what car do you tow ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xjrchris, Jan 5, 2014.

1. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

We are looking at getting a small car to tow behind our motorhome, we were looking at a smart car but started wondering what other funsters tow, so what car do you tow and why did you pick the one you have ?????
    Thanks Chris

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We tow a Peugeot 107 , 4 door for convenience, reasonable comfort for a small car, 60+ mpg £20rfl, air con, leccy front windows :thumb:

Weight limits may help decide, the Peugeot is 1190kg gvw.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I used to tow a '97 vauxhall corsa...1140kg gvw.

Can we assume you took your driving test before jan 1997 ?

4. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Had a Smart great fun thing but we are now looking to buy a Toyota IQ a 100kg heavier but have now drove one and a much better ride :Smile:

5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I occasionally tow a '95 Mazda Mx5 on a trailer but only for racing weekends. When we're out in the motorhome most of the time its for work at a show, when we do get away in the camper for a break we're happy to use public transport or just walk. I picked the Mazda because they're cheap and fun and can be made to go quickly when needed.

D,

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I Aframed an early Fiat Panda around on a Towtal frame for years with no problems. I now have a Joyner 650 road legal buggy with purpose built trailer for Europe and tow frame for the UK in summer and a Smart for 2 on a Brian James Bantam trailer for winter and inclement weather.

Attached Files:

7. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

picanto had it new no issues 2 date,plenty mpg enough room for 4 big enough 2 fit mobility scooter in back/when seats down, cheap and cheerful :Eeek:

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

This week we are ordering a Skoda citigo sport. Extremely well equipped 900kg car.
    We put a lot of research in before deciding on this car. A genuine four seater. 3 door.. cruise with aircon... Heated seats.. Great sat nav and car computer bluetooth and cruise.
    [​IMG]

9. walter senior

walter senior Funster

towing

:thumb::thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. walter senior

walter senior Funster

towing

:thumb::thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1:hi. i tow a renault clio rt. on a a frame with no bother my motorhome. as a 6cylinder engine iveco 80e18. turbo. engine power 130kw. so its above its job lots of power. walter

11. donnkim

donnkim Funster

Kia Picanato from new on Towbarstotowcars system - brilliant

12. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Smart for two on a Towtal A frame. Will probably have to change it soon though, as we have two dogs.

13. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Thanks, let me know if you want to sell it :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. the stig

the stig Funster

We too tow a Clio, needed something larger than the usual towing cars as we have two Border Collies, tow using A Frame system.

15. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

towing

Hi, We tow a fiat seicento on a caratow a frame, very light car 750 kgs but only take it if we are out in the sticks ,as I like to park up and get walking or the bus as its free now:Smile:Tina still has to pay :Wink:

16. damar

damar Read Only Funster

Why tow a car, does this not take away the point of having a m/h and just go back to having a caravan. We have seen people tow a car all the way to Spain and then park up on a site for months, when asked why you get a lot of well it is useful to take the dog out or saves taking the van to the shops, if you can not use your van when you are away to go shopping ect then you have the wrong van. I know it is up to each person to do what they wont , but every time I see one I think Ah a back to front caravaner lol :RollEyes: :RollEyes: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The answer is that quite simply you have the choice to take the car or not. You do not have this choice with a caravan unless its horse drawn. I sometimes tow the car, sometimes the boat and sometimes nothing at all. There are also many places that I visit that do not allow caravans.

• Like Like x 4
  18. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Used to tow a Peugeot 107,,,,, but it was a two door, which was a pain..

So upped to a Toyota Aygo, 4 door...

A Frame by Tow cars to tow bars, for UK & France... and 4 wheel lightweight trailer for Spain..
    :thumb:

19. Yorick

Yorick Funster

If we do tow, we take the XJS convertible. Nice to potter about in the sun with the top down :Smile:

20. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Because we all have freedom of choice amazingly, and do not have to live our lives according to your choice.

What rubbish about "having the wrong van" if you prefer not to take it to the shops!

As Snowbird says, carvanners HAVE to take a car, motorhomers have the choice, if they want to do so, to tow a car which is likely to be far, far smaller than a car used to tow a caravan. No one knows exactly what other people's circumstances are- some people might need the car for health reasons or mobility issues, given that most decent sized motorhomes are difficult to negotiate around crowded villages and towns with little parking available for them, while. Smart car is nippy and easy to use in crowded towns.

Added to which, having to up sticks and move your motorhome from the pitch constantly does present a risk of someone else taking your pitch even if you put a "pitch reserved" sign on it.

We all have freedom of choice to do as we see fit. If you don't want to tow a toad, then don't. Easy. No need to slag or belittle those who do, off, it is not affecting you in any way :Eeek:

• Like Like x 6