Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Ok it's white!

So I know it's an enamel kinda finish and looks difficult to touch up, but I have a couple of little annoying bits that couldn't look any worse if I had a go at them.

Was hoping I might be able to match it with something from Halfords maybe?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I would just go and look at the touch up selection in Halfords and find the nearest one to match, rather than use the manufactures colour (if you can find it).
I`ve been wanting to smarten up my front bumper where the laquer has peeled off. A thread on here gave codes / names for the grey colour but Halfords system couldn`t find a match so I went down the isle and found a colour on the shelf that seems to be an excellent match after a test spray.
I`ve not done the job yet, waiting to find the time to do it !
By the way, upon looking into this I realised that the front bumper is a different grey to the rear bumper and they are both different to the grey bits on the sides and I believe all are original finishes, so shade match not so critical really as I`d never noticed before.
I`ve matched it up the the rear which was slightly darker than the front.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our local motor factors, Bolsover M1 J29a, so not a very long distance from you, match paint by comparing colour cards then mix to match

I would guess others do the same, ours is called Auto Supplies if that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I would just go and look at the touch up selection in Halfords and find the nearest one to match, rather than use the manufactures colour (if you can find it).
I`ve been wanting to smarten up my front bumper where the laquer has peeled off. A thread on here gave codes / names for the grey colour but Halfords system couldn`t find a match so I went down the isle and found a colour on the shelf that seems to be an excellent match after a test spray.
I`ve not done the job yet, waiting to find the time to do it !
By the way, upon looking into this I realised that the front bumper is a different grey to the rear bumper and they are both different to the grey bits on the sides and I believe all are original finishes, so shade match not so critical really as I`d never noticed before.
I`ve matched it up the the rear which was slightly darker than the front.

I was going to try the 'best match' approach at Halfords. It's just a couple of small scratches where the dark base coat is showing through so anything even almost matching would look better. I have the same on my front bumper but not enough to bother with just now; it's from stone chips chipping the lacquer and then possibly moisture getting underneath. I found that good old WD40 would creep under through the chip and almost made it disappear! What vehicle/colour code was the paint you got for your bumper by the way?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was going to try the 'best match' approach at Halfords. It's just a couple of small scratches where the dark base coat is showing through so anything even almost matching would look better. I have the same on my front bumper but not enough to bother with just now; it's from stone chips chipping the lacquer and then possibly moisture getting underneath. I found that good old WD40 would creep under through the chip and almost made it disappear!
Probably best not to put wd40 on as it will stop the paint sticking especially if its creeping under the lacquer. If they are small chips and a lacquered finish why not pet some clear lacguer on top to stabilise it until you get the paint? (but thats just my guess!!)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Probably best not to put wd40 on as it will stop the paint sticking especially if its creeping under the lacquer. If they are small chips and a lacquered finish why not pet some clear lacguer on top to stabilise it until you get the paint? (but thats just my guess!!)

That's probably a very good idea, although to be honest the WD40 only does a temporary job as it dries out after about a month. My front bumper is not that bad yet though to warrant any drastic action. I tried the WD40 after reading somewhere about it's ability to make scuffs and light scratches vanish. I've used it on my car and the MH and it does work but only a temp fix especially if much sun on it...so actually lasts months in the UK ;)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Dave and Ginny

This was the info posted on another thread

The colour of the front bumper is called Hymer Graumetallic A 9233. It is a special colour that can only be obtained from a Hymer dealer.
But.....
Hymer Graumetallic A 9233 and BMW salmon-silver metallic paint (RAL9007) is supposed to be quite similar.
Regarding the colours we can tell you that at the front and the rear bumper the colour is „Citroen gris dolmen“ and at the side „NCS S 7000-N“.

That info was of no help in Halfords, they couldn`t identify it from that description. So I chose Rover Steel Grey off the shelf with a grey base primer and clear laquer finish. I did a test spray and looks good. Slightly darker than the existing front bumper but almost identical to the rear.
All I need now is some time and some fine weather to do it !
Hope this helps you.
Chris

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just went to local car spares shop and got a white touch up pen had to pick between the different whites but managed to get one near enough as makes no difference then after a day or two went over it with a scratch removing cream and polished up afterwards can't even see the join although they were only a couple of very small scratches.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just blown in some scrapes on my rear corner moulding, Fiat White was a perfect match.
According to Hymer the GRP front moulding is Carrara White there isn't a paint code for it.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the hint's tips and advice...I'll go visit Halfords when we're back home again.

