What Broke on your MH this weekend

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BgClick, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BgClick

BgClick Funster

SO, things happen in threes....

This weekend :

1. As we were levelling up I pulled the Handbrake and it felt like it had come off in my hand, in fact it was just free moving because all tension was lost in the cable.

looking underneath I saw a bracket attached to either side of the van chassis where the handbrake outer tubes are captured to allow the tension (see photo). The off side bracket area where the tube mates had corroded and i had pulled the tube right through.

Luckily there was enough purchase on the top half of the bracket for me to use pliers and reform the shape enough to hold the tube.

Not sure how to proceed with it now, it seems to be working ok.

2. When opening the habitation door from outside the bottom of the handle "pinged" some bits flew past me (never to be found) and I couldn't open the door.

There is (was lol) a hinge arrangement by the look of it that allowed the action of opening the catch. We now have to push the bottom of the handle and pull the top to open the door :-(

3. When parking up back home today I turned of the ignition, removed the keys and OMG the engine carried on running. I put the keys back and tried off and on several times with no luck.

In the end I had to stall the engine, The stall seemed quite traumatic.

Does anyone know why an engine can keep running despite turning of ignition and removing keys? There was just the red battery light on when it was doing this.

Anyone else find that minor things like this are constantly happening when using the MH?

Ours is oldish (1997)

Attached Files:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

engine still running......

sounds like the fuel cutoff/stop soleniod on the fuel injector pump has jammed open

it is held open by 12v from the ignition switch and closes when the supply is removed...ign off.

removing and cleaning the plunger and seat may sort it but most likely needs replacing.

doubtful, but could also be a spurious power source caused be a short circuit somewhere in the wiring.

3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

:BigGrin: I was doing a 3 point turn on a quiet road just outside a town in France when 2 things happened.
    The gear knob came off in my hand and a spring flew past my ear-at the same time the volume of traffic increased dramatically :Rofl1:
    I managed to park up and effect a repair by wrapping duct tape round the gear stick and hammering the knob (with spring) back in place.A month later we got home,having renewed the duct tape about once a week and had to pay £40 for a Fiat gear knob.:cry:
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
  4. BgClick

BgClick Funster

Thanks PJ, I'l know what to look for now

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I had a '92 544 about 6 years ago,bought in '94,the engine wouldn't cut off and,in my case it was a faulty contact in the ignition switch.
    This week my Horizontal to vertical adjuster on my TV aerial broke,thank God for the radio!

6. pappajohn

when you find it, take it out and move the plunger in and out by hand then connect the wire, ign on and touch the soleniod body to the engine a few times.

if the plunger moves in and out freely that will confirm it works.

if no movement by hand its jammed open.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Blimy remind me not to let you near our Motorhome:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

short circuit is easy to diagnose.

remove the wire from the soleniod and connect the meter, set to dc volts, to the wire and earth with ign off.

if you get a reading then theres a short somewhere or a fault in the ign switch.

maybe try that before removing the soleniod......its easier.

9. Terry

Terry Funster

NOTHING FELL OFF/or broke as usual :Wink: but all the diesil disapeared after 350 mls :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. gasman2008

gasman2008 Read Only Funster

First time for a while on a site without EHU gas boiler worked fine for the first day then died,:Angry: I think it's an easy fix but can't get to the boiler without removing a lot of other stuff. back home now OK if a bit smelly:Wink:. Will try fixing the boiler later.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

handbrake will be an MOT fail and quite sensibly needs the bracket replacing due to corrosion

you need a replacement door handle assembly....try O'learys

sounds as PJ said like a fuel solenoid valve. they do stick when they get older/worn. I would say replace as it will fail again and cause the same problem where it would be dangerous to stall the engine

Youve not had the best of luck, but at least youre learning more about your van :thumb:

12. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

1........Exhaust fell off !!:Doh:

2........Radio kept turning itself half on ( now replaced ! )

3........Leisure batteries registering 3 volts despite solar panel on line and nothing in the van switched on !

4.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

13. BgClick

BgClick Funster

Do you want to start a splinter group LOL. Maybe call it "The Popular Front for MH Unfortunates"

• Like Like x 1
  14. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

That's funny my diesel does that too

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

not as much as mine a few weeks back..... a high pressure diesel hose blew off the pump and emptied 1/4 tank in seconds whilst trying to restart. thought it had just stalled till we smelt the diesel and looked underneath

quickly fixed though with a new hose clip:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Had a couple of occasions when the engine continued running when switched off (not on MH yet but 3 cars with the Lucas pump) - tiny rubber disc which seals the valve when ignition's switched off wears through leaving a small hole in the centre thus letting fuel continue flowing. Easy quick fix ... as long as you've got a spare rubber disc thingy :RollEyes: (although I did bodge once by carefully trimming a piece of bike inner tube which happened to be in the boot).

17. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Wardrobe door catch, poor design. You have to tilt the handle inwards to open it and I suspect someone didn't do it and now the catch is loose so won't stay shut. Todd old electricians tape did the job. Nothing else this weekend although off to Belgium and France next week so anything could happen!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. kaybee

kaybee Funster

Arrived at Saltfleet on Friday. Was quite windy but very warm, Went to open the MH diner window, the wind twisted the window and broke the strut. Hey ho! Off to Devon with it tied up with an old shoelace. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Reading all these posts is a bit of a worry, we've had no problems with the Elddis since we bought it new, apart from someone reversing into the side of us.
    However, now that we're trading it in, it's fingers crossed nothing goes wrong between now and the time we drive down south to change over in two weeks:pray:
    Bill

20. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I'm sure you'll be ok. Remember Nick Ross from Crimewatch...

"Whatever happens, don't on our account have nightmares, do sleep well.'

:Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 1