What do you drive?

Discussion in 'Wild Camping' started by Haloze, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

I bought our MH while dreaming of wild camping, after buying it I realised it is not really suitable IMO. It has front wheel drive and is very low to the ground. Years ago my one and only van was a very old LT45 convertible with 4WD and twin wheels at the back. I did not buy it because of this as I had no idea what I was buying it was pure pot luck.. I just assumed every MH would have 4WD.

Yes, silly.. I know that now!

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We dont bother with FWD. If the van gets stuck, I just put a rope around the wife, and dangle a £100 Marks and Spencer voucher in front of her. Works every time.......:)(y)

• Like Like x 16
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

or reverse out of trouble, making the van rear wheel drive

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Doesn't work mate..........Think about it.........:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

got me out of a fair few slippery spots over the years by reversing out gently. mind you, the latest ducato/boxer slips on wet grass like it was ice

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Always best to pull off sticky ground in 2nd, and reverse is two gears lower..........:)

7. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Don't get. your self stuck in the first place. (Truckers know best)

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

An RMB does not have 4 wheel drive, but what it does have is twin rear wheel drive with dif lock. Just as good (y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Got me out of a couple too..........and sorry Toots I'm with Big Yin on this it does work! SO THERE!!!!!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Reversing (slowly) got me out also

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Tractive effort provided by a driven wheel relies on the coefficient of friction between the wheel and ground, plus the force being applied between the said wheel and ground.
    More force equals more friction equals more tractive effort.
    Coefficient of friction is increased by the suitability of the tyre to the ground conditions.
    However, in soft ground, this is not the only consideration. Step climbing ability is of equal importance. A small diameter wheel will not climb out of a rut as easily as a large diameter wheel.
    Therefore, regarding overall tractive effort, going backwards in a fwd vehicle makes no difference. However, retracing your tracks does not require any step climbing and the vehicles rolling resistance decreases considerably. This give the impression that going backwards in a fwd vehicle makes it a rwd one!

It does not, however, and the best vehicle for soft ground is one with very large wheels and with the majority of the weight on its driven wheels. In other words, a tractor!

In the absence of a tractor, a rwd dual wheel transit is a good compromise! The most weight is on the driven wheels, giving best tractive effort and the dual wheels reduce ground pressure, reduce rut depth and mitigate the need for step climbing ability!

Get a Fiat, get stuck!

Get a rwd Transit, don't!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Driver skill and control, weight distribution and suspension play a large part here to.
    I used to drive 4wd vehicles at lot in one of my jobs. Land Rover lent us one of their TD5 Discoveries once, it had quite worn low profile tyres on alloy wheels and an auto gearbox. It managed to get me up and down a mud covered chalk lane with ease when one of our tough Japanese 4x4's with chunky tyres got stuck.
    I was so impressed, I bought a Discovery myself.
    Allan

13. Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited. Funster

Sounds like Tootles gets a lot of oooomff from the M&S voucher, me thinks I shall take some of those with us when next we go away.

Thanks for the tip.
    Mike.P
    Sunsets Unlimited

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sunsets Unlimited.

Getting stuck in a previous life, even with cross-locks, diff-locks and 2 drive axles with 8 wheels at the rear, was once an occupational hazard.! So,,, I gave up the day job and went motor-homing.! Never looked back since.!

Now a days, If it looks sticky, I stay well clear.

Viva Fiat Ducato Auto-trail 840D.!!!!!!

Reminds me of a Lady I used to know. Lovely bodywork, "long legs" (that means it pulls well in top gear) and is extremely smooth when the going gets bumpy. (that's because of the 3 axles and weight distribution don't your know). (hope any lady readers don't find my evaluation of our bus sexist)

Mike. :wasntme:
    Sunsets Unlimited. :coolest:

15. Sunsets Unlimited.

In my estimation the 3 axle'd Auto-trails must be one of the best motor-homes on the market. Ours has the 3 ltr engine with the auto(electronic) box and drives extremely well. We "A Frame" a Matiz, and if it wasn't for seeing the towed vehicle shadow behind us occasionally, I would know it was there. Comfort level is good and as with most Buses of today, it has every thing on board Pauline and myself need.

Maybe I should put it like this,,, Space, Pace and Grace.! :wasntme: :happy:

Mike.

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's interesting. It might be similar to why slick tyres work very well in dry sand. The weight of the vehicle pressing down on the dry sand effectively makes the sand go solid below the tyre. The tyre then just grips because of the friction between the smooth rubber and the sand. Tyres with tread also do this but if they start slipping the tread starts to dig a hole, which is why tyres designed for sand generally have radially grooves in them but very few going across the tyre as these just become spades.

Many a tourist has been rescued in the desert by being pulled out by a local vehicle with bald tyres. They are useless in the wet of course.

My Ducato has Traction+ which stops one front wheel spinning at the expense of the other. It works in that on a couple of occasions on my recent Spanish trip I had both wheels spinning together on sand instead of one!

• Like Like x 1
  17. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Hmm... methinks this is the answer I've been searching for - I must be bumpy because of my faulty weight distribution!
    [don't worry, maybe a bit sexist but not offensive]

18. Sunsets Unlimited.

Me too,

My weight distribution is not what it used to be. Some-thing to-do with me age I think. Perhaps its a mis-spent youth, too much sex,drugs and Rock'n Roll. Or maybe just too much boooooooze. Hick.! :giggler:

Mike

19. Sunsets Unlimited.

Me thinks me could spend all day here, but me must be off. I have to finish the hoovering, have a tidy up, get dinner ready, have shower and shave, and all before the little lady arrives home. Hard life, but then somebody has to do it I suppose.! Phewwwwww.

Have a nice one.!

Mike.
    Sunsets Unlimited :coolest:

20. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

we use ours for our hobby and always on grass wet or dry and sometimes mud so it has to be RWD Iveco, Merc or transit

• Like Like x 1