obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Good friends of mine have purchased a really nice looking Hymer A class that they got for a very very good price, the reason for which I can't go in to here. But I mean a GOOD price.
Anyhoo, they have had a habitation report done and it is not good news. Apparently the damp meter went berserk in the front cabin area, 70% on one side, 40% on the other probably caused by a bodge repair in the past.
The quote is £3k for the repair, windscreen out, side windows out and dash removed.
They don't know I have posted this, I am just asking what people think of the cost.
( I know it should have been done before the purchase...blah blah blah ). Kev.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
don't understand this..
apart from the dashboard shelf, there is no wood or other moisture holding materials in the front of the Hymer body

not saying there can't be water ingress, but how can it cost £3k to reseal and dry it out ?

OP
OP
obanvanman

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
My thoughts entirely. Apparently they removed a side panel and showed them the damaged wood ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Dashboard shelf is just plywood (12mm ?)
Using the old one as a template, replacement should be straight forward...

I would be inclined to send some photographs to Pete Hambilton and get a second opinion

Link Removed

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Dashboard shelf is just plywood (12mm ?)
Using the old one as a template, replacement should be straight forward...

I would be inclined to send some photographs to Pete Hambilton and get a second opinion

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apparently it is the dashboard shelf that needs replacing.

common job on older Hymers.... as said, it's only a sheet of plywood .. easy job for a competent DIYer.... dealer maybe £500

when I did the rooflight there were small blocks of hardwood between the skins for the trim screws to screw into.. maybe the same on the side panel ?

like to see photos before making further comment ..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Who did the habitation report, did they by any chance have their own workshop and are they only used to working on British built flimsies and not a properly screwed together Hymer ??

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Can't speak for a Hymer, but our Benimar had serious damp in overhead front locker area. Had to take the whole lot out and start from scratch. Took me three weeks, cos I work full time, but cost was £75 for materials. But you have to start with the source of the ingress to stop any further getting in.

Keith :cool:

OP
OP
obanvanman

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Hi Keith, Apparently the source was dealt with correctly, but it trapped all of the water when it was done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back