Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
What car? As I am about to retire I am going to lose the fleet car I have; this means providing my own vehicle for the first time in years and to be honest I have no idea what would be best. At present our fleet car is a Citron C3 Picasso which is about the right size, if a little underpowered and meets all our present requirements but my budget will not stretch to one of those. Our budget is around £6K

I am looking for a car with a slightly higher riding position than an ordinary saloon, so SWMO can slide in and out easily, I am not overly fussed about petrol or diesel, and automatic would be nice but not necessary. We shall not be doing much ileage as there is a good "free" bus service to most major towns, but we shall want to do a few journeys of around 300 miles round trip
a few times a year. Fuel consumption and running costs are important as we have "The Beast" to run as well.

Serious and not so serious suggestions welcome! (But remember what Jim said about suitabel responses and remember where you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Norman

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would not presume to recomend a car, but I would suggest you ask your company to get you a proof of no claims certificate from the present insurers.. ( if applicable of course )

When I reverted away from a company car in 1998 I mentioned to an insurance company that I had had the company car for several years.. They asked who the insurance company, contacted them and credited me with some NCB ( not the full amount I might add, but a worth while amount giving me a good saving )

Given how insurers are nowadays I would suggest you do the leg work for your self as chances are the bone idle money grabbers will make no attempt to save you a few bob !

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Would not presume to recomend a car, but I would suggest you ask your company to get you a proof of no claims certificate from the present insurers.. ( if applicable of course )

When I reverted away from a company car in 1998 I mentioned to an insurance company that I had had the company car for several years.. They asked who the insurance company, contacted them and credited me with some NCB ( not the full amount I might add, but a worth while amount giving me a good saving )

Given how insurers are nowadays I would suggest you do the leg work for your self as chances are the bone idle money grabbers will make no attempt to save you a few bob !

Thanks for this I managed to do this when I insure The Beast so have a full NCD

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How about something like a Kia jeep?

They are higher than a standard car but there is no big climb into the cab. Reasonably frugal Diesel engines and I would have thought you could get a decent second hand one for your budget.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Have you looked at the Jaguar X Type 2.5 Sport Manual gearbox and good on petrol long distance, their easy to get in and out of and comes in a stunning Sky blue:thumb:.
Now it just so happens mine is for sale so your in luck:Smile:.

Attachments

• 75859_155341087841492_3679332_n.jpg
    75859_155341087841492_3679332_n.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 48

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a look at the Skoda range. We went back to one (Fabia 2) almost a year ago after having a Berlingo Forte for several years (needed that for business).

Not having driven a C3 Picasso I'm not aware of the riding position but there is variation between makers. The Fabia riding position is lower than the Berlingo but nowhere near as low as a Golf, for instance.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have a Honda CRV auto. Had it for 13 years, never a problem, reliable, comfortable, useful, roomy.

Craig

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
cars

Hi, have a look at the Ford Fusion its not a very common car but one that may suit your needs and of course being a scot:Smile: its very frugal on parts and juice :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a Honda CRV auto. Had it for 13 years, never a problem, reliable, comfortable, useful, roomy.

Craig

Likewise.. also Auto box, had ours for three years.. great car, roomy, nice high driving position , very well built with usual Honda quality.. .. not a single problem and dealer servicing is very reasonable.. ...

however, not a true off roader, the 4x4 is not selectable, it works when it senses wheel slipping.. but very useful in snow or muddy ground.. I tow a caravan and it makes a good tow car..

but if buying again I'd look for a diesel which gets a lot better MPG .. our petrol one does .. MPG 28-30 urban cycle.. bit better on long runs.

only complaint I have is the high road tax.. think I paid £270 this year ..worth checking before you buy any car

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at the Skoda range. We went back to one (Fabia 2) almost a year ago after having a Berlingo Forte for several years (needed that for business).

Not having driven a C3 Picasso I'm not aware of the riding position but there is variation between makers. The Fabia riding position is lower than the Berlingo but nowhere near as low as a Golf, for instance.

My sister bought a Skoda Roomster as she also likes a high driving position. Seems very good value and she paid £6k for that.

Catherine

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
How about a Lexus 4x4?::bigsmile:
In a senior moment we went and got ourselves a RX300 and it was under 6K!:Eeek: We'd had our Seat Alhambra for over ten years, trouble free:thumb:
Now, there's another one - Alhambra. You sit up a bit higher than a regular saloon car:Cool:
Of course, I'm talking used cars. Never bought a new one. Let someone else take the hit:winky:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We had to make a similar decision several months ago, never had a company car but we did run 2 cars, mine was a Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel (avoid the 1.4 diesel its underpowered), 50+ mpg, £30 VED, low insurance and a high driving position, good sized boot.

Nice roomy car comfortable to drive including long distance (unlike my previous Ford Cmax which I found very uncomfortable on long journeys) cheap running costs, all in all a very positive ownership experience.

