt
Tyres - if original will have plenty of tread but cracked/damaged walls
Service

Sounds a lot but you will probably have to do some or all of the above on any MH that you buy

Always HPI check and ask how many previous owners and how long owned by seller

And ask if 2 sets of keys

Still a good buy, from the pics and description, in my opinion:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]Have paid a deposit on [/HI]this van (Paypal covered) would appreciate your thoughts, was a bit worried about no feedback but having spoken to the sellers at some length I think they are ok, but can you see anything wrong?:winky:

Looks like a tidy van , price is about right for year..

Has he agreed the sale .. ?

If so , why it is still for sale with one offer declined ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tim hope you knocked him down on price :winky:Looks nice but as already been said check everything works :thumb: and make sure the cam belt has been changed or change it ASAP :thumb:
terry
edit not sure if PP g/tee works on vehicles

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all the replies and advice much appreciated:thumb: to answer some, cambelt done, full service history, two sets of keys, 5 owners, one of the previous owners payed £600 to have the table hinged:whatthe: just got to pay for it now, ah well thats the retirement put off for another few years:Doh:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
With the address given as Brodick, North Ayrhire, which is on the Isle of Arran, this may account for the low mileage. ::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have a 02 Hymer just slightly longer but basically the same and it's without doubt the best van we've ever owned we sold a 08 and went older to get better quality. These were the last of the quality Hymers IMO the newer ones are built to a price and not the same. Should be good on fuel as well, great layout for 2, had ours nearly 4 years now and no issues, great in winter no damp ultra reliable and built like a tank.
Enjoy :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Er, this guy has no seller history at all.............:Sad: BEWARE!!

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
I wouldn't pay the rest until I was sat in it and satisfied it was genuine. Pete

Totally agree with Peter
Get HPI check done and
Do not pay another cent till you have seen it and are happy
We nearly got scammed last year by a chap in Ayrshire same thing to big for wife ? but then said had other person Interested could we pay up front ( Yeah right} and he would drive it down ?? and he then sent a paypal invoice for the full amount ,, I smelt a rat and contacted ebay and paypal !!! I cut and pasted the Invoice and sent it to paypal and was told by Paypal the Invoice was not authentic and not to pay
Very elaborate scam to say the least

Hope it all goes well and hope I'm wrong but be aware when chasing a deal
Good Luck:thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all of the advise guys it is appreciated, I've only paid a small deposit through Paypal and Ive hpi it and all is well at the mo, fingers crossed eh:Doh:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Anyone know what kind of water heater Hymers have? only Ive just noticed there is no outlet showing on the sides of the vanBroken Link Removed

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Anyone know what kind of water heater Hymers have? only Ive just noticed there is no outlet showing on the sides of the vanBroken Link Removed

I think that's the flue vent above and just in front of the toilet cassette door on the nearside. Think it's a Truma.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have paid a deposit on this van (Paypal covered)...

Don't assume PayPal gives you any security when buying a vehicle. Here is one person's experience. http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Please-DO...l-payment-for-a-CAR-/10000000001226874/g.html. This is not an isolated case.

PayPal is only safe for items being delivered by mail or courier, not for things being handed over between seller and buyer. PayPal themselves admit this although I can't find a link at the moment. But this might help as a warning. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection. This is about the risk to sellers but it highlights the point PayPal is not totally safe.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that picture is a carver cascade water heater outside cover:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Mine has a Truma and 4 others I know of the same period all have Truma.
Not sure if that helps :thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Don't assume PayPal gives you any security when buying a vehicle. Here is one person's experience. http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Please-DO...l-payment-for-a-CAR-/10000000001226874/g.html. This is not an isolated case.

PayPal is only safe for items being delivered by mail or courier, not for things being handed over between seller and buyer. PayPal themselves admit this although I can't find a link at the moment. But this might help as a warning. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection. This is about the risk to sellers but it highlights the point PayPal is not totally safe.

Thanks for that, I am well aware of the risks and have only payed what I'm prepared to lose:Doh: having spoken to the sellers at length I'm as sure as I can be that they are cosha, mind you I do have my fingers crossed:Blush:

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
As others have stated be very cautious. I was reading something on a Facebook group yesterday (Motorhome & Campervans UK) where their Swift which was for sale on EBay was cloned by someone with zero feedback and they were based up in Aberdeen...identical photos and wording.

With the advent of internet banking its possible to transfer funds while you are stood next to the person with the keys and they can see the transaction has happened and all is well.

Unfortunately there are a lot of rip off merchants out there. You may be speaking to the real seller but paying a fraudster...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thanks for that, I am well aware of the risks and have only payed what I'm prepared to lose:Doh: having spoken to the sellers at length I'm as sure as I can be that they are cosha, mind you I do have my fingers crossed:Blush:

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be a killjoy. I dont trust these MH sellers with no history at all. Every fraud has been set up on ebay by peeps with no previous selling history, hence my 'beware' message. They are constantly working out ways of getting your cash, even taking pictures of other peoples vans, and using them in their adverts. :Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good luck with the deal have you worked out how to collect it yet? Assuming the van has a towbar you could just drive up and "A" frame the car back, cheaper than the train etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be a killjoy. I dont trust these MH sellers with no history at all. Every fraud has been set up on ebay by peeps with no previous selling history, hence my 'beware' message. They are constantly working out ways of getting your cash, even taking pictures of other peoples vans, and using them in their adverts. :Sad:

No please don't apologize Tootles, I am more than happy to take on board all advice and warnings, in fact the more the better and I'll be back on here for more advise on how to get the bastards back if it all goes tits up:Doh:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
good luck with the deal have you worked out how to collect it yet? Assuming the van has a towbar you could just drive up and "A" frame the car back, cheaper than the train etc.

Thanks for the luck Wildman I may need it :Doh: as for collection no a frame so I'm still trying to work out the best way, probly take my Dad with me to drive the car back:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back