What class driving licence do you hold?... (1 Viewer)

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Here's an interesting point I found out today. Being an old fart I passed my test in the 70's, I have the licence to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle with trailer. My son-in-law passed his test much later, and has recently acquired a camper, he needed to upgrade his licence to C1. He approached the correct authorities, who informed him that he could take his test in his camper, a hobby, just over 3.5 tonnes and nearly 8 metres long. On arrival at the test centre, we were informed by the examiner that his vehicle was unsuitable for testing in as it ;
a. Didn't have extra adjustable mirrors, for the examiner to use. :cry:
b. Didn't have ABS. :Doh:
and c. Didn't have a tachograph fitted. :Eeek:
Therefore a £150 test has just turned into £1000 driving course and vehicle hire. :Angry:
Anyone out there had similar experiences?
Oh and by the way apparently later this year, if you want to pass, you have to do sheeting and roping, whatever that is?!! and you can't sit in and assist to teach unless you are qualified!! :whatthe::whatthe:

ATB
DaveT

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
It's times like this that I'm glad I'm getting on a bit. I also passed my test in the 70s:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Yep..the change was in the mid 1990's, and I fall foul of it too:Sad:
This dictated which MH we bought as it had to be under 3.5tonnes or I would have to do a test to have the entitlement on my licence. (A lot of expense and we're new to MHing).

Basically whereas previously you had entitlement up to 7.5tonne, which could include a trailer, for example a 5tonne rig with 2.5tonne trailer.

Now you can only go to 3.5 tonne, including trailer, or up to 3.5tonne and a 750kg trailer (useless if you want to tow a car behind your MH...unless you get an Aixam!)
Can't drive a mini-bus either:Angry:

IMO it was just another way to make more money from the motorist:Angry:

On the plus side I think MH manufacturers are now producing more models that fall within this 3.5 tonne, as from what I could tell previously there were quite a few that go just over, putting them out of reach of anyone under 30 who hasn't done an additional test. An age which is only going to rise.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Basically whereas previously you had entitlement up to 7.5tonne, which could include a trailer, for example a 5tonne rig with 2.5tonne trailer.

actually its better than that it is up to 7.5 ton or 8.25 ton train weight (including trailer)

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
1st test taken in 1965 cost £1.00 HGV class 1 taken 1979 cost £30.00 have done sheeting / roping /chaining etc now retired but still hold all groups including Steam Roller my MH is only 3000kg gross , to-days prices are obscene no wonder there are people out there who do not have a valid licence or insurance it beggers belief when young drivers have to wear seat belts during lessons and test cannot be bothered when they have passed their tests.:Doh:

OP
OP
davetthedon

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
have done sheeting / roping /chaining etc now retired but still hold all groups including Steam Roller

But what is sheeting in a MH? Is it when your awning blows over the other side of your roof? Is roping some strange event that happens on MH rally weekends akin to wife swapping? Chaining? When you don't pay for a parking space?
Please clarify :ROFLMAO:
ATB
DaveT

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The utter stupidity of the current C+E test was shown up when I passed my test - climbed out of a right-hand drive 22 ton articulated lorry equipped with a 16 speed manual gearbox - and climbed into my left-hand drive Monaco Cayman RV with a three button gearbox pad - press one button to go forward or another to go backward or the third to go into neutral!

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I hold HGV 1, and also PSV ,motorcycle,car licence,and for 15 years I was a Driving Insructor in HM Forces no dual controls in them Land Rovers! (never again):Doh:

I instructed basic car licence all the HGV levels Class 3--Class 1 Psv training and motor cycle and a bit of MHE (fork lifts etc)......just missed out on doing me QTO (testing officer) oh yea nearly forgot I hold a track licence as well .so all in all I can drive anything on the road

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and by the way apparently later this year, if you want to pass, you have to do sheeting and roping, whatever that is?!! and you can't sit in and assist to teach unless you are qualified!! :whatthe::whatthe:

