What do we HAVE to take (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tap adaptors for the hose and if you want to be really prepared get a half inch male to male hozelock adaptor. I've only needed one once and that was on a French aire. Perhaps not essential but you can feel really smug watching others turn up and be unable to connect their hoses!

Would also endorse the idea of a ground sheet, we use a breathable one from GoOutdoors. Being breathable water doesn't puddle on it when it rains. Particularly good for sandy pitches. We also have a rubber door mat which is good when you don't want to deploy the ground sheet.

Only trouble with a breathable sheet is that when it rains hard and the ground underneath turns to mush it squeezes through the groundsheet. I always put a cheap tarp underneath.BUSBY.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Only trouble with a breathable sheet is that when it rains hard and the ground underneath turns to mush it squeezes through the groundsheet. I always put a cheap tarp underneath.BUSBY.

likewise..

the breathable is nice in summer on a grass pitch..

I've seen pitches that have been fully 'carpeted' in horticultural plastic sheet .. which there is no shortage of in Spain.. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Passport

Also good satnav, the books " all the aires" or similar.

Light weight drip dry clothing if going in the summer.

Insect repellant - Smidge for me.

Books, you can never have too many, phrase books, dictionary, guide books.

Maps - the laminated Michelin atlas is good and the Michelin Zoom maps if you want to look at an area in detail for cycling or walking.

Campsite and Aires info - Vicarious guide, camper contact app etc.

Prepaid card such as Caxton or credit like the Halifax Clarity card.

EHIC card.

Breakdown and medical insurance.

Three "feel at home" sim card or similar.

Unless you have specific foods you cannot live without, why carry any more extra food than you need, especially heavy liquids. We usually carry a few tins of meals, in case we should outstay available food.
Alcohol is much cheaper overseas, so not worth carrying.
Fresh food is best bought when you want it from local stores.
We carry sun creams, shampoo's and other everyday items. Lidl's, Aldi and other supermarkets carry all of the familiar goods you buy at home.
all our documents scanned and copied , kept seperate.

Halve your planned mileage, halve your planned "necessary" equipment, double your spending money
  • In France, don't forget priority to the right in towns (unless you can see that the joining road has a solid white line or stop sign). They have a habit of pulling out as a matter of course, particularly in the larger towns.
  • The same applies on minor country roads where a junction is indicated by a diagonal cross (Saltire). The road to the right has priority. If a vertical cross then you are generally on the major road.
  • In towns, pedestrians have the right to cross in front of traffic. They have to give a clear indication that they are about to step-off. This right does not apply if there is an adjacent pedestrian crossing.
  • Hi vis vest for driver and every passenger. Must be able to put them on before exiting the vehicle so don't keep them in the garage or an outside locker.
    Warning triangle
    Spare bulb set.
    First aid kit
    Beam deflectors for your lights
    Breathalysers. Technically compulsory but no penalties are issued if you don't because the French as a nation have collectively refused to carry them.
  • these items , i photocopy & keep copies handy , originals in my safe hidden in van( plus passport)
  • Driving licence
    Insurance certificate
    V5C
  • Two pin adaptor for the EHU.
    Reverse polarity tester kit, save blowing fuse on the control panel as some electrical points in france not all wired correct .
    Broken Link Removed
Remember when approaching a town or village the town/village name sign is the speed limit start & when ends when exiting T or V sign with lines thru. they are quite strict !!!!!

Don't do what I did on my first trip , on first trip to an aire, I bought several jetons ( coins for water/ electric) thinking that they would be handy for all the other aires on our trip . Nope each aire has a different jeton, so I still have 3 jetons after 7/8 trips to france which don't fit any other aires.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
Unquote.

Agreed, you do still need to carry one.....but why bother, theres is no penalty for not having one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back