Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We have two Exide Gel G80 as originally fitted by the Hymer group, we have had the van coming up 4 years and the batteries were on when we bought it so I believe they are now 10 years old.

We have 2kw pure sine inverter running off them for the microwave, coffee machine etc and as long as we can get sun onto the 320watts of solar we are fine but without much sun we obviously have limited capacity.

Will I Gel again YES but I would like 3 next time around.

Ps the G80 are quoted by Exide as a 80ah but this is on 5hr discharge, if quoted on the usual 20hr rate they would be 100 or 110ah, I think it's an indication of the quality that they quote the at the 5hr discharge rate.

Martin

Many thanks Martin, that is very reassuring and fits in with my understanding of Gel. The size I am limited too is their 57ah version but as you say it will give a much higher power performance than the equivalent wet. In theory anyway I should end up with more overall available power from my battery bay by using gel and the additional cost is pretty irrelevant when you consider this should be a 5 to 10 year solution.

I guess my concern and reason for the post is theory is one thing but actual experience is what counts so it's good to know what others have had. Cheers

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
fact remains, the heavier a battery is for a given ah, the thicker the plates..

a fact overlooked or perhaps not thought about by some looking to buy .. it's all in the specs..
Weight is a fairly good indicator of performance. I think the extra weight in a gel is down to more densely packed plates which are thinner but because there is much more of them you have a greater surface area ....... hence the greater performance........ don't quote me though

I've read a lot of guides and articles on the subject and it's amazing how different the expert views are..... I have a feeling most batteries will do the job if they are properly maintained so it comes down to minor personal preferences. Seems like you are not alone in having a good experience of gel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I know they size is not everything to some, but being over weight is bad for your health..........:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back