ATB
DaveT

that always was part of the HGV test as far as i know.......throwback to the days before curtainsiders and container trucks i believe.:thumb:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
roping and sheeting has never been part of the hgv/lgv driving test.
and it wont be under the new laws either.
however under the new regulations new drivers and old must sit what they call a "drivers cpc" certificate of competence. not to be confused with an operators cpc.
basically this involves sitting in a classroom for 35 hours over a five year period ( 5 x 7 hours courses) covering various things ie) load restraint, first aid, defensive driving etc etc. theres probably going to be around 12 different subjects all in all and this goes to bus drivers also. the pupil (the driver) if paying himself would get to choose which subjects he wants to do.
if anyone does not attend these courses in the 5 year period ( there is no test either at the end) then you cannot drive a truck or a bus COMMERCIALLY.:winky:

you will be ok to drive your over 7.5 ton rv though. PRIVATE USE.:thumb:

ps. i to have a class 1, and hold a psv and a motorbike licence.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
if anyone does not attend these courses in the 5 year period ( there is no test either at the end) then you cannot drive a truck or a bus COMMERCIALLY.:winky:
you will be ok to drive your over 7.5 ton rv though. PRIVATE USE.:thumb:

Can I expand on that statement just a little - the CPC is a requirement for professional drivers only.

As daveyboy has said - it does not apply to private use by motorhomers.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
have done sheeting / roping /chaining etc now retired but still hold all groups including Steam Roller

But what is sheeting in a MH? Is it when your awning blows over the other side of your roof? Is roping some strange event that happens on MH rally weekends akin to wife swapping? Chaining? When you don't pay for a parking space?
Please clarify :ROFLMAO:
ATB
DaveT

:Doh: Sheeting is what I do each morning,,, help the misses straighten the bed, innit,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry,, I`ll get me coat..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sheeting.. its what we do in that little room. then have to find a man/woman hole to tip it in , dun u lot speak propaar or :thumb:sumthin.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I hold HGV 1, and also PSV ,motorcycle,car licence,and for 15 years I was a Driving Insructor in HM Forces no dual controls in them Land Rovers! (never again):Doh:
Hi Mondo,

You may well have been one of my instructors. :winky:

Basic test = 1976 (Landrover)
HGV 3 = 1977 (Bedford TK)
HGV 2 = 1977 (Mammoth Major)
HGV 1 = 1984 (Scammel Crusader)
PSV = 1986 (Duple (six legger) coach)

Still using the HGV 1 and PSV today part time, although times are very slack. :Sad:

Jock.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Got to say I'll be a bit hacked off having to pay to listen to someone preach something that I probably know better than he (or she) does. The reason most of them are instructors is because they couldn't hack the real job. :Angry::cry:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
what licence

its all just a way of getting more money out of us glad i passed in the 70 s

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
that always was part of the HGV test as far as i know.......throwback to the days before curtainsiders and container trucks i believe.:thumb:

cheers daveyboy,

i hold my hands up to being wrong......always thought it was part of the test.:Blush:

no probs. however in my opinion it should be part of the test .
i get fed up of hearing "shed load " on the radio. it happens everyday.:Eeek:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
A while back, so the story went, the police/CPS took a lad with a mickey mouse licence to Court for driving a large Yank M/H at over HGV speed on the motorway.
The judge threw it out on both accounts.

Accordingly, there are no laws to cover M/Hs.

I followed the stories back to what appeared to be newspaper reports that confirmed them.
I've long felt that the only honest use for newspaper is wrapping chips, tramps, or motorcyclists, so I sit on the fence.

Does anyone know if the above case exists in case law please?
Was it rubbished as a load of baloney?

Does anyone know of a successful prosecution against mickey mouse licence holder for drining an M/H over the magic weight?

Is the mickey mouse licence the most dishonourable NVQ?
No Value Qualification.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back