What Base Vehicle ? : Poll (2) (1 Viewer)

What bas vehicle would you chose.

• Ford Transit

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Fiat x250

Votes: 41 30.1%
  • Merc. Sprinter

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Renault Traffic

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Iveco

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • VW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please expand in thread)

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hopefully this will post successfully ..

Following on from the discussion on base vehicles I thought a poll to see, if given a choice and money not a concern, what base you would choose if buying a spanking new van..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim, I voted for the merc if money was no object on a CB :ROFLMAO: but if doing a PVC I would have to seriously look at the fiat etc just for the extra width and options that would allow
terry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fiat seem to get a few knockers these days, but every one I have owned has been excellent and up to the job. There must be gazillions of motorhome miles on Fiats with only a tiny fraction of problems. I voted Fiat, and would buy another.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i would go for a mitsubishi or isuzu.either with a box or get a coach built style built. got proper size engines and weight capacities . plus most of europes manufacturers are poor on service n reliability. i look at whats happening in the world not just uk. soon be all chinese.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I'm glad I never found this forum before I parted with my cash ::bigsmile: I went out to get a fiat as Id driven a lot of the vans and found them nice to drive, they always had a few problems with rust on the bodywork but were otherwise ok, I only had a small budget and ended up with a Fiat, eldiss autostrata, 80k full service history, there is no sign of any damp and the only thing I can find a fault with is the fridge is broken (warm beer :cry:) I'm glad I cant afford a new one :ROFLMAO:

Regards, John

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Up till our previous van have always had Fiat and have been well happy, but since the latest Fiat it is not so much the van, more the attitude of Fiat. First they denied all knowledge of a problem, next it was the drivers at fault, then when they still say there is no problem but start fixing vans most without success. It has now become a lottery as to whether they do anything or not, this is not the way to treat customers, so I have taken the only option I can see and walked with my feet.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Think there should be a Pre X250 option on here.
Personally I would rather have the Iveco but not many converters use them

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Can not fault the Iveco but Jim said money no object, hence the dearest Merc :ROFLMAO::thumb:= more for it come selling time :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

It was a poll for new vans ..
.what base you would choose if buying a spanking new van..
sorry if that wasn't clear in the poll question but it has a character limit.

If I were buying new, which I won't ever do, it would be a Ford ..

but my next van will either a pre 95 Merc or pre X250 Fiat

jim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The X250 problems are blown out of all proportion frankly and thats not because I sell them.

I have them on the Hire fleet and we experience no problems with complete newbies driving them neither do we have a problem revesing them into extremely tight spaces on our sloping forecourt (on a hill!)

If they gave grief, I certainly would not sell or hire them.

Must admit I do like Mercs as a definitive alternative, try and buy as many as I can lay my hands on.

Peter

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I have the Renault Master DCi 150 with the quickshift 6 automatic gearbox & would certainly choose the same again.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We recently bought an new 3.0 Fiat after having a 2007 Transit.

The Fiat has been fine for us over the last 4 months and 4,000 miles.

I would have any on the list with the exeption of a FWD Transit, (I would have a RWD one though) and not a Reno.

Richard...

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Did a lot of research before buying our motorhome in March this year, looked at Fiat based vans first impression was good. But all I read in the motorhome press gearbox problems, funny noises from the engine, intermittent loss of power when driving put me off a Fiat. Ended up buying Ford Luton based motorhome, rear wheel drive 2.4 TDCI six-speed box, have no complaints what so ever.

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
what sort of base vehicle.....

IMHO the base vehicle never came under consideration. SWMBO gave the required specification of the habitation, and the rest just fell into place. BUT if I had my way......
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1. Toilet would have enough room to wipe the posterior.
2. Also would be on the same level all round so it wasn't necessary to stand on one leg to poo.
3. Selective 4 wheel drive, to pull one off slippy level grass, when driving a front wheel leviathon.
4.A proper size bed in which one can fart and say "Its my space".
5. Sound proofing and air con so I can watch the telly without upsetting the neighbours at 2.00am.

any more apart from a 6 litre engine that does 60 to the gallon? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ATB
DaveT

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hopefully this will post successfully ..

Following on from the discussion on base vehicles I thought a poll to see, if given a choice and money not a concern, what base you would choose if buying a spanking new van..

Not listed in the poll and probabally the 2nd most popular base vehicle is the Renault Master .After several Fiat's I purchased a Renault Master 150 DCI base ,and it would definately get my vote .:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
BUT if I had my way......
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1. Toilet would have enough room to wipe the posterior.
2. Also would be on the same level all round so it wasn't necessary to stand on one leg to poo.
3. Selective 4 wheel drive, to pull one off slippy level grass, when driving a front wheel leviathon.
4.A proper size bed in which one can fart and say "Its my space".
5. Sound proofing and air con so I can watch the telly without upsetting the neighbours at 2.00am.

Dave - I hired a MH back in April and as a result my wish list is almost the same as yours ::bigsmile: I probably wouldn't have air con.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Peugeot Chassis not out of choice it was the van (Autocruise) that swung it.

I suppose it would be nice if you could go into a dealers and say
I would like a motorhome with the following

1 Chassis by..........?
2 Gearbox..............?
3 Fwd/Rwd.............?

Etc Etc, now wouldn't that be nice to do, that but as we know that will not happen..however if I could pick a base vehicle it would be a Ford Transit RWD 5 speed manual box (cos that's what your left foot is for) as I can't get on with Auto boxes they change at the wrong time (I actually stalled one once..don't know how but I did!!)
I've driven a lot of vehicles over the years Cars,Hgv,Psv
Tracked, the list is endless, but I've always been a dyed in the wool Ford man so my vote goes to Ford with the Iveco second!!

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Why not a Renault master with a small engine and auto gearbox - absolutely fantastic an no problems with reversing, water ingress or anything else.

I wonder how many of us hear have actually driven many of these modern vans. I haven't only driven the last but one Peugeot Boxer and my current master. The master rides far more smoothly and doesn't crash over the slightest of bumps. The main downside to the Master is the very long wheelbase and relatively poor turning circle.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi oldun ,i prefer the renault mascot , rear wheel drive and greater carrying capacity .do vans or chassis cabs same engine as master. go up to 6,5 ton.cheers alan.

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
In our experience the only one thing wrong with Fiat - and that's the dealers - universally dreadful - again in our experience I suppose there must be one good one out there,
not driven any of new vans so can't really comment on poll choices

:Smile:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In our experience the only one thing wrong with Fiat - and that's the dealers - universally dreadful - again in our experience I suppose there must be one good one out there,
not driven any of new vans so can't really comment on poll choices

:Smile:

Make that - there are no good British Fiat Garages and I would probably agree with you. So far I have failed to find a bad German one. I have taken a brand new Fiat in with a failed alternator and another with an air con problem, also friends older 'vans with a a variety of problems and they have been, invariably, efficient and solved all of the problems with good grace.

I won't go into why Brit Fiat garages are so bad! I have, though, found a good independent who do Fiats - North East Truck and Van in Lincoln

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back