Shame it had to go but retirement meant coming down to one vehicle.

Good luck with your quest.:thumb:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Which car?

We just bought a Hyundai i10, cheaper than the Kia Picanta, 4 doors a great little car for us!!:RollEyes:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Just to add my twopennyworth, I had a Nissan X-Trail before the M/H, a 2.2 DCI, went like hell, very roomy and comfortable and fairly economical too, I'd have another. My wife has a Hyundai i10 as well, having had a hip replacement she finds it comfortable and easy to get in and out of. :Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The likes of the berlingo would give the room, and are fairly easy to get in and out of - avoid the mutlispace roof jobbie, unless you live in birmingham.
Get aropund the 60 mpg mark, as do the VW caddy - which is a similar affair.

Why not look at an electric version? Expensive to buy, but there are grants around, which turn a 15-17k vehicle into one of around 6k. No tax, cost around £150 a year to 'charge' - so cheaper than having a taxed car on your drive going nowhere. Plenty of charge points around, and since you will be doing little mileage - might well be suitable, cheap version!

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
fusion 1.4

Hi all
We have just cut back to one car, so we kept the fusion, £30 pound a year tax and 60 odd miles to the gallon (diesol) and sits quite high off the road so good for my bad back, bags of room when you put the seats down.

good luck:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
brand new 2012 pre reg Kangoo estate 15 miles on the clock,,auto and fully loaded with cruise aircon etc....£9k from Motorpoint Derby and its brilliant

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It really depends on how bit a car you need, but assuming something around your Picasso size, how about a Renault Modus - very high safety category and a high seating position, loads of room (like your Picasso) and a dream to drive.

We've had quite a few Renaults, as well as Fiat, Citroen and Vauxhall, and can honestly say that Renaults are by far the best to drive and are nice and comfy too.

Just so happens we have a nice low mileage example for sale at the moment too but it is a bit over your budget at £7,000 (sorry no offers as this is cheap for what it is!)! :thumb:

Renault Grand Modus 1.2 TCE Dynamique (100) Hatchback
Registered: 28 June 2010 - under Renault warranty until 28 June 2013
Mileage: less than 7,000
Petrol - up to 46mpg
Manual gearbox
Full service history
Grey metallic, with alloys and air con
Low insurance group: 4E

We're only selling it because I left work this year so don't need to use it for going to/from there, and as we now have a van conversion which is a bit more usable as a 'normal' runabout plus we recently got a 'pink' 56 reg Smart car for tootling around too, otherwise I'd hang on to the Modus as of all the cars we've had it is my favourite!::bigsmile:

Nearly forgot to say, if you go for an automatic car, be aware that the road tax can be astronomical now compared to a manual version.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many actually do suprisingley as the engine ecu's have to be adjusted to suit the engine/gearbox characteristics usually boosting the output horsepower and or torque which pushes up emissions.:Eeek:

that may be the case for some .. I stand corrected.. however,

I've just checked my CRV Auto with a CRV manual , same model, same year, same engine............ same VED

check any car here http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx?t=23ude39

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Get yourself a Honda Jazz, fantastic vehicle.

Fiesta size on the outside and Focus size on the inside.

Very frugal on fuel, up to 60 mpg....petrol!!

Very comfortable...my OH has two artificial knees and says its the easiest car ever to get in and out.

I regularly use it for taking stuff to the tip so plenty of versatile space.

Mine is a 2002 model and has never failed an MOT and all I have ever replaced is the EGR. As I do a low (retirement :Smile:) mileage it is serviced only every other year :Smile:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
that may be the case for some .. I stand corrected.. however,

I've just checked my CRV Auto with a CRV manual , same model, same year, same engine............ same VED

check any car here http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx?t=23ude39

Hi Jim,

Honda's tend to wring everything they can out of the engine (as do many of the Japanese manufacturers) and most are in higher bands (our 2.2 cdti FRV was) very few Honda's are listed in the lower bands ie £30 VED and the few that are are all manuals. We looked at buying a Jazz only to find the auto VED more expensive.:Sad:

Looking through the list (your link) for this band the majority are manuals the German marques do well for auto's/ semi auto's

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my advice would be to avoid anything french or italian there are no true british cars now so go for a jap or a german
weve got a nissan note teckna auto which is nice and upright ours is the 1.6 petrol so not very cheap for ved but its good on juice and roomy has all the xtras the latter ones have cruise controll as well
6k should get you a 09 model

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We just bought a Hyundai i10, cheaper than the Kia Picanta, 4 doors a great little car for us!!:RollEyes:

We got one of these three years ago new under the scrapage scheme and it is cheap as chips to run, still has two years warranty to go and hasn't put a foot wrong.Also for a small car it has a high driving position. Recommended.:thumb:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Have a look at Nissan Almera Tino or the smaller verso the Note... Cheap to buy and run and RELIABLE. Not too bad to look at either.. Mitch.. PS (Diesel) :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back