What class driving licence do you hold?...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davetthedon, May 18, 2009.

1. davetthedon

davetthedon Read Only Funster

Here's an interesting point I found out today. Being an old fart I passed my test in the 70's, I have the licence to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle with trailer. My son-in-law passed his test much later, and has recently acquired a camper, he needed to upgrade his licence to C1. He approached the correct authorities, who informed him that he could take his test in his camper, a hobby, just over 3.5 tonnes and nearly 8 metres long. On arrival at the test centre, we were informed by the examiner that his vehicle was unsuitable for testing in as it ;
    a. Didn't have extra adjustable mirrors, for the examiner to use. :cry:
    b. Didn't have ABS. :Doh:
    and c. Didn't have a tachograph fitted. :Eeek:
    Therefore a £150 test has just turned into £1000 driving course and vehicle hire. :Angry:
    Anyone out there had similar experiences?
    Oh and by the way apparently later this year, if you want to pass, you have to do sheeting and roping, whatever that is?!! and you can't sit in and assist to teach unless you are qualified!! :Eek!::Eek!:

ATB
    DaveT

2. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Sounds about right......more jobs for the boys :Doh:

3. philw111

philw111 Funster

It's times like this that I'm glad I'm getting on a bit. I also passed my test in the 70s:thumb:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

does one actually need a licence, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Yep..the change was in the mid 1990's, and I fall foul of it too:Sad:
    This dictated which MH we bought as it had to be under 3.5tonnes or I would have to do a test to have the entitlement on my licence. (A lot of expense and we're new to MHing).

Basically whereas previously you had entitlement up to 7.5tonne, which could include a trailer, for example a 5tonne rig with 2.5tonne trailer.

Now you can only go to 3.5 tonne, including trailer, or up to 3.5tonne and a 750kg trailer (useless if you want to tow a car behind your MH...unless you get an Aixam!)
    Can't drive a mini-bus either:Angry:

IMO it was just another way to make more money from the motorist:Angry:

On the plus side I think MH manufacturers are now producing more models that fall within this 3.5 tonne, as from what I could tell previously there were quite a few that go just over, putting them out of reach of anyone under 30 who hasn't done an additional test. An age which is only going to rise.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

actually its better than that it is up to 7.5 ton or 8.25 ton train weight (including trailer)

7. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Go on...rub it in why don't you:cry: :Wink:

8. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

1st test taken in 1965 cost £1.00 HGV class 1 taken 1979 cost £30.00 have done sheeting / roping /chaining etc now retired but still hold all groups including Steam Roller my MH is only 3000kg gross , to-days prices are obscene no wonder there are people out there who do not have a valid licence or insurance it beggers belief when young drivers have to wear seat belts during lessons and test cannot be bothered when they have passed their tests.:Doh:

9. davetthedon

davetthedon Read Only Funster

have done sheeting / roping /chaining etc now retired but still hold all groups including Steam Roller

But what is sheeting in a MH? Is it when your awning blows over the other side of your roof? Is roping some strange event that happens on MH rally weekends akin to wife swapping? Chaining? When you don't pay for a parking space?
    Please clarify :Rofl1:
    ATB
    DaveT

10. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

The utter stupidity of the current C+E test was shown up when I passed my test - climbed out of a right-hand drive 22 ton articulated lorry equipped with a 16 speed manual gearbox - and climbed into my left-hand drive Monaco Cayman RV with a three button gearbox pad - press one button to go forward or another to go backward or the third to go into neutral!

11. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

I hold HGV 1, and also PSV ,motorcycle,car licence,and for 15 years I was a Driving Insructor in HM Forces no dual controls in them Land Rovers! (never again):Doh:

I instructed basic car licence all the HGV levels Class 3--Class 1 Psv training and motor cycle and a bit of MHE (fork lifts etc)......just missed out on doing me QTO (testing officer) oh yea nearly forgot I hold a track licence as well .so all in all I can drive anything on the road

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

that always was part of the HGV test as far as i know.......throwback to the days before curtainsiders and container trucks i believe.:thumb:

13. daveyboy

daveyboy Read Only Funster

roping and sheeting has never been part of the hgv/lgv driving test.
    and it wont be under the new laws either.
    however under the new regulations new drivers and old must sit what they call a "drivers cpc" certificate of competence. not to be confused with an operators cpc.
    basically this involves sitting in a classroom for 35 hours over a five year period ( 5 x 7 hours courses) covering various things ie) load restraint, first aid, defensive driving etc etc. theres probably going to be around 12 different subjects all in all and this goes to bus drivers also. the pupil (the driver) if paying himself would get to choose which subjects he wants to do.
    if anyone does not attend these courses in the 5 year period ( there is no test either at the end) then you cannot drive a truck or a bus COMMERCIALLY.:Wink:

you will be ok to drive your over 7.5 ton rv though. PRIVATE USE.:thumb:

ps. i to have a class 1, and hold a psv and a motorbike licence.

14. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Can I expand on that statement just a little - the CPC is a requirement for professional drivers only.

As daveyboy has said - it does not apply to private use by motorhomers.

15. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

:Doh: Sheeting is what I do each morning,,, help the misses straighten the bed, innit,, :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Sorry,, I`ll get me coat..

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

sheeting.. its what we do in that little room. then have to find a man/woman hole to tip it in , dun u lot speak propaar or :thumb:sumthin.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cheers daveyboy,

i hold my hands up to being wrong......always thought it was part of the test.:Blush:

18. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Mondo,

You may well have been one of my instructors. :Wink:

Basic test = 1976 (Landrover)
    HGV 3 = 1977 (Bedford TK)
    HGV 2 = 1977 (Mammoth Major)
    HGV 1 = 1984 (Scammel Crusader)
    PSV = 1986 (Duple (six legger) coach)

Still using the HGV 1 and PSV today part time, although times are very slack. :Sad:

Jock.

19. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Got to say I'll be a bit hacked off having to pay to listen to someone preach something that I probably know better than he (or she) does. The reason most of them are instructors is because they couldn't hack the real job. :Angry::cry:

20. scran

scran Read Only Funster

what licence

its all just a way of getting more money out of us glad i passed in the 70 s