browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Work has been progressing, just got the new carpet to put in and the seats are being recovered by an upholsterer as we speak, he's also making curtains.

So just the replacement carver 2 to go in, fit the tv and ps2 (just for watching dvd's honest!) and then I am going to turn my efforts to the outside. A friend of mine has offered to help me spray paint the cab. But what colour should I paint it? My gut feeling is to go with a slightly off white tractor (ford I think) this should be slightly tougher than regular car paint and is easy to spray with just thinners. But then I have a couple of stripes on the coachbuilt body and I might be tempted to go with a coloured cab.

If I wanted to paint the coachbuilt aluminium body then how would I go about doing that? With a roller maybe?

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Surely it must be painted Brown(e):ROFLMAO:

Yeah yeah, anything would be better than the seventies light brown that it is now!

A previous owner thought it would be a great idea to plaster it in Cat stickers seeing as the registration says is C***CAT! Took me 2 hours with a hair dryer to try and remove them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, how very timely :thumb: no doubt I will get shot down in flames :ROFLMAO: but I have had very good results doing exactly what you suggest :thumb: I sprayed the cab with smooth hammerite (white) 10 % thinners and roller-ed the dimpled back with it thinned 60/40thinners :thumb:The guy who bought it even remarked how nice and shiny the paintwork was ::bigsmile:
:hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:
I am going to spray this van shortly :ROFLMAO:weather permitting- but I have yet to decide on 2 part mix or synthetic paint :winky: perhaps a proper paint man will give his opinion which way I should go :thumb: all I know for sure is I cannot fit it into my garage so it will have to be sprayed on the drive ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Can we see it, got any pics:thumb::thumb:

Here is the picture before I took the stickers off. I might leave the blue stripes or retouch them. Or paint stripes of a different colour then paint the cab the same colour, not really sure what would look best. I did see one with a pale blue cab but then the inside of the doors would look funny. So probably white.

Attachments

• cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, how very timely :thumb: no doubt I will get shot down in flames :ROFLMAO: but I have had very good results doing exactly what you suggest :thumb: I sprayed the cab with smooth hammerite (white) 10 % thinners and roller-ed the dimpled back with it thinned 60/40thinners :thumb:The guy who bought it even remarked how nice and shiny the paintwork was ::bigsmile:
:hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:
I am going to spray this van shortly :ROFLMAO:weather permitting- but I have yet to decide on 2 part mix or synthetic paint :winky: perhaps a proper paint man will give his opinion which way I should go :thumb: all I know for sure is I cannot fit it into my garage so it will have to be sprayed on the drive ::bigsmile:
terry

Was the back part an aluminium coachbuilt body? Do you think I would be able to roller paint that with smoothrite?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Was the back part an aluminium coachbuilt body? Do you think I would be able to roller paint that with smoothrite?

Yes it had a smooth ali body which had very small dimples -like a roller would leave,same as a emulsion wall- so I simply rubbed it down :thumb: masked it up and cut in with a 1 ins paint brush then got going with a 9 ins and 4 ins roller (mate and I ) Did not think I could have got it smooth enough for spraying all over.If using Hammerite The big tip is to try and not go up and down (may be once :winky:) a lot, simply try to go down once and leave :thumb:We also warmed the paint up on the gas ring before spraying it :thumb:
PS it was touch dry inside an hour
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just seen your picture :thumb: It may be easier to spray paint the lot :thumb:
terry

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Here is the picture before I took the stickers off. I might leave the blue stripes or retouch them. Or paint stripes of a different colour then paint the cab the same colour, not really sure what would look best. I did see one with a pale blue cab but then the inside of the doors would look funny. So probably white.

I see what you mean about the cats:Doh:, Yep I think white will look best, Hope your doing pics as you go so we can have a nose:thumb: look foreward to seeing the finished job:thumb:

Tim

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
you will be better off spraying with 2 pack car paint
i have just resprayed mine i sprayed it in the same colour as the fiat ducato cab
i used to have my own business sprayshop and mot station
make sure you do the preparations correctly or you will be wasting your money

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i have just resprayed mine i sprayed it in the same colour as the fiat ducato cab

Appreciated that it would be best to use two pack, however it is quite difficult to do that outside. I will be building a shelter round the cab and just using the tractor paint whatever colour I go for. It is a lot easier to spray than two pack (so I'm told) and I have seen the results on his land rover using the same type of paint and it looks perfectly fine. Obviously this is a 30 year old vehicle so no amount of paint is going to make it look like new, just fancy giving the old girl a bit of a make over. My dilemma is mainly what colour, do I stick with traditional white or go mad and paint the cab a different colour?

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
i ended up spraying mine on the street (car park) no bits of dirt in it just a few flies you can quite often get better finish outside then in the booth if you know what your doing and 2 pack is easier to work with then synthetic

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

i ended up spraying mine on the street (car park) no bits of dirt in it just a few flies you can quite often get better finish outside then in the booth if you know what your doing and 2 pack is easier to work with then synthetic
So 2 pak it is for me then :thumb: I have also been told to use a Barrier coat just to be on the safe side ? I know the synthetic will go on top of what is on without problem
terry

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
we have only had to use barcoat (barrier coat) once
what paint does it have on there now?

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
if synthetic will go on 2 pack should
if you have any reactions with the paint 2 pack will be easier to put right

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Paint on now is white synthetic, so a bar coat will need to be used ::bigsmile: It looked good 5 yrs ago but has now dulled with age and the odd crack appearing where the skirts etc meet the body ::bigsmile: hence the respray :thumb:-I could prob get away with a good t cut but that would not solve the very minor cracks :winky:
terry

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
you souldnt need barcoat if you spray it at least day after flatting

flat it down with 400 grit orbital sander . 180 grit over the bad bits and
2 pac prime reflat with 400grit orbital sander panel wipe tacky wrag and paint top coat (dont put it on to dry even with first coat) flat out any imperfections and machine polish with g3 compound finish off with g10 compound and machine glaze dont forget to have striped trims off done any repairs and masked up

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Ive read of people getting good results using Coach paint applied with a small roller done outside in the fresh air.There was a fair bit of info on-line ,but I'm unable to find the link to it at the moment.

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Before and After!

Broken Link Removed

Oh, THAT kind of cat !
i thought you meant Catapillar tractor type cat :Doh:
Well I went ahead and painted it last weekend, bought Zetor white tractor paint and when I opened the tin it was practically yellow, so I mixed a bit of ford white in with it as well. Came out pretty good and not too different from the original colour so I wont have to change the dvla v5. Got a surprise when I looked on the vehicle info site to find tax liability is not listed until next march, so rang up thinking it had probably been declared sorn and found that it is actually taxed til march, so thats saved me a £100.

Please let me know if you think I should paint the blue stripes white which would mean painting the whole of the back (or the sides at least) or if I should change the stripe colour to black and just clean the rest as best I can to save paint, time and effort.

Attachments

• vn.jpg
    vn.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread