Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
We are looking at getting a small car to tow behind our motorhome, we were looking at a smart car but started wondering what other funsters tow, so what car do you tow and why did you pick the one you have ?????
Thanks Chris

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We tow a Peugeot 107 , 4 door for convenience, reasonable comfort for a small car, 60+ mpg £20rfl, air con, leccy front windows :thumb:

Weight limits may help decide, the Peugeot is 1190kg gvw.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used to tow a '97 vauxhall corsa...1140kg gvw.

Can we assume you took your driving test before jan 1997 ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Had a Smart great fun thing but we are now looking to buy a Toyota IQ a 100kg heavier but have now drove one and a much better ride :Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I occasionally tow a '95 Mazda Mx5 on a trailer but only for racing weekends. When we're out in the motorhome most of the time its for work at a show, when we do get away in the camper for a break we're happy to use public transport or just walk. I picked the Mazda because they're cheap and fun and can be made to go quickly when needed.

D,

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I Aframed an early Fiat Panda around on a Towtal frame for years with no problems. I now have a Joyner 650 road legal buggy with purpose built trailer for Europe and tow frame for the UK in summer and a Smart for 2 on a Brian James Bantam trailer for winter and inclement weather.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 22
  • RMB 010.jpg
    RMB 010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30
  • Smarty 001.jpg
    Smarty 001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 21

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

picanto had it new no issues 2 date,plenty mpg enough room for 4 big enough 2 fit mobility scooter in back/when seats down, cheap and cheerful :Eeek:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This week we are ordering a Skoda citigo sport. Extremely well equipped 900kg car.
We put a lot of research in before deciding on this car. A genuine four seater. 3 door.. cruise with aircon... Heated seats.. Great sat nav and car computer bluetooth and cruise.
21009639241599224092.jpg

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
towing

:thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:hi. i tow a renault clio rt. on a a frame with no bother my motorhome. as a 6cylinder engine iveco 80e18. turbo. engine power 130kw. so its above its job lots of power. walter

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Kia Picanato from new on Towbarstotowcars system - brilliant

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Smart for two on a Towtal A frame. Will probably have to change it soon though, as we have two dogs.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We too tow a Clio, needed something larger than the usual towing cars as we have two Border Collies, tow using A Frame system.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
towing

Hi, We tow a fiat seicento on a caratow a frame, very light car 750 kgs but only take it if we are out in the sticks ,as I like to park up and get walking or the bus as its free now:Smile:Tina still has to pay :winky:

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
Why tow a car, does this not take away the point of having a m/h and just go back to having a caravan. We have seen people tow a car all the way to Spain and then park up on a site for months, when asked why you get a lot of well it is useful to take the dog out or saves taking the van to the shops, if you can not use your van when you are away to go shopping ect then you have the wrong van. I know it is up to each person to do what they wont , but every time I see one I think Ah a back to front caravaner lol :RollEyes: :RollEyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why tow a car, does this not take away the point of having a m/h and just go back to having a caravan. We have seen people tow a car all the way to Spain and then park up on a site for months, when asked why you get a lot of well it is useful to take the dog out or saves taking the van to the shops, if you can not use your van when you are away to go shopping ect then you have the wrong van. I know it is up to each person to do what they wont , but every time I see one I think Ah a back to front caravaner lol :RollEyes: :RollEyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The answer is that quite simply you have the choice to take the car or not. You do not have this choice with a caravan unless its horse drawn. I sometimes tow the car, sometimes the boat and sometimes nothing at all. There are also many places that I visit that do not allow caravans.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Used to tow a Peugeot 107,,,,, but it was a two door, which was a pain..

So upped to a Toyota Aygo, 4 door...

A Frame by Tow cars to tow bars, for UK & France... and 4 wheel lightweight trailer for Spain..
:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If we do tow, we take the XJS convertible. Nice to potter about in the sun with the top down :Smile:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Because we all have freedom of choice amazingly, and do not have to live our lives according to your choice.

What rubbish about "having the wrong van" if you prefer not to take it to the shops!

As Snowbird says, carvanners HAVE to take a car, motorhomers have the choice, if they want to do so, to tow a car which is likely to be far, far smaller than a car used to tow a caravan. No one knows exactly what other people's circumstances are- some people might need the car for health reasons or mobility issues, given that most decent sized motorhomes are difficult to negotiate around crowded villages and towns with little parking available for them, while. Smart car is nippy and easy to use in crowded towns.

Added to which, having to up sticks and move your motorhome from the pitch constantly does present a risk of someone else taking your pitch even if you put a "pitch reserved" sign on it.

We all have freedom of choice to do as we see fit. If you don't want to tow a toad, then don't. Easy. No need to slag or belittle those who do, off, it is not affecting you in any way :Eeek:

ronita

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
since 2007
Anyone know the towing weight for autotrail apache700 2012 model.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

Simple in our case, wife is disabled therefore having a car to get about makes things easier. Takes 5 mins to hook up a a few mins to take off, not as long as it would messing about with a caravan.
But its each to there own as far as towing a car.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The other thing is of course. You would need a hell of a car to tow a caravan and this thing.

Attachments

• S6000234.jpg
    S6000234.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We tow a VW Polo on a trailer, but only if we are going to Cornwall where access is sometimes dodgy!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Yes I know but don't understand it.

Look at the plate under the bonnet it will give Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and Gross Train Weight (GTW).
Take the lower figure from the higher figure and the difference is the weight you can tow.
Mine is GVW 3500kgs and GTW 5500kgs therefore a difference of 2000kgs.

There will also be 2 other weights relating to axle loadings and they total to the same as the GVW.

Pretty sure i have that right, if mot someone will be along to correct me.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back