Thanks (y)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'd guess your all sorted now but my brother manages a big car body shop and I asked him the same question. They "simply" run a spectrograph test on the paint and hey presto, perfect match!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ok it's white!

So I know it's an enamel kinda finish and looks difficult to touch up, but I have a couple of little annoying bits that couldn't look any worse if I had a go at them.

Was hoping I might be able to match it with something from Halfords maybe?
Very old thread, yes but worth a search after a little run in with an artic wing mirror exiting a roundabout on the way to the Norfolk show.
A 50/50 incident, so they’ll sort out their wing mirror and I’ll sort out the scuffs and missing paint. The window is frosted so shouldn’t be such a problem to rub down.
C54D12E5-1A91-470B-AC01-E8408B81E130.jpeg

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just blown in some scrapes on my rear corner moulding, Fiat White was a perfect match.
According to Hymer the GRP front moulding is Carrara White there isn't a paint code for it.
Lenny, need to have our Hymer B684 2019 model bonnet sprayed or ‘wrapped’.
Do you think a few cans of Fiat white would sort it or best left to the experts. Zero experience spraying. Wrapping is looking expensive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, need to have our Hymer B684 2019 model bonnet sprayed or ‘wrapped’.
Do you think a few cans of Fiat white would sort it or best left to the experts. Zero experience spraying. Wrapping is looking expensive.
The bonnet is GRP so it would need the correct primer, I reckon I could do it with can but it would take care and patience. One problem you might find is arfter spraying the bonnet will look whiter than the rest of the front end which I'll have yellowed but you should be able to cut that back.
The best result would be to have the front end sprayed and that's going to be expensive.

What's actually wrong with your bonnet?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The bonnet is GRP so it would need the correct primer, I reckon I could do it with can but it would take care and patience. One problem you might find is arfter spraying the bonnet will look whiter than the rest of the front end which I'll have yellowed but you should be able to cut that back.
The best result would be to have the front end sprayed and that's going to be expensive.

What's actually wrong with your bonnet?
A real mess. Dull, blotchy and yellow showing through. Also I had a ceramic treatment when new.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
That probably explains it you are not supposed to use ceramic treatments on GRP.
That's a more than a slightly worrying thought particularly as the whole front is GRP!
Also a bit confused as just had a quick google and it seems to be common practice. Will dig a bit deeper as somebody should have advised if it you were not supposed to do this. Lenny yours must also be the same bonnet type as mine - GRP or am I getting my materials mixed up??

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
GRP is what most people refer to as fibre glass, Glass Reinforced Plastic to give it its full name.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
GRP is what most people refer to as fibre glass, Glass Reinforced Plastic to give it its full name.

Would GRP be finished in gel coat, I was under the impression the hymer bonnets are painted rather than gel?

If it is gel coat I refer back to my earlier suggestion of trying meguiars rv49

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Gel coat is the first element of the panel that is put in the mould when being made (laid up), it is what gives the colour and smooth shiny surface to the panel, the fibres and resin are then applied by hand or machine as sheet material or sprayed.
Can't comment on Hymer panels as have no knowledge of them.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Lenny yours must also be the same bonnet type as mine - GRP or am I getting my materials mixed up?
Yes it is GRP, ours is the same van and at just over 3 yrs old it’s yellowing all ready I did a clean up with 3m gel coat restorer but it hasn’t got all the yellowing out and you need to be careful not to rub down to far I then gave it a polish with Autoglym resin polish then a coat of colonite wax 😊

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yes it is GRP, ours is the same van and at just over 3 yrs old it’s yellowing all ready I did a clean up with 3m gel coat restorer but it hasn’t got all the yellowing out and you need to be careful not to rub down to far I then gave it a polish with Autoglym resin polish then a coat of wax 😊
I think it’s going to be a respay or a wrap for me. Very miffed it has been an issue - quality control issue.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think it’s going to be a respay or a wrap for me. Very miffed it has been an issue - quality control issue.
Yes I have to say I’m disappointed with the GRP finish on my van😥 from what I see there are lots around with the same problem🤔

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough

For the sake of £15 to try the renovator and a 5 minute test to see if it’s worth while I would give it a go, made a massive difference to the discoloured/dull gel coat sections on mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back