What Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by simbadog, Aug 20, 2014.

1. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I want to buy a better camera, prepared to spend C.£350 & want it to take general shots of landscapes, boaty things & people, am going on a cruise as well. Not particularly an expert photographer so looking for something that is reasonably straightforward or easy to learn.
    Any suggestions please?
    :)

2. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Nikon d400 SLR easy and good pictures you can play with the settings and get a bit arty, or just leave on auto. Only downside with SLR's is their size and weight. I used a compact Nikon cool pix for the last few years but have now gone back to the SLR as it's just better

• Like Like x 2
  3. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Is the D400 available? Can't find any listed anywhere?

4. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Sorry mine is a D40

• Like Like x 1
  5. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

If you don't want to have to cary a heavy DSLR and learn all its complicated fucntions I can heartily reccomend the Sony Cybershot DSC HX50V

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx50v

I have this and it is a brilliant little all rounder, with (at the time) a world beating 30X optical zoom. Fits in your pocket or man bag (I have one I should know lol) and takes great snaps.

It also has GPS tagging which is very cool.

I use it in place of my DSLR most times as it is so easy to use.

And it is right in your price range.

Highly recommended!

• Like Like x 3
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Slightly over your price range but I have the Canon Powershot G16 as a small compact camera for places like festivals where I can't have my usual DSLR (EOS 5D Mk3) and I have to say for basic point and shoot everyday pictures it is very nearly as good! All the normal DSLR features and settings, 20X zoom and built in Wifi as well. Without a doubt the best compact I've ever used, well worth spending the extra £50 or £60

Also if you are looking online and find seemingly great prices beware of "grey imports" that are supplied from Hong Kong or similar. You will have problems if you ever need to make a warranty claim. This applies to all cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Depends really what you're used to and what you really want to be able to do with it!

I'm no expert by any means but I have had various 'bridge' cameras - they look like smaller versions of DSLRs but the lens isn't removable - but the optical zoom capability can be massive. I've currently got a FinePix S8000fd 18x optical zoom which produces stonkingly good shots and also an Olympus E-450 DSLR with the standard and a zoom lens, as it is a 'micro four-thirds' (I can never get my head around that!) it is smaller than a normal DSLR but with the same quality of image etc. However I find that I use the FinePix 'bridge' most of the time as it is just SOOOOOO good! The main reason I got the Olympus was to be able to take fast moving/action shots which you simply can't do with a 'bridge' camera as the shutter speed is just toooooooo slow.

I didn't have to pay a lot for either of them, I think the FinePix at the time cost me around £130 complete with leather case and some other bits, whilst the Olympus was around £165 plus another £60 for the zoom lens. As I already had tripods I can use them with either and for taking 'stills' are a necessity to get the best out of it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

• Like Like x 3
  10. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Thanks, lot's to consider (y)

11. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

You say you are not an expert...........no camera is going to make you a good photographer....time and experience and reading a few good books on exposure and composition will help.
    Forget 35 mm....too heavy and not worth the bother.....get something that will fit in your pocket and carry it with you. You will take more shots this way.

Remember what makes a good photo is subject matter..........not the camera.
    Any decent make......not this years model.............. or you will pay over the odds for things you don't need.
    Something like a Fuji EXR900........for about £170 at Amazon ................then buy and learn Photoshop Elements
    as photography these days is also about post shot processing and Photoshop is just about the best but takes some learning.

Don't waste your money or time on a 35 mm till you have taken 10o0s of shots on a good little camera.
    Even then don't bother.

I have several Nikons for studio work and a few lenses..........I would never bother to take them out with me ...only useful for me for reproduction work for magazines.

Apart from that I prefer my little Fuji X10.lovely little thing.

barry

barry

• Like Like x 4
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I just sold a mint condition Fuji X20 for less than £250. Cracking camera and takes excellent pictures ( as does the X10)
    I wouldn't bother with a dslr, they are heavy and cumbersome and take some practice to get the best results, plus, in your price range, you are going to get older models that have been overtaken by a lot of the better compacts.
    The X20 gives you superb images straight out of the camera, no need to mess about with photo editing software till you feel you want to, but, to be honest, you have to be good to get better results than the camera can give you.
    Have a look at the Fuji refurbished shop, thats all I use now.
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  13. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Panasonic make good compact cameras as Leica put their name on one though that is out of your indicated price range. My wife and I use them when I'm not using my Canon DSLR and lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I have a nikon p100 bridge camera, but found myself using my wife's Panasonic tz35 in preference as it is so much lighter, easier, but still takes brilliant photos. So I have just bought a tz60. I am very pleased with it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A factor worth considering is can it be charged from 12v or USB? I've just bought a very good camera but discovered I need 240v to charge it which is potentially a problem. There are solutions for the MH but not for my push bike. Not something I had considered before purchasing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Inverter?

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A bit heavy for my push bike! A spare battery is the answer I think, worth carrying one anyway although there seems a big difference between the genuine Olympus battery circa £50 and ones off eBay for not much more than a tenner. The cheap ones don't last as long in the camera apparently as they are slightly lower voltage but I can live with that for the price difference. :)

18. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Sorry missed it was an Olympus.

19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

What swings it for me these days is what I see through the viewfinder. Although I had a lot of time for my Fuji S9600 bridge camera I was looking at a digital screen inside the viewfinder. When I moved to a DSLR I could actually see things the way they used to look when I had a 35mm SLR - bright and crystal clear. That makes a huge difference and I've become spoilt now. I now have a digital camera that actually takes the pictures I'm seeing when I press the button.

I have a second hand Panasonic Lumix bridge camera which is good and I use it as a lightweight spare but I can't abide trying to see clearly through its digital viewfinder for 'proper' photography. Point and shoot, fine.

As for compacts that involve peering at an LCD screen on the back on a sunny day or squinting through a small square piece of clear plastic, forget it - I simply can't be arsed. However, we all have our different requirements and I'm just getting fussy in my old age.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I ditched the camera and use the Samsung galaxy s4 phone .....cameras great and takes better pics than my old dslr

And fits in my pocket :)

• Like Like x 2