What can I do. An A class failing? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We went off for a night in the van and it has brought just how bad it can be to drive an A class at night.
We set off in the afternoon to dive about 160 miles from Dover To Stroud in Gloucestershire, no problem until I was on the M25 and then the M4 driving into the low setting sun, the reflections from the side windows and the screen was driving me mad, I could not see enough to feel safe in the heavy traffic, Th sun was reflecting off the left and right side windows stopping me from seeing either mirror as the bright light was angling straight back at me from the flat glass. In the end I was wearing a Yankee cap with a huge peak to stop the reflections blinding me. The as the darkness progressed It was headlights doing it to me but obviously not as bad as the sun, but still disconcerting along narrow road, I did not know. When I arrived I needed to back into the place and the mirror problem arose again I just could not see enough as all the streetlights were coming off the flat side windows again, luckily the rear view camera was there to back me up.
Does everybody else have the same trouble? or is it because the MLI has plain flat side windows, I have never had the problem with cars vans or lorries before as most vehicle actually have curved side glass to stop this effect. If you do how to you negate this effect? Apart from obviously only driving in the daytime with a high sun. I think I might look into putting smaller additional car side mirrors nearer to me so that I can look down at a different angle and still see behind for reversing, that would be completely out of the reflection area.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have been driving A class Hymers now for over 15 years in the U.K. And down to Spain and haven't experienced the problems you have highlighted. However, I did mention to my wife yesterday that it was difficult to drive into the sun in the car as it was so low and bright, perhaps you experienced the same thing and nothing to do with the motorhome per se?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I have problems with the reflection off the dash onto the window blocking the view of the mirrors in low sun too. When I went south the other week it was a 'mare but I laid a duster out on the dash & it stopped most of it.

Also had a bit of a problem in heavy rain - seems to affect visibility on the mirror.

Just seen prev post - I almost always drive with sunglasses on.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We went off for a night in the van and it has brought just how bad it can be to drive an A class at night.
We set off in the afternoon to dive about 160 miles from Dover To Stroud in Gloucestershire, no problem until I was on the M25 and then the M4 driving into the low setting sun, the reflections from the side windows and the screen was driving me mad, I could not see enough to feel safe in the heavy traffic, Th sun was reflecting off the left and right side windows stopping me from seeing either mirror as the bright light was angling straight back at me from the flat glass. In the end I was wearing a Yankee cap with a huge peak to stop the reflections blinding me. The as the darkness progressed It was headlights doing it to me but obviously not as bad as the sun, but still disconcerting along narrow road, I did not know. When I arrived I needed to back into the place and the mirror problem arose again I just could not see enough as all the streetlights were coming off the flat side windows again, luckily the rear view camera was there to back me up.
Does everybody else have the same trouble? or is it because the MLI has plain flat side windows, I have never had the problem with cars vans or lorries before as most vehicle actually have curved side glass to stop this effect. If you do how to you negate this effect? Apart from obviously only driving in the daytime with a high sun. I think I might look into putting smaller additional car side mirrors nearer to me so that I can look down at a different angle and still see behind for reversing, that would be completely out of the reflection area.

I've noticed this.... it's a nightmare...
:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good quality sun glasses help a bit. I suffered in Feb driving through France to Spain very bright clear days. Been thinking of putting some of those roll down mesh blinds (the ones they put on rear side windows in cars) on the driver side window (LHD). The screen won't be so much of a problem on the new van has we have ordered the electric front blind.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Get your wife to drive.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My motorhome has coach style mesh "Pull down" visors both sides which make a huge difference. Perhaps contact a coach supplier?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Problem easily solved.
When I first got my Hymer A Class with high level mirrors it was a swine to see anything in drivers side mirror, so I figured out the angle of the dangle and made the following gismo. It fits by sucker to inside , as photo just taken and works 100%.
A flat piece of plastic, could be any light material, about A4 size , I gaffa taped a mirror to it and completely covered in black gaffa tape to avoid reflections, attach by sucker as photo and in that position you only view the edge and it completely cuts out reflection.
Haven't got around to making it look nice, it just works.

First photo from driving position .

PS Patent pending :D

In addition to this to mask sunlight at right angles through side windows I bought a couple of little roller blinds , one each side and lower as needed.

Hope this is of use.

A class, the best viewing platform on the road (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have not really noticed a problem other than backing into "the shed" from bright sun into dark, we test drove a Concorde a few weeks ago with high level bus mirrors and it wasn't easy looking up into the low sun, our van has the low level mirrors and I always wear a cap to shade the low sun and can always see in the side mirrors without lifting my eyes into the sun.

We have the electric front blinds but these are more use to cut down excess heat than keeping the sun out of my eyes, the boss doesn't wear a cap so the are more use to her.

Martin

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Wait for summer Suns higher then.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sure we all get caught by low sun as there is only so far that you can drop the electric blind before it gets silly but I do have problems at night trying to see through the double glazed side windows on both my current and last motorhomes. The old hymer was single glazed so never had any issues.
I have seen people using the stick on mesh shades on the side but otherwise it's just sunglasses really or Larrynwin's suggestion looks good.Broken Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm sure we all get caught by low sun as there is only so far that you can drop the electric blind before it gets silly but I do have problems at night trying to see through the double glazed side windows on both my current and last motorhomes. The old hymer was single glazed so never had any issues.
I have seen people using the stick on mesh shades on the side but otherwise it's just sunglasses really or Larrynwin's suggestion looks good.

I found the problem even when the sun was high and the reflection could be from a building illuminated by the sun or even white clouds. Sitting in my drive one day trying to figure it out I could see a reflection of my house which was about 45 degs to the left reflecting in through the top left of windscreen, hence the gismo.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
you forget sheeting and roping the buggers in all weathers, doubt many know what a dolly knot is craig, spoilt they are. oh lets not put a side sleeping across the seats, the good old days :(

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've driven heavy goods and cars all my life and now an a class but cannot in all honesty say I've ever really had any more problem in the Hymer than from our family car when the sun is bright and low.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
well I seem to not be alone. I was wondering if some polarised clear sheet put vertical, might do it so I will try it next on the side window in front of the mirrors.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
you forget sheeting and roping the buggers in all weathers, doubt many know what a dolly knot is craig, spoilt they are. oh lets not put a side sleeping across the seats, the good old days :(

Sleeping bag! you were posh,,old army blanket and sleep in your clothes in my old Foden,,BUSBY:D:D

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well you poor old drivers, We took our Guy big J 's, and make a couchettes for all the drivers, then we even made a proper sleeper cab for the rear behind the seats for a few, that went further afield. Then we bought foreign Mercedes Benz 1924's , and they were well away then.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
View attachment 135423 View attachment 135424 View attachment 135425 Problem easily solved.
When I first got my Hymer A Class with high level mirrors it was a swine to see anything in drivers side mirror, so I figured out the angle of the dangle and made the following gismo. It fits by sucker to inside , as photo just taken and works 100%.
A flat piece of plastic, could be any light material, about A4 size , I gaffa taped a mirror to it and completely covered in black gaffa tape to avoid reflections, attach by sucker as photo and in that position you only view the edge and it completely cuts out reflection.
Haven't got around to making it look nice, it just works.

First photo from driving position .

PS Patent pending :D

In addition to this to mask sunlight at right angles through side windows I bought a couple of little roller blinds , one each side and lower as needed.

Hope this is of use.

A class, the best viewing platform on the road (y)
I am going for this one and shall make a nice pair of shields that fit with suckers, as the sliding screens need to be able to close to the pillars. I did use the side screens held forward enough to shield me from side sun by using a clothes peg at the correct place on the track. Those reflections are a real pain but it is only because of the dead flat glass they all use, a slight curve would stop it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am going for this one and shall make a nice pair of shields that fit with suckers, as the sliding screens need to be able to close to the pillars. I did use the side screens held forward enough to shield me from side sun by using a clothes peg at the correct place on the track. Those reflections are a real pain but it is only because of the dead flat glass they all use, a slight curve would stop it.

I have just ordered a piece of tinted Perspex 2'x 8" x 3mm to suspend at the top of drivers side window as a sun shade.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Had similar in the Winnebago. One advantage being the roller perforated sun blinds that come standard in the side screens. That helped a lot. I have light tint in my driving specs whichever also help plus clip on Polaroid lenses. Drove all over the "sunnier" parts ofthe USA. Without great issues with that combination

The first RV came with aftermarket tinted screen which was fastened to the lower edge of the visor and folded up out of the way when not required.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
never had this problen in a proper a class(rv not euro)
tinted screen, tinted sun visors and side mesh screens.
dont know what the problem is,:xgrin::xgrin:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
never had this problen in a proper a class(rv not euro)
tinted screen, tinted sun visors and side mesh screens.
dont know what the problem is,:xgrin::xgrin:

Yes , had three of them before eurovan :xThumb:

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
We have had an Arto A class for just over a year now and nighttime driving is a time for reflection for me too.
As it is a leisure pursuit we don't drive at night if we can help it but at a t junction visibility out of the side windows is bad if there is any kind of light at the side of the van. Good polarised glasses help.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Polarised sheet is one of the things I was after, but it is a bit pricey for film of any reasonable size.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Try driving an arctic in the 70s. No power steering, no power clutch, no reversing camera, no heater, budgie mirrors, and finished in a nice, ice blue to make you feel colder.

Craig
You say that like we've got them now
Course, the advantage was not anywhere near as many idiots too

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Essential kit : baseball cap, polaroid sunglasses and clean mirrors, with that combination I've never had the problem.
And don't forget to make sure the glass is spotlessly clean, particularly on the inside.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Yellow 'night vision' glasses can be helpful too.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Yellow 'night vision' glasses can be helpful too.
I've a pair of these www.amazon.co.uk/OPTICAID-POLARISED-DRIVING-DESIGNED-PRESCRIPTION/dp/B005GNW0TU which cut glare so effectively that oncoming vehicles who fail to dip or which have out of alignment headlights cause no dazzle effect, they also sharpen up the view in fog and dusk conditions.

There is also a version for day wear as sunglasses.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back