What Are The Rules

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by swanseajack13, May 4, 2015.

1. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

is there a standard rule about the distance between m/h and m/h caravan and caravan m/h and caravan to avoid the spread of fire the caravan club rules are 6 meters between facing walls of the above that is a good rule but do private and council site have the same rules we had a caravan sited 55inches from use by the warden not happy about that he quoted some rule about a m/h can be moved if there was a fire what a tw*t help needed from my learned funsters lol ray

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Try going to a music festival or stay on an Aire. 2 or 3 feet is usual in those cases.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No written or legally binding rule to my knowledge but common sense should Prevail.

• Like Like x 2
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

abroad they park that close if you both have swing out windows they would hit one another .
    dont use campsite is best option .

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rolo

Rolo Read Only Funster

Parked on an Aire in France last week stepped out of my vans habitation door right into my neighbour's lounge.... :LOL:

• Like Like x 10
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

can be a bit like boats moored up in a marina .
    takes some seeing just believe they park that close.
    on some aires they can almost double how many vans get on to what the books say.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Had he a small trash and moaned about getting a kick in the nuts sometime in the 1930's-1940's ?!..... It was a concentration camp (CC) you were at, wasn't it ? ;)

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Rules? There are rules?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

You know....
    Those silly little things some bollox makes up..... and
    It gives us a kick breaking them just to get a reaction !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The origin of the word "rule" is Latin and old French.... did both Latin and modern French at school but don't remember much. That's my excuse, it's all foreign to me :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

grey water drop on site????

• Like Like x 1
  12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Sites licensed by Local Authorities, have to comply with a general set of rules dating back to legislation set out in 1960 (with amendments).

Site Boundaries The boundaries of the site shall be clearly discernible on the ground by reference to, for example, fencing or otherwise defined to the satisfaction of Aberdeenshire Council, and in accordance with the approved plan. Spacing Subject to the variations in 2.2, the distance between any two units, or between a unit and a building, shall be not less than 6 metres. If there is a mixture of holiday caravans and touring caravans in the same area, the minimum spacing (including the spacing between any two holiday caravans) shall also be 6 metres. The point of measurement for the following variations of the spacings given in paragraph 3 is the exterior cladding of the unit, excluding the drawbar if any. All measurements are between the closest parts of the structures concerned. (a) (b) Porches may protrude 1 metre into the 6 metres space. If awnings are used, the distance between any part of the awning and an adjoining caravan/awning shall not be less than 3 metres. The distance between any unit and the site boundary shall be not less than 3 metres. Roads, Gateways and Footpaths The site shall be designed to provide adequate access for fire appliances. Wherever reasonable and practicable no caravan standing or toilet block shall be more than 90 metres from a site road. Common buildings and facilities shall be connected to the road by a footpath at least 0.75 metres wide and with a hard surface. Roads shall be at least 3.7 metres wide, with provision for passing places if the width of the road is less than 5.5 metres and subject to two-way traffic. This condition applies where a new site or extension is proposed and where alterations would allow the road layout to be improved. There shall be adequate turning space at the end of any cul-de-sacs. Roads shall be adequately surfaced and suitable to carry the vehicles for which they are intended. Gateways shall be a minimum of 3.1 metres wide and have a minimum height clearance of 3.7 metres. Roads shall have no overhead cables less than 4.5 metres above the ground. Roads and footpaths shall be suitably lit to allow residents to see their way about the site at night.

3.10 Emergency vehicle routes within the site shall be kept clear of obstruction at all times. 3.11 The surface, gradient and width of roads and footpaths shall take account of the requirements of persons with disabilities. 3.12 There shall be adequate surface water drainage for roads, carriageways, and footpaths. 4. 4.1 4.2 5. 5.1 5.2 6. 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Car Parking Up to two vehicles may be parked between adjoining units provided the doors to the units are not obstructed and this does not obstruct fire-fighting appliances. There shall always be 3 metres of clear space between a car belonging to one unit and any other unit. Site operators shall take particular care to ensure that other equipment, for example boats and trailers, does not encroach on the 3 metres of clear space. If particular equipment appears to the site owner to represent a potential fire hazard it shall not be stored between the caravan units. Limited parking shall be provided for any service vehicles or mobile shops which may use the site; or for caravans pulling on to while booking in or out of the site.

All Local Authorities comply with these basic rules for camp sites.

HTH,

Jock.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

That was becoming a very interesting read ..... but
    I suddenly gave up the will to live !

Sensible rules... Nae..... Simple common sense is all that is required.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

No,
    I'd wait till I was outside his office and stall it.....!
    "O look, my grey tap was open, silly me" !!

15. Cobweb

Cobweb

If there are rules about distance between pitches they certainly do not apply in many campsites in Germany and Austria . A site we stayed in in the Black Forest was like a chicken hatchery ! It was not the only one ...I must say that I expected better from the Germans . In the end we decided that it was just as good to use the stellplatzes since many of them have hookup which is all we need most of the time .

16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I thought Porsche drivers took up any space they felt like using Jock!! :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The legal position is part of the Caravan Sites & Control of Development Act 1960.

Under Section 5, local authorities may attach conditions to site licences which they issue and (ss6) the Minister may issue model standards which LAs must have regard to. The latest model standards date from 2008 and can be found Here and on many LA sites.

S5, however, only applies to licensed sites. That means that it does not apply to any site established under an exemption in Schedule 1 so it does not apply to CLs/CSs, rallies, meets or THSs or to the likes of music festivals (or, as we found, camp sites at historical re-enactment events). In reality, though, sensible CL/CS owners and rally organisers follow the model as well.

Spacing at aires in other countries is obviously not covered by UK legislation.

• Like Like x 3
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Having spoken to some Spanish campers as to why they park so close to their friends, their answer was, why wouldn't you???

• Like Like x 4
  20. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Close parking can sometimes be an advantage. On one aire last year I was able to dip my bread in my neighbour's gravy without leaving my seat.

• Like Like x 7