What do we want a UK aire and how much to pay?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by philk, May 7, 2012.

1. philk

philk

At the weekend, we stayed here http://www.lakesidecaravans.co.uk/
    The site is lovely and has room for 7 or 8 motorhomes, with access to waste empty, fresh water and pot wash/loos if we want to.

So the question is this, do we prefer to pay a lower rate, say £10, with access to all amenities or do we prefer £6/£7 and waste/fresh only?

Philk

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We prefer the latter.
    I think sites should charge each unit whether it be tent MH or caravan , for the electric they use too. That way the ones that use lots pay more than the ones that use hardly any .
    They should also charge for the wash rooms , kitchen areas , everything extra to the bit of ground your put on .

We dont use any of them , just water and waste, so it would make it so much cheaper :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

are you a little confused. many airres in france are free. you only pay for leccy and or water . some you pay just a nominal amount say 2-3 quid . thats enough.
    we talk about the ones that have free leccy .we will never get them and the autthority here wont believe us anyway.
    if we offer the idea of paying more then they will charge more . aim low then it could be adjusted if need be. but mainly aim for a quid .

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Fully agree, but then us RV owners would be accused of fiddling the meter.........thats a big 'un, so must need its own power station.

not so, but site owners cant see that.

everything on mine is 12v or gas, except the aircon (like we need that in the UK :Doh:) Microwave and charger/converter

the charger draws 760w (3.3amps) at full power.

• Like Like x 2
  5. patyogi

patyogi Read Only Funster

Civilized

Go too France, villages are beautiful, aires are free, wine is tre decent...bonus, nobody wants to rip you off for parking in their village.

You can even visit museums & monuments without paying for parking, mein gott, what is the world coming to. Then again it's NOT rip-off Britain and the sun shines. :shout:

• Like Like x 4
  6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I think it needs to be a balance.

If they charge too much, you may as well stay in a motel, if you charge too little then there is no incentive for the owner, he must make something out of it..

I don't like the tariff where you have so many options, I would far prefer a standard charge, two people motorhome, no leccy but with toilet and water say between £6-10.

Normally we do not use EHU as we have sufficient solar etc.

I also like the idea of pub stopovers where you can park for free as long as you buy a meal, thats fair as far as I can see.

Anything over £10 (without EHU) would have to be something special.

• Like Like x 4
  7. philk

philk

how much to pay

This is a real option rather than me being confused Alan. i spoke at length with the owners, the conversation starting because there were 29 caravans paying £19 per night all in and just the one motorhome. So I suggested and he was amenable to it, that they put aside some of the hard standing and suggested, from the hip, the two options I had in my opening post. Pay by use meters are a not-starter as the cost of install can never be recouped so its cheaper to charge a flat fee.

I understand the views about France and I agree and love the place, but in the UK we just don't have enough options. This is a place seven miles from Lincoln and if it was £6 or £7 I would use it and would use similar.

Phil

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

it was just your use of airres that seemed confusing . you really mean just a basic campsite . remember these at the moment would be controlled by the regulations that already exst. best not mix them with airres. different thing altogether. many in france etc there is no charge if you dont use anything just park. isnt that really what we need here.

9. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

£5 to £7 per night with somewhere to get water/empty waste would be OK.
    We regularly use a place thats £3 a night to park but no water etc.

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

We already have thm all over the country. They are called Cls. We use them top up with water and dump waste and get charged £5-£7 per night. :Smile:

In fact we have a lovely one not more than 4 miles from home alongside a canal with great walks.

If you approach a £8-10 per night cl with electric and say will ou knock a couple if pound off if you dont plug in you might be surprised at what they say.

As for all the aires in France? More and more and more are charging something. The better the location the more they are charging. In our 8 years of touring France in a Motorhome we have seen a steady increase in the rate for aires, especially as motormoaners are going over more and more mags like mmm are
    Publishing tips on them :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Even a few more lay-bys would be welcome - and not just the ones right next to the road - dangerous, noisy and uncomfortable.

Aires as such will never catch on - unlike France we just don't have enough land - and locals would be terrified that they would be taken over by travellers. For the same reason we cannot use many carparks because of height barriers.

Pub owners should make it known if they are happy for us to use their carparks - a simple sign - a motorhome symbol like those used in France for instance.

I know there are sites that show pubs that allow motorhomers but if each pub could decide for itself and just put up a sign it would help both the pub and us - nothing organised - just put up a sign!

If nothing is done we'll just have to France more often where we are made welcome - and spend our money there

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the daft bit is if you fulltime you arent really wanted by the two main clubs .this came up the other day on motorhome 365.i actually emailed both clubs about it .
    the caravan club have come back first and say they only accept members with a permanent residential address.
    i take thec&cc.arent even botherted about answering.
    i do have a permenant address so very often ask questions on behalf of the 365ers.
    at least proper aires arent worried so long as you dont stay too long. mind have known a few where you can stop indefinately sans limmit.

13. philk

philk

what price to pay

Alan,

I see your point. My line of thinking is this, yes we have cls, but if we can increase the number of choices available to us, would that not be a good thing? If so, how much to pay and for what and thats where I started.

This site, and others like it, run 365 unlike many cls, so maybe its worth a think

Philk

• Like Like x 1
  14. DP_JAY

I agree with the comment about spending our money but the problem with the pub sign thing is how are you going to find them?

The simplest way to kick start the Aires system over here would be for councils to make it part of the planning consent for supermarkets etc, to provide Aires.
    Just parking for 10 motorhomes, water & waste points.Simple.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes worth a try .but its still not an airre. not knocking your idea . and i see some sites as out of bounds for some.

16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Huge site Tattershall lakes can be as little as £7 a night including leccy

17. philk

philk

uk aires

Bloody hek Jay, great thinking, but have you ever tried getting planners to do something thats normal let alone think outside the box. That said I love your idea.

Because of service points on club sites and cls, we are slowly getting places to stay.
    I have spoken to people who have used pubs and heard a few stories of late night stragglers knocking on the side of vans, as drunken idiots would. Most independent campsites would welcome some extra income and I think we can provide some of it.

Philk

18. DP_JAY

Just think if all the out of town shopping areas provided an aire:RollEyes:
    Arrive in the evening when the car park is empty,fill up withwater & spend the night- safe&legal.Then in the morning get your shopping/fuel/gas etc. all in one place and on your way. I can dream can't I?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Local shopping centre has just put height barriers at 2.1m

20. maz

maz Funster

For me, I do not want or need a shower/toilet block. I much prefer to be as self-contained as possible - that's why I have a van with a nice washroom. :Smile: Take on water, empty waste and bin rubbish - that's what I want.

In the summer, I generally don't want EHU - solar panels and back-up generator see me through. In the winter, I do want EHU. So I need to be able to choose whether I pay extra for EHU or not.

And, of course, I want to pay as little as possible ......... :Wink: