WHAT DID YOU GET FOR 10K

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Aussietraveller, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller Read Only Funster

I am in the process of buying my first motorhome and have about 10K to spend.

I would love to see pics of what people have bought for round the same price.

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Have you a rough idea what size you are after, number of berths?

3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

[​IMG]

then this

[​IMG]

Not our actual vehicles but similar.

The Hi-Ace cost £6K in the min-bus configuration and we built the kitchen unit that fitted into the back. We had her for many years and she was scrapped when parts were no longer available. The kitchen area just lifted out when we needed to use it as a mini-bus. No loo in the Hi-Ace :)

The Hymer cost £8K ish and sold for slightly more when we had to sell it due to a house move and nowhere to store it. Last time I checked she was SORNed so is still around.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller Read Only Funster

I like the Hymer did you do much travelling in it?

how did you find it for day to day use when away ?

We are after at least a 4berth as we wont to do about 6 months around Europe in it with my wife and 2yr son , so a little bit more room the better , but also would like to keep under 6 metres as a lot of people have said it would cut costs when travelling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The Hymer was wonderful. It was petrol so a bit expensive to run at 20 mpg on a good day. Once on site it tended to stay there as it wasn't easy to take for a jaunt to the supermarket.

We used it as a base when one of our children was kayaking at international level so it went round France quite a few times as well as the UK :) That (now grown up) child no longer kayaks although the others do.

It was great to drive even though it was long - but it slept 6 with ease and in great comfort.

Our current van is much shorter and also has a fixed bed. I'm not sure which layout I prefer to be honest. The overcab drop down bed on the Hymer I found difficult to push up, I never did acquire the knack of doing it. The rear lounge was huge and very sociable and I miss it - but I would also miss the garage on our present van if we did have a rear lounge. It's always a compromise.

We bought the Hymer in about 1997 or 1998 (??) from memory. We did do a lot of work on the engine. The original invoice for it when new was with the documentation and it had cost the original owners over £50,000 new in 1982.

6. chaser

chaser Funster

It's a dodgy price range, you can either get the bargain of a life time or one that's seriously over priced. There are loads about around the 5grand mark that are good enough for anything but then again lots of people with a dodgy one wanting 10 grand for the same thing. But on the other hand if you find someone who is desperate to sell a 15 grand one they may just take your ten.
    I know it sounds vague but that's how the mh market is,it's definitely buyer beware.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

image.jpg We paid three grand for this one , took us around france , pisa and down into spain, then sold it for the same money(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sorry, no pics that I can find, but we paid £8k for our second van ( the first was less but it was a real horror !)
    It was a 1988/89 seven berth Hobby with 50k miles on her. A German import, fully decked out apart from a sat system.
    Absolutely immaculate inside and out apart from some stone chips on the bonnet

There are LOADS of great bargains on older vans coming from Germany due to the cost of running them there ( something about higher road tax or some such.. canna remember though )

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

There is lots around at 10k -more a case of looking and making your mind up as in size and layout -My own van cost me a shade over 10k a good 8 yrs back -Still got and use her and come a couple of mths she will be advertised for sale (for sale now but not advertised) and I hope to get close-ish to the 10k I paid -of course what I hope for and actually get may well be two different things :D
    terry
    upload_2015-1-12_11-11-24.png upload_2015-1-12_11-11-24.png

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Seven k got us this. $(KGrHqJHJEkFIgvq3iVPBSLk4ol-Fg~~60_57.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Hi Aussietraveller... Terry who posted his 10k-sh van, is a well known chap on this site, so
    is reliable.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

How much did he slip you then Mitch ?
    I got offered a tenner and a half used tube of sikaflex to say nice things.. ;)

Seriously though, if Terry has something for sale you can bet it will be top notch kit

• Like Like x 2
  14. Daifuse

Daifuse

I bought an F plate Merc based Autotrail Chieftain, 7 berth for £4K four years ago. Used it for a couple of years touring the UK - it was rather slow but it helped us decide exactly what we wanted in a M/H. It was lots of fun and did what was required until we found our present Cheyenne.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I got a "COMPLETE" tube of stickyflex !! :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Typical.. and mine was past its sell by date too :sick:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

We need to look at STICKY STUFF apparently it's very very sticky with excellent grab -will be replacing the out of date stuff ;)
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  18. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

A very tacky thread !!

• Like Like x 3
  19. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Welcome to the "lunatic asylum" Aussietraveller. !!!! And good luck with your eventual purchase..

• Like Like x 1
  20. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

You may have noticed it's hard to keep things on topic round here...

I looked extensively for a new motorhome last year and had arranged finance for 8k (so admittedly a little less)

Everything I looked at was either on its last legs or so old the spec was diabolical.

I actually did better by not using the finance and going for a much lower budget.

Dealers round here seem to be uninterested in having anything on their forecourts under 12k. Private sellers have very unrealistic expectations of what value their beloved motorhomes have.

I used Ebay and Autotrader to hunt down the deals. I wasn't a member of FUN then but if I was I would have posted my findings on here for advice.

Mind you I think the advice would have been to steer clear due to the issues with registration and insurance but that's a different story :)

• Like Like x 1