What do you put in roof top boxes? (1 Viewer)

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
So, we don't have one, we can get one but....

We go on short breaks and max two weeks away.

We all need more storage but what can possibly go up there that is not a pain to keep climbing to get frequently?

I know many long term travellers will have van spares and stock for many weeks away but for two weeks max is there any point to having one?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used to brick myself climbing up on the roof to access my box. Don't have one now and can manage on 12 week trips...BUSBY:):):)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Only very light things.
Kitchen rolls , toilet rolls, empty containers to have water in the van in case of a faulty pump.
A huge rucksack to take my things (the most important ones of course) with me if Max has to go on a trailer and I have to go to a hotel. Petrol can ....empty!
And once I have put 2 kgs of instant cafe Carte Noire for JJ .
Amicalement
Frankie:cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we did have a top box we kept all the chairs and tables in it..
But after some experimentation removed the thing and gained a fair bit better MPG.. never had one on since

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I was co spidering getting a rear box fitted to hold things like tables and chairs for outside but really for just the two of us we have plenty space on board and when we take the kids we have to take a car as well anyway..

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
When we had our Dorado RV we had a top box.we used to keep all the stuff we convinced ourselves were essentials and never used :LOL::LOL: in my opinion a complete waste of time.
Brian & Jo

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Immigrants ?

Like Brian we filled ours with "essentials" we never used. Difficult to get all the stuff up and down being careful not to damage the roof , so tended to leave it up there. Better to buy a your "essentials" and find a Moho to fit them in, or buy a Moho and then only take what you can carry in the factory fitted storage, or if you really need more space tow a small trailer, least it will be better for your fuel economy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never had one, wouldnt even consider getting one.

Most motorhomes have the aerodynamics of a house brick so why add yet another slab fronted box to cause even more air resistance.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think it would be ideal place for the telescopic ladder and other heavy items.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
There was already one fitted to our 'van when we bought it. We also have a fixed ladder on the back of the 'van. The top-box opened on the opposite side to the ladder! We took it off and sold it. Never regretted it.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Crap really, stuff you convince yourself is essential but can never be bothered to climb the ladder to get to, so nowhere near essential.

In my defence it was there when we bought her.

Hymie.

Deleted User
The more storage you get, the more junk you take with you (you merely expand into the available space)

We've just downsized and have left half a bedrooms worth of "crap" in the house.

6 weeks into a 3 month French trip and we've not missed any of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back